• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1991 KX500 sled build with modern showa forks

• Thread starter SteamboatPowersports
  • Start date
S

SteamboatPowersports

started off picking up a 1991 ktm 500 MXC for $700, cleaned it up a bit and rebuild the shock, decided that it isn't the bike for a timbersled between slim parts availability and right side drive

SOOOO, ended up trading it to a guy in denver for a 1991 KX500 that was kinda of tired

things escalated quickly and after doing a frame up rebuild on the bike with rebuild rear shock, cylinder from millennium, new crank bearings, seals, piston, frame, and even some modern showa forks off of a 2007 CRF450r the bike is running and almost ready for a timbersled kit

oh forgot to mention that the KIPS system took a lot of action on the wire wheel bench grinder to operate smoothly

add some goofy homemade extended footpegs and the bike is now awaiting a sled kit

the bike can be viewed here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1190451514400079/

photo.php

I'm hoping I can move the left side radiator forward a few inches to fit a ktm inline thermostat

and I'm going to route the bypass line for the carb heater from the coolant air bleed port on top of the cylinder head, it's a metric 6 x 1.0 thread pitch and while it would be easy to stick a trail tech coolant temperature sensor in there I'm gonna try to plumb a T fitting in there so I can run the trail tech temperature probe in addition to the bypass coolant line for the carb heater

I'm sticking with the stock carburetor now until i can afford a lectern 44HV

the bike will be getting a 2016 Timbersled Short track LE sled kit

Premium Features