• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 King Cat drop brackets...

B
Dec 14, 2007
Wasilla
I am looking at a set of sledjunkies rear drop brackets with boggies. Anyone used this kit or familiar with it?? How does it compare with others, and does it really make as big a difference as they say. All help appreciated.:beer;

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yes I use it, haven't tried any others. I couldn't even explain to you how much of a difference it makes.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Keeps the tail end on the ground. I have it on my 04 kingcat, I never knew how much of a difference it made because I installed the drop brackets on before I rode it. Last season I stabbed my track and rode a loner sled which was also a king cat that didnt have the dropbrackets on it....beat the ever livin pi$$ outta me on the trail. I don't know all the technichals on it...i just know its a must have!

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I had them and hated them. I guess if you ride trails alot you would want that extra ski pressure. I really felt like they hurt the sled in the steep and deep. Look on this forum how many guys want their M series sleds to transfer weight like the good old king they just traded in. Doesnt happen, Thats one of the biggest reasons (besides the fact that I can buy 2 kind for the price of one m 1000) I havent changed to the new chassis. Ride your sled with out them for a while before you put them on so you can really see the difference. I know I am an outcast on this one but I dont like them.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I have a set of Sledjunky's on my 04 900 MC and so far I like them. I haven't had the problems Rixster has had, but I respect his opinion on a lot of King Kat and MC matters. So far I haven't had an issue with the steep and deep.... my problem is keeping the ski's on the ground when that Challenger Extreme grabs.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Drop Brackets?

I have a set of the Sledjunky drop brackets on my 05' kingcat. I think they work good for keeping the front end a little more in control. Without them my sled was a handfull to steer, and keep the skis close to the snow. They allow me to run my limiter straps loose in the fluff, and only tighten them one hole in the spring. I don't know that one brand is better than the other, but do like the Sledjunky design. When, and if you get drop brackets I would pay close attention to the clearance between your rail tips and the drivers. Lots of problems with that out there. After you take care of that and get a anti-stab kit, I feel the benefits outweigh the time and money spent. Lots of info on here, well the old forum for sure. I dont know if the old forum is still available. But if you have any questions I would be glad to help. I have some good pics of mine if you want to see what I ended up with. Pm me if you want to see them. Good Luck! -00's

T
Nov 28, 2007
Midwest
I personally have ridden sleds with drops on them and it did not fit my riding style. The stock King picks the skis up with a blip of the throttle. That is exactly what I want when I am boondocking. I dont want a sled that noses in when I throttle it. Personal preference.

B

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
I agree with both of the replies above. I also don't want my sled to nose in when I hit the throttle, but I don't want my skis two feet in the air either. It sure feels cool but has also F'ed me in the technical stuff also. Skis 6-8 inches off the snow is perfect for my riding style. I agree with the statement, find what works for you and run it! -00's

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Did anyone who didn't like the brackets try dropping your spring tension to the lowest setting along with the drop brackets? Did it make much of a difference?

I could see how the extra ski pressure in deep boondocking situations could be a detriment to control and floatation.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I just remembered that powerhouse was building there own brackets and they looked really good. They use the stock hole for the bracket mount and then have a second hole for the skid to bolt to. they look like about an inch of drop. IT would be VERY easy to ride half day then install these ( 2 bolts total) and ride the rest of the day to get a GOOD feel for with and without.

Give them a call
Talk to matt or tyler
801 785 2244

F
Dec 1, 2007
have them on my 04 162 custom tunnel. very much increased ride performance on trail. would not ride it with out them. I adjust my ski lift by changing tension on the skid front spring, stiffen to lift skis higher off snow, soften to move skis closer to the snow. have never touched my limit straps. works very good. buy em and run em.

kevs sled.jpg

H
Nov 27, 2001
Bismarck, ND
I had them on my '05, and loved them. Traded my '05 for an '04 with a 1010 D&D, boss nitrous, boss seat, mesh hood, all the goodies. First thing I did was call up Ron and order another set for this '04. I rode my '05 twice, bone stock and was unimpressed with the sled, trenched bad, even with the limiter tightened up and didnt seem like it put the power to the ground very well. With the brackets on, you could feel the thing hop up on top of the snow as soon as you hammered it! On WOT pulls up hill, hangs the skis about six inches off the ground, and just works great. My take on tail standing all over the place is that its wasted energy, and puts unnecesary (sp?) pressure on the track. I would rather use the horsepower to propel me forward, not to lift the front of the sled off the ground. They have worked great for me!

B
Dec 14, 2007
Wasilla
Thanx for the input.

Great info, thanx to all for your input, they should be waiting for me when I get home fri. I'll put em on and my first ride with em should be that sat. I'll post pics before, during and after install as well as riding impressions with and without.:beer;:beer;

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Great move, I installed them on my 800 MC and loved them, they really help to keep the skis down better. With the limiter straps out, I can still pull the skis up no problem, but when hill climbing, my skis now just float right at the snow and hit every once and a while. Big improvement. While you're doing that, be sure to cut your rail tips (I believe thet '06's had extros) to prevent them from hitting the rail tips and unless you run your track tight, add an anti-stab kit to prevent stabbing.

I made my own out of 2 bolts, a spacer and a couple of 2 3/4" wheels. I just ran the 3/8 bolt through the rail tips with a 5/16" washer on each side of the plastic on the tips. Drill the hole through the tip as close to the front of the tip as you can with the washer as a guide. Seems to work well.

B
Dec 14, 2007
Wasilla
Yeah I definately will put a set of anti stabs on. My 06 does have the extrovert drivers and from what I read on the old forum, with the drop brackets folks were having stab probs. I sure as hell don't want to go down that road! I'll ride this time with the limiters in the factory location, but if it causes a problem I'll adjust accordingly. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Keep your fingers crossed ( I know I will ) and I'll keep ya up to date on how it works out..

D
Jan 2, 2008
"L" bracket kit vs simple drop bracket??

I have a 2001 MC 800 LE. I can get a deal on a sledjunkys drop bracket kit but am wonder how much differance the kit makes vs just installing some home made drop brackets.

In other words, the L shaped bracket kit vs a simple drop bracket (with proper hole offset).

Thanks.

Premium Features