• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WSSA Votes for Registration Fee Increase

M
Nov 28, 2007
During the March Membership/Budget Meeting held on March 10th, the majority of members present voted in favor of increasing snowmobile registrations by $40 per machine (from $33.75 to $73.75). WSSA will seek legislation to make this change at the earliest opportunity, most likely during the next regular legislative session. (WSSA will check to see if it is possible to pursue this during the special session starting Monday, March 12.) If you have input on this subject, please let the WSSA Board, and specifically your WSSA District Rep, know. (Click the 'Contacts' menu item on the left side of the WSSA website at www.wssa.us.)

(You are free to comment on this thread, but if you want your opinion heard, make sure you contact your WSSA representative.)

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
i already contacted them! this is BS. this state is just trying to force out all outdoor activities but pricing us out.

this is just like the discovery pass crap, if the funds went to the outdoor sports and areas i would be all for it.

now the ticket is cheaper that the regestration, and what are the funds going to? knowing our loveley mathematically challenged govenor and her flying monkeys, it will go in the general fund to help pay for their pay increases and their car and trip allowances.

trade those sleds off for some snowshoes, cause before long their will be almost no wheeling, snowmobiling or riding of any kind left here.

M
Nov 28, 2007
i already contacted them! this is BS. this state is just trying to force out all outdoor activities but pricing us out.

this is just like the discovery pass crap, if the funds went to the outdoor sports and areas i would be all for it.

now the ticket is cheaper that the regestration, and what are the funds going to? knowing our loveley mathematically challenged govenor and her flying monkeys, it will go in the general fund to help pay for their pay increases and their car and trip allowances.

trade those sleds off for some snowshoes, cause before long their will be almost no wheeling, snowmobiling or riding of any kind left here.

A couple of points to clear up.

The state is not requesting this. State Parks is explaining what the shortfall is, but is leaving it up to the users to decide what to do about it. (Increase funds, by what means, or cut services.) Check out the State Parks article in the current Snoflyer posted online at www.wssa.us for information.

WSSA is an independent organization, not affiliated with the state. (Details on the organization can be found at www.wssa.us under the 'About WSSA' menu item.

Any registration increase, (or any other fee increase), WSSA, State Parks & others have considered, would directly benefit the snowmobile fund. This is a dedicated account, and although it is possible it could be swept, is safer than most. (With the legislature nearing a budget solution, our dedicated fund is likely safe this time around. If the economy improves, or even remains steady, our fund is likely safe in the future as well.) State Parks Winter Rec manages the snowmobile program and approximately 90% of the money goes to grooming, plowing, snowmobile-related law enforcement and safety education. (Approximately 10% covers overhead including Winter Rec staffing.)

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
They all ready don't plow the snowparks this is load of crap.

A 10 or 15 bucks is one thing but 40 bucks is stupid. So you guys want me to spend an extra 160 bucks a year to register my sleds for what ?

How about I just don't register them... the ticket would be cheaper.

And yes I know that is a stupid point ... and not what I would do... but many will. The honest truth is the extra sled I register now and often times never even goes out will get sold. 295.00 a year for me to register my sleds is too much....

Last edited:
J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
A couple of points to clear up.

The state is not requesting this. State Parks is explaining what the shortfall is, but is leaving it up to the users to decide what to do about it. (Increase funds, by what means, or cut services.) Check out the State Parks article in the current Snoflyer posted online at www.wssa.us for information.

WSSA is an independent organization, not affiliated with the state. (Details on the organization can be found at www.wssa.us under the 'About WSSA' menu item.

Any registration increase, (or any other fee increase), WSSA, State Parks & others have considered, would directly benefit the snowmobile fund. This is a dedicated account, and although it is possible it could be swept, is safer than most. (With the legislature nearing a budget solution, our dedicated fund is likely safe this time around. If the economy improves, or even remains steady, our fund is likely safe in the future as well.) State Parks Winter Rec manages the snowmobile program and approximately 90% of the money goes to grooming, plowing, snowmobile-related law enforcement and safety education. (Approximately 10% covers overhead including Winter Rec staffing.)

as much as i understand what you are saying, and thanks for adding and clearing up my thoughts, please understand, we dont pay our tabs to the wssa, we pay them to the state and in the end they can and have decided to do what they want those funds. $40 dollar increase is absurd, and preverted. and shame on the wssa for thinking our funds are safe moving forward. if this goes through whats next $150 a year for tabs? it worked once, why wont it work again? i am all for paying my way to play, but...
i am willing to bet with the increase we run into the same sort of conversations about plowing and grooming we see here every year.

i am not trying to be difficult or beat any one up, so please dont see this this way. but when the people who are suposed to have our backs screw us this way, what does that say to the group who is trying to screw us?

