• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

An official CFI Engine Failure Thread

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Well since the two guys that work at Polaris dealerships (Kinzer, SuperDave) think this thread is some kind of conspiracy I'll post my engine failure. Also I'd like to sarcastically add that Polaris owners are the only ones that modify their sleds. This is the reason these motors have such a high failure rate.

My sled broke the skirt off my PTO side piston that had 600 miles on it. I like Kinzer feel that I just got a bad piston. :face-icon-small-win

Date of Failure 13011
Year 2009
Model Dragon
Mileage 1650-650ish on updates
Engine Displacement 800
Brand of fuel and octane Shell 91
Oil Used Legend
Mapping Carl's
Ethanol Resistor connected No
Elevation that you ride 4-6K

Modifications, Pipes, Cans, Brands: SLP Single, Cylinder Porting, Pump gas shaved head
Fuel Controller's No
Intake Modifications No
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage New at 1600 miles

I
Feb 6, 2011
2007 600 HO cleanfire- ALL STOCK RIGHT FROM FACTORY
Dealer did all factory upgrades before I took delivery
I have run regular 87 octane gas the whole life of the machine
Polaris VES gold- I will be switching to an off brand synthetic--$$.

First Problem:
Year of burn down March 2009
Purchased in 2008- Last 5 days of warranty- got lucky
Mag side cylinder burned down climbing a small hill at 3/4 throttle-
Approx. 25 degrees approx: 700miles
Problem was the intake boot separated- bad laminating total rubber seperation-literally sucking air. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM WITH ALL- CHECK YOURS. I have heard that if you are running a stock intake boot it is not IF - BUT WHEN IT WILL FAIL
Dealer said there was an upgraded part that they installed.
MY ADVICE- CHECK YOUR INTAKE BOOT YEARLY

Second problem:
March 2009- last ride of the year: Aprox: 1500 miles
Threw belt at approx. 75 mph took out lower seal clutch side.
Did the work myself-new crank seal little money- big job

only rode once last year

Third Problem:
Not cured yet.
If I hit jumps and landing in soft snow the sled stalls momentarily - like a plug fouling for a split second. Frustrating as I need the power.
Still waiting on suggestions to fix. I have heard it could be exhaust being plugged by soft snow. Or the TPS being out of wack.
Idles at 2700rpms- WOT I can hit 8150 rpms and holds steady.

Fourth Problem last time out:
Broken primary spring.

Fifth Problem:
Today- 315o miles- started the sled no instrumentation or reverse. I let it warm up at idle and the instrumentation started working.

I ride hard and mostly in the back country. I use the trails to get to the DEEP SNOW. The lugs on both sides of my track are completely ripped off- some ripped down the center. I have run Polaris for twenty five years- this sled is VERY disappointing.

2dabar

Nov 26, 2007
Klamath Falls, OR
I wonder if 2dabar will mention the time his seized so he took out the dealer demo.

The demo blew up too. All in one weeks time.:face-icon-small-dis

Well if you are going to bring me into this might as well start of at the beging of the year.
12-25-08 snapped off the crank on a union bay 900 with the idustructable Indydan crank but it was ok Indydan warrented it.
March 09 08 dragon 1100 miles slp twins slp flash 91 clear with 20% 110 mixed a 4 corner stick on mag side piston dealer warrentied no ? asked dropped sled of on a thursday night gave me a 09 800 demo to ride for friday and I stuck the mag side piston on that to exhaust side. KBE had my 08 fixed monday at noon (thank you super dave) 12-09 updated head and piston have 2400 miles on sled now carls flash and 30% cut head just put the PMS kit in just to see how it works. I can't b!tch about the service we get or the issue I had with mine and I will buy another polaris when I want a new sled just for that reason.

B
Nov 10, 2010
2010 dragon 155 1135 miles when failed,, 91 octane,ngk plugs, polaris gold oil, mbrp can ride everywhere from 0-10000 feet.66 weights flatland 62 mountains. Installed power commander v after failure. Run awesome untill lost compression,runs well again. Engine repaired on warrenty.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
My turn :focus:

We all have had different experiences with these sleds. This thread is simply trying to find some common ground with all the failures.

