• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009, 850 Polaris Engine??

mfarmboy95

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2009
West Central, MN
I was at an autobody shop the other day and was looking around and saw a sled that had been dinged up a bit, it looked to be an 09 dragon, tunnel and everything was straight, looks like an few easy fixes, I looked at the motor and it said 850 across the head. I looked at the side of the tunnel and there was a sticker that said, polaris experimental purposes.
Supposedly the sled just rips, thinking about picking it up this summer after planting and working on it, so what I am getting at is has anybody ever heard of an 850 motor? Or am I just asking for a pain in the butt. My guess is the experimental part is the motor that was the only thing that wasn't normal on the machine, I left my phone in the truck otherwise I would have taken a picture of it.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
if it was truely experimental and a prototype, I don't know why they would machine 850 onto the water plate of the head. If anyone ever had the chance to sneak under the hood and take a peek it wouldn't be much of a secret anymore. You should go back and take a pics of the sled, I'm curious now :face-icon-small-coo

mfarmboy95

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2009
West Central, MN
Well the sticker on the side of the tunnel seemed official enough, the price is right, and there is a bunch of aftermarket parts in the box, New Holz A Arms, some after market skies, and there is another dragon sitting there that the motor is blown up. Its a two for one type deal.

But, I understand why would you stamp 850 right on top of the head? But, when the hood is closed who can see it?:face-icon-small-hap

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Its not a Polaris prototype... they don't ever let them out to general release because of liability and also now days EPA regulations.

Carl's made an 860, even had stickers you could put on your sled. But I thought the head said Carl's Cycle on it as well.

sled_guy

mfarmboy95

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2009
West Central, MN
850 engine.

EPA was the first thing I thought of when I saw the experimental sticker, I thought it probably wouldn't pass emisions. The Plate just had 850 stamped across it. I appreciate the info so far guys, I'll give Carl's a call and see what they say.

Premium Features