M
Nov 28, 2007
we dont pay our tabs to the wssa, we pay them to the state and in the end they can and have decided to do what they want those funds. $40 dollar increase is absurd, and preverted. and shame on the wssa for thinking our funds are safe moving forward. if this goes through whats next $150 a year for tabs? it worked once, why wont it work again? i am all for paying my way to play, but...
i am willing to bet with the increase we run into the same sort of conversations about plowing and grooming we see here every year.

i am not trying to be difficult or beat any one up, so please dont see this this way. but when the people who are suposed to have our backs screw us this way, what does that say to the group who is trying to screw us?

Don't worry, I'm not taking any offense personally.

Again, I stress the importance of making your voice heard to the WSSA Board (and I mean this to everyone, pro or con).

Regarding the sweeps. WSSA has two well-respected lobbyists working in Olympia. Dan Fallstrom is WSSA's legislative chair and he spends a lot of time in Olympia on WSSA's behalf as well. (Between the three of them, they have many contacts with important people.) The 'All Trails to Olympia Day' event members participate in gets WSSA face time with legislators as well. You are right there is no guarantee our fund will never be swept, but our fund is better protected than most. This recent session started out scary and snowmobilers (as well as OHVers and boaters) were right to be concerned. But users spoke up and all indicators are our message was heard and our accounts spared. Regarding snowmobile fee increases, at this point, I wouldn't let the threat of a possible sweep be a deciding factor. It is certainly reasonable for it to be a consideration, don't get me wrong, but I don't think a sweep should be anyone's prime focus right now.

Remember the legislative process too. Regardless of what anyone, WSSA or otherwise, proposes, a request for legislation must be sponsored by a legislator(s), gain support, pass out of committee, be passed by one chamber or the other, reconciled with and passed in the other chamber, and then be signed by the governor. It is not an easy process. WSSA knows the best way for legislation to be passed is to promote a bill that has majority support from snowmobilers. That's you, me, and everyone else that owns the 28,000+ registered sleds in the sate.

M
Nov 28, 2007
They all ready don't plow the snowparks this is load of crap.

Moving slightly off-topic for a second... Anytime you find problems in a sno-park or with grooming, it is imperative you provide written comments to the State Parks Winter Rec staff. They actually have a commet card for this. (On the WSSA website, click on 'Documents' and ten 'Trail Information' to find the old State Parks Comment Form. They will accept it as well.)

It isn't easy to remove, or maybe even change habits, of a contracted employee, but it is impossible without documentation.

Hey, and you can also comment on the good things you see too!

You are also welcome to attend any Grooming Council meeting held for each area and talk about your concerns their too. The State Parks Winter Rec staff can put you in touch with these councils.

Now, back to the issue at hand...

S
Sep 14, 2010
where ever I am
I say raise the fee this time, if they screw us ( the state ) all should protest and burn our sleds in Olympia, after our protest ask them to buy us new sleds so we can partake in the winter state fund programs as a minority user group.

Seriously, if there is no change in the attitude in maintaining snow parks and our trail systems I will protest by opting out of buying tabs, this raise in fees better be the last I see for at least 15 years. i am sure they the State will try keep most of the added funding in a slush fund for pet programs, we should be ever vigilant in assuring this doesn't happen and assuring this community the dollars are spent on our trails. WSSA will have there hands full keeping the politicians hands out of our dollars, I hope Olympia doesn't pour a ton of dollars into enforcement and skip grooming and plowing services or adds more administration staff costs. These dollars should be for grooming only.
We need to support our sport and protect our riding areas, I urge all to support our programs and hold our politicians accountable, 40 dollars more is really little money at the end of the day hope the raise will help our sport.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Its about time. We have been complaining about grooming and snopark maintenance for years and trying to get the funding to improve these for at least 10 years.
$33 a year including a $15 snopark pass is nothing. This is more realistic and hopefully the results will be visible or allow for expanded grooming or grooming to be done earlier and later in the season as needed.
I will happily pay another $40 to have a place to park and a smooth trail to ride on. Have to pay to play, nothing is free.
Perhaps having a bigger pool of money will also give sledders a more powerful voice when it comes to keeping areas open to ride???

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
Don't worry, I'm not taking any offense personally.

Again, I stress the importance of making your voice heard to the WSSA Board (and I mean this to everyone, pro or con).