We all have a different idea of acceptable just as we all have a different expectations of how things should be.

Some people just can't seem to get a break with their sleds while others just seem to be flawless. Is it the clutching, the altitude, the fuel map? That is what this thread is trying to learn. Lets help it be useful.

Some of you work for or have access to exceptional dealer support as well. Please keep in mind that your situation isn't the situation everyone shares. A little compassion for the frustration, inconvenience, wasted time and money that so many have endured.

You may not have had to rent a sled on your vacation because your expensive machine failed, but some have. You may not have lost riding time because parts were back ordered, but some have. Many of these people have been put through a lot already and now they have to fight a new battle as their warranty expires.

For some of you these sleds are pocket change to others it is a big investment. An investment like that turns into a committment where the person feels they have to keep the sled. Now have a sled like that, that hasn't run right in 4 years and you can see why some people are frustrated.

F

francois

Sep 2, 2010
Quebec, Canada
Guess I should add to the list: caught on fire last night in the middle of the trail!! :face-icon-small-fro Still don't know why and doubt I will cause all is left of the sled is about 2 feet of track, crank, canister, skis and a arms.

****ing glad I was in town and not in the middle of nowhere! Had to drive on the skidoo trail with my truck to go pick it up! Lucky it was hard packed and no traffic... i just don't want to know how much insurance are gonna cost me next year or actually next week!

It's pretty disturbing to see how fast 14 000$ can burn down to nothing. Would say it took about 10-15 minutes before there was nothing left.:face-icon-small-sad

2dabar

Nov 26, 2007
Klamath Falls, OR
You guys are right. I do love my clutches but WTH do Indydan and Arctic Cat have to do with this thread? Maybe you should start "The Official AC Clutch Failure" thread if it's so common.

The same reason you commented about mine I've ben keeping a eye on this thread as well as the ones that say they have a fix for them. I never posted about mine going down because it is completely different from the ones I've seen or read about with mine sticking 4 corners of the piston. Also there is only a handfull of us running slp twin pipes and from calling and asking when mine stuck a piston the consensus that I could gather from the info I got was either cold seize or DET. I also "choose" to try the pms piston shim kit to prevent a complete motor failure will it work I don't know time will tell. But I did have 1000 miles on the updated pistons there was some wear On the mag intake side skirt that you could feel with your finger nail about a 1/4" on the bottom of the skirt. I was going to replace the pistons before we went to colorado anyway so I'll be the test guy for pms. Also with the loose clearances they run now the days of running 4-5000 miles on a set of pistons is over IMO. I've ben riding for 15 years I had 1 crank bearing seize broke 1 water pump belt and stuck 1 piston so I'm not complaining. You know what they say sometimes its better to be lucky then good.:present::present::face-icon-small-hap

T
Dec 3, 2009
I've thought about doing this for a long time. I think it's time to have one thread that has nothing but engine failures. This is not at all to be a bash Polaris thread. I think we must realize that for what ever reason, some seem to be having issues and some of us are not. We need to respectful to those that are. This thread is to be ONLY for those that have had engine failures. Please don't post for your buddies or others. Please don't post that you have went 1,500 miles without any problems. I'd like to not clutter up the thread with anything but owners of affected sleds, please.

Failed Feb 2008
Year-2007
Make-polaris
Model-IQ 600 HO CFI
Mileage-2200
Engine Displacement-600cc
Track Length-121
Brand of fuel and octane-Ultramar 91 octane non ethenol
Oil Used-ves gold
Mapping-what ever came stock
Ethanol Resistor connected-no
Elevation that you ride-0 to 1500'
Area's or locations that you ride- trails, lakes

Completely stock
Engine failed under warranty, got complete new engine, dont know why it failed and since a new motor at n/c didn't care

in 2009 the engine crapped again, stator and flywheel failed. Fixed and dumped the sled

