• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T3 spindles vs. SLP spindles

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Went out today for the first ride of the season. Just did 20+ miles on road. Noticed a HUGE difference in the bumps on the trail, way more predicable, also noticed that when getting it on edge was easier as well bbbuuuttt first hard right noticed that the steering/turning radius is way less then before even when going left. There is a bump stop welded to the lower a arm and was thing of cutting that off first before trying to modify the spindle. Thoughts on this would help otherwise might have to see if anyone wants to trade/buy XM spindles

So, what you found was that just the T3 spindle alone doesn't work because of reduced turning radius? Need the A-arms also??
I've been shopping for XM spindles, waiting to find out before committing to spending the $$.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
So, what combination is right, I have an 09 X with Flex-Edge track, S-36 front end, Slydog 7" PowderHounds.
I'm going to install the DS2 skis I swapped out from my 14 XM, which spindle do I want to be looking for? XM, or SLP's??

I would go with SLP spindles, just be aware that you will have a little less clearance at the lower a-arms so watch for stumps and rocks.

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
So, what you found was that just the XM spindle alone doesn't work because of reduced turning radius? Need the A-arms also??
I've been shopping for XM spindles too, waiting to find out before committing to spending the $$.

The XM spindle works with the S-36 kit no problem. I was using the new spindle for the new T3 suspension Ski-Doo has come out with. If I could do it over I would just buy the XM spindle for my sled but have heard that the SLP spindles are nice.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
I gotcha, wasn't paying attention to what I was typing, for using the T3 spindles you need the a-arms for the RAS2 front end, I have a pair of XM spindles coming for my spare DS2 skis.
Gonna go that route on the front end, maybe pick up a T-Motion upgrade if the price is right. Put the S36 front end on my 09 XP last spring and it just didn't do much, getting rid of the 7" PowderHound skis in favor of the DS2's.

I pretty much just bring this sled along for a backup,I don't want to get rid of it because i've got alot of parts invested in it, has 1666 miles on it and still runs good, my son rode it a couple weeks ago, was way harder to ride than his 06 Rev with 37" A.I. front end.
Of course! :face-icon-small-win

W

wakeska813

Nov 5, 2011
Huh?! When I put the s-36 on thought it made a big difference, mind you I had put on the ds1 skis in place of the 6.9 skis. Have you done 2wheel on the 09? Made a noticeable difference for me when I did that. Just put on tmotion and waiting to ride.

Want to do post forward but will go the cheaper doo route using stock parts, then XM spindles and open up the running boards, other than that I love the sled just need some snow to start flying!!!!

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
I need to ride the XP more, only rode it a couple days with the S36 front last season, then bought a 14 163X. haven't wanted to get back on the XP much since, my son rode it for a day a few weeks ago and he commented it was more work than his 06 Rev too. And he rides it!!:face-icon-small-win
I don't know if the extra 1" of the PowderHound skis are a factor or not, got the DS2 skis ready for install, am waiting for the XM spindles to show, prolly today.
I'm sure I was expecting more of just the S36 front end, and then after riding an XM I was blown away by the difference of ease of riding the XM and how much better the 163 gets up on the snow.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Got my XM spindles, DS2 skis, S36 front end setup installed, made a noticable differance in handling, much better.
Snow conditions were setup in Cooke with 3-4" fresh on top, so not best to try it out but it lays over now.
Have 2 wheel axle and flex-edge track on back, IceAge Rails with revised geometry and longer front shock on skid.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
So it looks like the xm spindles are the way to go? Do you lose the ground clearance like you do with the SLP? If you look at my sig the spindles are the only mod left to do...want to get the right ones.

Premium Features