• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aro spindle

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
Something that I was thinking about the other day when mounting my new ARO ski/spindle on my 16 ST MH. The new ARO ski is wider and stiffer than the old setup. It also runs single outside “carbides”. The wider and stiffer ski puts more leverage on the spindle. I see every one beefing up their spindle up top with spacers, yet almost all of the pics show the new ARO spindle bending at the lowest narrowest point above the mounting block.

I’m thinking about using my old spindle with the new ski. I know my forks could take the hit. Most of the fork failures look like a direct impact vs. a glancing impact that bends the spindle. I suspect a direct impact will bend the forks regardless of which spindle is being used. It’s all a gamble!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Something that I was thinking about the other day when mounting my new ARO ski/spindle on my 16 ST MH. The new ARO ski is wider and stiffer than the old setup. It also runs single outside “carbides”. The wider and stiffer ski puts more leverage on the spindle. I see every one beefing up their spindle up top with spacers, yet almost all of the pics show the new ARO spindle bending at the lowest narrowest point above the mounting block.

I’m thinking about using my old spindle with the new ski. I know my forks could take the hit. Most of the fork failures look like a direct impact vs. a glancing impact that bends the spindle. I suspect a direct impact will bend the forks regardless of which spindle is being used. It’s all a gamble!

After comparing the ski’s extensively I don’t think one is more flexible than the other front to back.
If anything aro ski flexes more side to side than the Simmons.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I think I mentioned it before -- it is that stupid centre carbide that is almost double the size of the old one with no reasonable approach angle to slide over stuff.

Fact 1 spindles buckle Ok spindel may be a weak point

Fact 2 fork tubes buckle

Makes me think there is something else going on .

And I rather buckle a pedestal than a Fork if i have a choice in the matter

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
After a couple rides on the new spindld mine was already starting too open up. Sure i hit a few things but nothing hard. The front was splayed out about a quarter inch. I sucked it back together (mostly) with the 12 dollar timbersled piece and added another for fun.

93355026-53E4-44BA-9814-5CA142675096.jpg A78B3B7E-7CEB-410B-B467-6C0431F330F9.jpg

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I think I mentioned it before -- it is that stupid centre carbide that is almost double the size of the old one with no reasonable approach angle to slide over stuff.

Fact 1 spindles buckle Ok spindel may be a weak point

Fact 2 fork tubes buckle

Makes me think there is something else going on .

And I rather buckle a pedestal than a Fork if i have a choice in the matter

Never heard of a Snowtech spindle buckling or bending a single fork tube...

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
After a couple rides on the new spindld mine was already starting too open up. Sure i hit a few things but nothing hard. The front was splayed out about a quarter inch. I sucked it back together (mostly) with the 12 dollar timbersled piece and added another for fun.
attachment.php
Send them a bill , you did them a favor :face-icon-small-hap

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Never heard of a Snowtech spindle buckling or bending a single fork tube...

There’s what under a thousand snowtech kits built ever?

Probably 15000 Timbersled kits out there.

Do the math, what are you going to hear more about?

Common sense says no matter what spindle you have a big enough hit high on the spindle will bend fork tubes.

The snowtech spindle is strong nobody is doubting that.

Saying the forks “splay out” more with one spindle than another is ignoring the axle that ties the two fork legs together.

Last edited:

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
anyone ever end up bracing the bottom section for side to side? I already tweaked the bottom of mine all too easy on the first ride lol

Premium Features