S
Sep 29, 2008
Date of Failure:1/22/11
Year:2008
Make:polaris
Model:Dragon
Mileage:2000
Engine Displacement:800cc
Track Length:163
Brand of fuel and octane:91
Oil Used:ves gold
Mapping:SLP 216
Ethanol Resistor connected:yes
Elevation that you ride:7000-9500
Area's or locations that you ride:SW Montana

Modifications, Pipes, Cans, Brands: SLP pipe can and y pipe
Fuel Controller's: PCV
Intake Modifications: SLP air intank
Clutch Mod's, kit: Rons-61 gram weights
Gearing, if other than stock: dropped one tooth
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage:not since i bought it
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.:no
Aftermarket Boards...:snow elemators
Drop N Roll:no
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer:no

EDIT I've added a few more questions

Warranty: no
When did Warranty Expire
Updated Pistons yes
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc. 4 sided piston seize
Compression Test/Results
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure:no

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
DELETED - didn't read the original post thoroughly (don't want good news stories)

DD. Sorry about that, try not to take it personal. We have plenty of guys that are not having any problems and it's hard for these guys to understand those that are. I just didn't want to see the thread turn into the direction of, "well my sled went 1,500 miles with no problems so I don't understand what everyone is complaining about" If we didn't have the controversial 75 post limit, it wouldn't be as big issue.

Guess I should add to the list: caught on fire last night in the middle of the trail!! :face-icon-small-fro Still don't know why and doubt I will cause all is left of the sled is about 2 feet of track, crank, canister, skis and a arms.

****ing glad I was in town and not in the middle of nowhere! Had to drive on the skidoo trail with my truck to go pick it up! Lucky it was hard packed and no traffic... i just don't want to know how much insurance are gonna cost me next year or actually next week!

It's pretty disturbing to see how fast 14 000$ can burn down to nothing. Would say it took about 10-15 minutes before there was nothing left.:face-icon-small-sad

DD. This sucks. I've been there man and there's nothing you can say.

Diamonddave maybe you could add what color injectors to the list also maybe certain colors are more prone to go down then others. Mine are yellow.

DD. Thank you this is a good addition. I've thought about some other stuff as well i just hope people aren't posting because I/we are seeking too much information. i don't believe we can ever get ENOUGH information. I will add this.

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA
Date of Failure 2-8-11
Year 09
Make polaris
Model d8
Mileage 500
Engine Displacement 800
Track Length 163
Brand of fuel and octane chevron 91
Oil Used redline
Mapping dynotec
Elevation that you ride 3-8k

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands slp can
Fuel Controller's pcv
Intake Modifications none
Clutch Mod's, kit
Gearing, if other than stock 19-42
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage not yet
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc. none
Aftermarket Boards...yes
Drop N Roll no
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer supposedly my vr was out, got that replace, adjusted idle, and set tps, still would'nt run the next day, pulled pv next day and yep, exhaust side was shot.

Warranty yes or no no
When did Warranty Expire 3 months ago
Updated Pistons yes or no yes
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc.
Lost a ring on exhaust side, need a head, both pistons(pto side was showing heavy wear marks) and cylinder redone
Compression Test/Results if done none
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure no

Edit 2-12-11 Thanks to 2dabar

Injector Color yellow

Also:

Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc. enclosed and deck
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc. indoor
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure overcast and 26
How may miles into the ride failure occurred 7 miles

M

MajorDirty

Dec 5, 2007
Kelso, WA
Date of Failure 12/30/10
Year 2008
Make Polaris
Model Dragon
Mileage 1700
Engine Displacement 800
Track Length 155
Brand of fuel and octane 91 non-ethanol
Oil Used VES
Mapping January 2010
Ethanol Resistor connected connected
Elevation that you ride 3K-6K
Area's or locations that you ride Chinook Pass, WA

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands None
Fuel Controller's PCV
Intake Modifications
Clutch Mod's, kit 68g MTX, 62/42/36 Helix
Gearing, if other than stock 19/42
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage 1200 miles
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.
Aftermarket Boards...
Drop N Roll
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer voltage regulator/ECU

Warranty yes or no No
When did Warranty Expire June 2010
Updated Pistons yes or no Yes
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc.
broke piston skirt, blew through the case.
Compression Test/Results if done
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure No.