Regarding the sweeps. WSSA has two well-respected lobbyists working in Olympia. Dan Fallstrom is WSSA's legislative chair and he spends a lot of time in Olympia on WSSA's behalf as well. (Between the three of them, they have many contacts with important people.) The 'All Trails to Olympia Day' event members participate in gets WSSA face time with legislators as well. You are right there is no guarantee our fund will never be swept, but our fund is better protected than most. This recent session started out scary and snowmobilers (as well as OHVers and boaters) were right to be concerned. But users spoke up and all indicators are our message was heard and our accounts spared. Regarding snowmobile fee increases, at this point, I wouldn't let the threat of a possible sweep be a deciding factor. It is certainly reasonable for it to be a consideration, don't get me wrong, but I don't think a sweep should be anyone's prime focus right now.

Remember the legislative process too. Regardless of what anyone, WSSA or otherwise, proposes, a request for legislation must be sponsored by a legislator(s), gain support, pass out of committee, be passed by one chamber or the other, reconciled with and passed in the other chamber, and then be signed by the governor. It is not an easy process. WSSA knows the best way for legislation to be passed is to promote a bill that has majority support from snowmobilers. That's you, me, and everyone else that owns the 28,000+ registered sleds in the sate.

exactly, write write and call your reps and bitch and complain and make yourself heard.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
It looks like I won't be buying tabs next year...Oh wait I haven't even bought them for my new sled this year. I think for me, registering one sled a year is enough money down the tube. That and buying the two additional parking permits I need for this *** backwards state. Olympia can kiss it. I won't be throwing more money at those vulchers. Fight the power.

And for you Sally's that say..."but we need the parking lots plowed and the trails groomed." I don't. I will tough out the whoops or ride somewhere that doesn't have them. And I will bring a shovel and chains and make sure I have snow tires. I don't need my hand held.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Thanks for the name calling....if Im a sally so be it. LOL
Thats your choice....but please stay off groomed trails and out of snoparks if you choose not to support them. It takes money to have those things.
I like to have a place to park. The areas i ride would be impossible to ride without a place to park. I would much rather pay a few dollars than spend my day trying to park in 3 ft of fresh.... I dont think you're being realistic, we wouldnt make it 10 feet on a unplowed road with a trailer and hopefully it never comes to that. Keep in mind this is a family sport, some people enjoy taking their kids in the motorhome, spending a weekend and riding smooth trails.
Thanks to those that put in the effort to get this done and their support of the sport!
Perhaps you will feel differently if you were confident the money went only to sledding? Or exactly how the money is spent and what benefit you get from it?

J

jeepdad

Feb 19, 2011
PUYALLUP, WA
Thanks for the name calling....if Im a sally so be it. LOL
Thats your choice....but please stay off groomed trails and out of snoparks if you choose not to support them. It takes money to have those things.
I like to have a place to park. The areas i ride would be impossible to ride without a place to park. I would much rather pay a few dollars than spend my day trying to park in 3 ft of fresh.... I dont think you're being realistic, we wouldnt make it 10 feet on a unplowed road with a trailer and hopefully it never comes to that. Keep in mind this is a family sport, some people enjoy taking their kids in the motorhome, spending a weekend and riding smooth trails.
Thanks to those that put in the effort to get this done and their support of the sport!
Perhaps you will feel differently if you were confident the money went only to sledding? Or exactly how the money is spent and what benefit you get from it?

well put, i DO enjoy our snow parks, but the increase seems a little extreme and wondoring if all the $ will make it back to us... when internally we know it will be only a small percentage.

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
This sounds good

Its about time. We have been complaining about grooming and snopark maintenance for years and trying to get the funding to improve these for at least 10 years.
$33 a year including a $15 snopark pass is nothing. This is more realistic and hopefully the results will be visible or allow for expanded grooming or grooming to be done earlier and later in the season as needed.
I will happily pay another $40 to have a place to park and a smooth trail to ride on. Have to pay to play, nothing is free.
Perhaps having a bigger pool of money will also give sledders a more powerful voice when it comes to keeping areas open to ride???

but idaho,oregon,montana and utah get this done for the same money we pay now . I paid 75 bucks for idaho and montana and have yet to ride a whooped out trail. Its always whooped out at st helens they need to figure it out make our funds go to the parks we want and i have 4 machines. Wouldn't washinton be happy taking all our funds at 75 a machine lol.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
my opinion

the license fee should be
$200.00 i would pay in a heartbeat

i have already paid that riding in canada this year for trail fees

the rest of you are just whiners

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
but idaho,oregon,montana and utah get this done for the same money we pay now . I paid 75 bucks for idaho and montana and have yet to ride a whooped out trail. Its always whooped out at st helens they need to figure it out make our funds go to the parks we want and i have 4 machines. Wouldn't washinton be happy taking all our funds at 75 a machine lol.

Can you imagine what the Idaho trails would be like if they cut their funding by 60%? it would be like Wa's. Hopefully this will result in better trails at sthelens.

Premium Features