• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So why are ski doos so heavy?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I know it's a very old post, but I just picked up an xm 14 163 and since I now have a lift and scale thought I'd post.

I compared a 08 xp, 154, with a light weight can and pretty much everything else stock.

The xm is completely stock.

Both were topped off with gas, but the xm only had 1/4 of oIL on it, so I am addin 4 pounds.

The xm came in at a WHOPPING 60 pounds more.
The scale is spot on, compared it to a bathroom scale and weighing myself.

Xp came in at 526, the xm at 582, plus 4 pounds for oil, so 586#.

163 vs. 154 = more weight.

ETEC vs. PTEK engine = more weight.

I wonder where the rest comes from?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
163 vs. 154 = more weight.

ETEC vs. PTEK engine = more weight.

I wonder where the rest comes from?

Yes, and I did forget to mention that the xm has electric start. Must add 1t # or so...It's certainly not apples to apples, but I tginknits interesting.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Personally I'm not going to concern myself with weight anymore. Today, ALL sleds are manageable. I drove an axys 155 last year and a viper before that.. You can do what you want with either if you take the time to get used to it and set it up how you like. As long as its not bending out of shape or cracking off I couldn't care less how much it weighs when it comes off the assembly line..

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
That 08 was the first year of the XP, the year Doo had the 399# TNT, and the 425# Summit. I was writing service then, and they were folding up like Popsicle sticks. We were dumping them with heavy discounts by the end of the season, the sled got rapped pretty hard on the web The XP added #'s every year since it's inception

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Personally I'm not going to concern myself with weight anymore. Today, ALL sleds are manageable. I drove an axys 155 last year and a viper before that.. You can do what you want with either if you take the time to get used to it and set it up how you like. As long as its not bending out of shape or cracking off I couldn't care less how much it weighs when it comes off the assembly line..

Couldn't agree with you more, I still ride a 08 Yamaha turbo nitro that I really enjoy riding and can go pretty much anywhere the two stroke can.

I also just picked up my 0-14 Summit XM and that's what I'll be riding for a while as well.

That being said, there is something to be said for like weight

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
That 08 was the first year of the XP, the year Doo had the 399# TNT, and the 425# Summit. I was writing service then, and they were folding up like Popsicle sticks. We were dumping them with heavy discounts by the end of the season, the sled got rapped pretty hard on the web The XP added #'s every year since it's inception

That way be, I did buy the 08 a few years back just for weight, it had served me well and I haven't had any chassis issue besides a mild tweak in the flying nun.

Premium Features