Throttlebody boot delaminated, causing massive airleak.

indyguy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Northern Alberta
I've thought about doing this for a long time. I think it's time to have one thread that has nothing but engine failures. This is not at all to be a bash Polaris thread. I think we must realize that for what ever reason, some seem to be having issues and some of us are not. We need to respectful to those that are. This thread is to be ONLY for those that have had engine failures. Please don't post for your buddies or others. Please don't post that you have went 1,500 miles without any problems. I'd like to not clutter up the thread with anything but owners of affected sleds, please.

Try to list as much information as possible and lets see if we can try to come up with some information that might be of some benefit. This thread is intended to give us some information that might help ALL CFI owners. If you've had multiple failures, try to list the dates and mileages if possible.

I would like to compile this information on a spreadsheet and send it Polaris asking for their inputs and anything we as owners of these sleds could do to avert possible issues. If someone wishes to not post in the thread, you could pm me your info.

Please list the following:

Date of Failure - Feb 5, 2011
Year -- 2008
Make -- RMK
Model -- 700 cfi
Mileage -- 1800mile
Engine Displacement -- 700cc
Track Length--155"
Brand of fuel and octane - Shell regular - all the time or farm purple
Oil Used - Amsoil Interceptor
Mapping - stock
Ethanol Resistor connected - no
Elevation that you ride -- 2000-8000'
Area's or locations that you ride - Albert BC

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands Slp pipe/HPS can, SLP airhorn
Fuel Controller's - none
Intake Modifications
Clutch Mod's, kit
Gearing, if other than stock 19/42
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage -- 1500 miles
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc. - none
Aftermarket Boards... Better Boards
Drop N Roll
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer - handlebar warmer recall

Warranty yes or no - none
When did Warranty Expire - March 2010
Updated Pistons yes or no - no
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc. -- Rod bearing on mag side cratered. Both piston skirts were also very thin - single ring pistons. Mag side piston had some damage from the shrapenal
Compression Test/Results if done 125 PSI beginning of season
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure - no

Injector Color

Also:

Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc. Everything
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc. -- stored in shop and fogged
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure -- -15c
How may miles into the ride failure occurred
1800 miles

I have some theories but would like to see some more data. Thank you for your time. I realize I'm looking for alot of information but I'm not so sure the issues are that cut and dry.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C
Feb 13, 2011
2008 Switchback 700

2200 miles on it over three years

broken crank, snapped off clean at the block

No warranty
Dealer told me too bad so sad we are not even going to call Polaris about a possible defective cast

It will cost me $2600 to fix it.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Mag side cylinder skirt broke off went through cases and destroyed entire motor.
Date of Failure Jan 09
Year 08
Make
Model Dragon
Mileage 1200
Engine Displacement 800
Track Length 163
Brand of fuel and octane TrackTec 111 Straight
Oil Used Red Line
Mapping 09
Ethanol Resistor connected no
Elevation that you ride 8000-12000
Area's or locations that you ride CO WY MT UT

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands Boondocker Turbo
Fuel Controller's Boondocker
Intake Modifications 12lbs of forced induction
Clutch Mod's, kit SLP and Team
Gearing, if other than stock
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage New Filter with new motor
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc. Stock
Aftermarket Boards... Better Boards
Drop N Roll No
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer No

Warranty yes or no No
When did Warranty Expire
Updated Pistons yes or no No Went back together with a different top end
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc. Cylinder skirt broke and caused broken cases damaged crank bearings and a full crate motor
Compression Test/Results if done No
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure No

Injector Color Yellow

Also:

Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc.
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc.
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure

Sled hauled and stored in an enclosed trailer, weather was winter time, and happened 50 foot from trailer after sled was 115 water temp and not on boost when it failed. Currently running a different top end but prior to this top end I would change pistons every year. Also changed cylinders on the crate motor as they were out of spec from factory. That part was warrantied.

