• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

protecting the ECU?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
Wanting to bring this back up, as I had VR and ECU failure this past weekend, on a otherwise trouble free 08 800 with 1800 miles. Just wondering what most of you had/have done. Really don't want for it to happen again, as this time was lucky and not too far in the backcountry. Nothing much for info from dealer. Any input appreciated. Thanks

I put a fan under the cover last year and it still is working great! The other thing I did was to move the capacitor outside of the cover so that the fan blew directly onto the VR. I honestly believe keeping the air moving across the VR, cool air that is, it has made a difference. I have some pictures posted here in this thread you can look at.

A

ajbond

Jan 29, 2010
Ogden
Is it wise to add ground from belt cover to electonic shelf. All hot wires read 3v is shelf is used as a ground.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
There appears to be a common ground on the shelf. I added a strap from that point to a chassis ground just to be sure.

A

ajbond

Jan 29, 2010
Ogden
That ground is on the shroud and the shelf is insulated with rubber dampners from the shroud. On mine from the same hot wire i get 3v from shelf and 13v from shroud.

A

ajbond

Jan 29, 2010
Ogden
I had an extra flo rite vent that I installed at the top of the shock tower to alow air flow between and over the electronics shelf. cut the foam between shelf into 1" strips and glued around the perimiter of shroud to contain air flow. then drilled 1" holes before and under vr to creat a flow of air across vr. Not as good as a fan but will be cold/cool air vs. under hood heated air. could make a difference.

squirrel chaser

Lifetime Membership
Mar 27, 2008
centeral Mn
ECM

Had a weird problem with 2010 D8 163. Started with loosing a cylinder when I would lean to one side come back up or other side worked fine,Thought a fuel problem so took it in to dealer in Cooke City (who is excellent mechanic) and he tried several things with fuel system and flashing ECM nothing worked.He finally took a ECM of of a rental he had to try it and that solved the problem.He had to take it back off as he needed his sled running and made every effort to get a new one with no luck. We came back to MN and talked to dealers here and they new of ECM problems caused by Vr and said they may be able to get it warrantied if the re diagnosed everything.So we contacted Cooke and asked him if he heard of this and yes he had and he would try to help us if we wanted to bring it back out the following season. We did and he installed a new ECM only as he didn't think the VR was a problem.It works great no problems put on nearly 450 miles so far but try as they may Polaris would not stand behind it! When questioned about why they would not,as they have such an issue with these parts they basically recited the warranty and if we needed any other help one of there qualified technicians would be glad to help (for a fee I'm Sure!) I love Polaris's but I must admit I was quite disappointed:director: with this. (There were only 450 miles on the sled when problem started 2 months out of warranty with an extended engine warranty still in effect)!!!!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
What we know...

1)Poor grounding. Please add a ground strap from ECM ground (Chassis) to Engine. I added 2, mine is E-start.
2)No Hot grip/tailight fuses. Add fuses. A short to ground in these circuits will pop the ECM. What amp fuses would you recommend for this application?
3)Voltage Regulators seem to be running at a very high temperature. Some have added fans, additional venting.

I need to add cork insulation under my grips, so this should be a great time to replace my VR (which is acting up) and fuse the grips.

Premium Features