EDIT...ADDED INFO ASKED FOR BY wstilson, Thank you.

Has clutch been balanced...yes or no Yes. shimmed and cleaned every 500 miles.

W
Feb 8, 2011
1/22/2011 Broke crank, primary clutch, motor mounts, motor cases damaged.
Polaris
Dragon
1085 miles
800 cfi
Pacific Pride 91 non-ethonol
Amsoil interceptor
Stock Map
5k to 8k elevation
Northeastern Oregon, Eagle Caps

Mod's
SLP Can
Tether/ Lanyard
No Fuel Controller
No Intake Modification
No Clutch Mod's
Stock Gearing
No Fuel filter Replacement
No Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.
Standard update/ warranty work performed at the dealer
Primary clutch seperated at the base of the rear sheave, broke down 2nd ride out on new clutch, about a mile away from the pickup.

It looks like my same issue in mine.

P

polaris all the way

Feb 4, 2010
fort mcmurray, alberta
Date of Failure Feb 13/2011
Year 2009
Make polaris
Model switchback
Mileage1600
Engine Displacement
Track Length 136
Brand of fuel and octane petro canada 91
Oil Used polaris gold
Mapping jan flash
Ethanol Resistor connected
Elevation that you ride no

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands slp pipe set
Fuel Controller's pcv with stage 2 slp map
Intake Modifications slp high flow intake
Clutch Mod's, kit slp weights and spring to match set up

Warranty yes or no no
When did Warranty Expire oct. 2010
Updated Pistons yes or no yes
Type of Failure
burned down mag side piston and cylinder scored
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure yes, blinking after installed april flash when wide open throttle, never done this before the april flash so reinstalled jan. flash and installed pcv and no detonation after that

Injector Color yellow

Type of Sled Transportation
open trailer but always covered
Sled Storage trailer covered or heated garage
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure -11 celcius sunny
all of about 3 miles

Has clutch been balanced no

W

WORKSUCKS

Jan 13, 2008
Victoria BC
Date of Failure - Jan 9th 2011
Year - 2009
Make - Polaris
Model - Dragon
Mileage - 808 - 400 after 2010 update
Engine Displacement - 800
Track Length - 155
Brand of fuel and octane - 91 shell, no ethanol
Oil Used - polaris synthetic
Mapping - stock - last time at dealer was somtime in Nov/Dec/Jan 09/10 - stock map from then, not really sure, think it had new map from dealer with 2010 update
Ethanol Resistor connected - non ethanol setup
Elevation that you ride - 3,000'-7,000'
Area's or locations that you ride - British Columbia, Canada

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands - Stock
Fuel Controller's - Stock
Intake Modifications - Stock
Clutch Mod's, kit - Stock
Gearing, if other than stock - Stock
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage - Only 2 services ever, 150 miles + 2010 update at 400 miles, 1 year earlier
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc. - stock
Aftermarket Boards... - Stock
Drop N Roll - Stock
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer - 2010 update

Warranty yes or no - Delear says they have put in a request, have not heard back yet, still not fixed, sled has been there for 2 weeks, requires piston kit and cylinder - dealer was waiting for pistons
When did Warranty Expire - Original 1 year - Oct 2009?, 2010 update (1 year warranty?) not sure installed fall 2009 (oct/nov)
Updated Pistons yes or no - 2010 update yes
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc. - Piston, top ring siezed on piston (caused low compression), piston is scuffed, cylinder not badly damaged but cannot hone out
Compression Test/Results if done - Mag 70lbs, other side 125lbs - according to dealer
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure - no

Injector Color - Dont know

Also:

Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc. - Sled deck, cover on bad weather
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc. - Indoors, heated warehouse
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure - Clear, sunny -10 celcius, couple feet powder day
How may miles into the ride failure occurred - Hours in, 1/2 tank fuel

Has clutch been balanced...yes or no - Not unless thats part of 1st service?

Premium Features