• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Belt life - A band aid Journey

B
Apr 14, 2008
FINLAND, MN
989 Miles on my 17 165 still on my original 391 belt. no factory updates done to sled. Shr kit from day one, thanks John!!! I made one vent and drilled and cut the clutch cover. Sled has been in Colorado,Wyoming, Montana and out a few times at home in northern Minnesota. Just came home from Cooke City last night, and was there two weeks ago. It sucks some are having troubles and I haven’t. I guess i am one of the guys that rides like a wimp!! Lol or I’m smart and called SHR right away because my 17 didn’t come till the end of December last year and I had already read on here about the issues. If you are having troubles with belts, call one of the great clutch guys on here. There are many!! They can help you get some more miles out of a belt!! By the way I love this sled so much I have a 175 on the way for next year plus boost!! And with the bandaids coming maybe a few more Smiles next season or a great back up 165.

Last edited:
P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
i always say it, but its time for one of the mfg. to ditch the 50 year old rubber cvt system and come up with something better. you know they can do it but perhaps they like selling truckloads of $200 belts. every year its the same story-improved belt life, blah blah- and they never deliver.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
All those belts and you never spent the money for a clutch kit? Wow.

Your aware that no one has a clutch kit for the 175 right ? I actually bought all the tools to do my own clutching because no one had a dialed kit and got tired of heckn with it. I’m supposed to stay up all night after riding pulling clutches to fix ski doos problem ?

Furthermore do you realize that the most respected clutch gurus have even stated that while there are performance gains to be had that clutching doesn’t fix the belt problems? Hence the title of this thread about band-aide fixes. Some people get it.

Instead of pushing ski doo to fix the underlying issue there are a bunch of people that like to dismiss the observations from those of us putting the most miles on these sleds in the deepest snow.

You have no idea how much I’ve put into trying to solve this mystery on two sleds over two years and almost 5k miles on the 850 platform.

Classic uninformed knee jerk response about a clutch kit that doesn’t fix the issue.

My solution for next year is alpha cat!

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My mom gets 2-3,000 miles on a belt, yeah she rides in the mountains with me.
My sister gets thousands of miles on a belt too. Again she rides with me also.

Just sayin.......

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
1200 miles on my mountain cat belt, finally decided to swap it out, because blowing belts is hard on chit and messy and could even cause a serious wreck if it happens in the wrong place.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Here's where I think BRP overthought the whole clutch/belt relationship...
The engineered primary clutch "wobble" to offset engine reciprocation in the up/down axis is a great idea. BUT... The amount of sheave wobble is fixed. The amount of engine movement is variable. ONLY when the engine movement matches the "engineered" amount of movement will the "wobble" work as intended. At ALL other times the primary sheave will be acting similar to excessive crank run-out and basically be scrubbing the belt. This will massively increase temps and shorten belt life.
Even with the proper motor mount hardness, when the belt is under more (or less) tension between the 2 clutches, this will also effect how much up/down movement the engine will see as it pulls on the mounts. Again....varying the relationship between the wobble and engine movement which must be stable and consistent to be effective.
They need to stabilize the engine and eliminate the sheave wobble design unless they can guarantee a consistent amount of engine movement regardless of RPM, engine output, belt tension and motor mount condition. I don't see that as being possible. :face-icon-small-con

100% agreed with the clutch wobble. A good guy I know couldn’t keep a belt in his, now he put on a p85 and a team secondary for this season with no problems also the sled is a big bore turbo.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Non belt blowing g4? In my experience there is no such thing. You have a bunch of weekend warriors who are average riders and mostly experience average snow conditions claiming that in their 800 miles total this season that their sled is a non belt blower. Bring that sled out here on the right day with the Right snow conditions and let’s use it to punch in the trail and it will eat belts. They all will. But it takes a certain riding style and more importantly certain snow conditions to make the real extent of the belt issues become apparent.

Well... Anything further you say in this thread means nothing to me because there is plenty of threads with guys who haven't had problems. Including the three who posted after you said this. Also, I know of two very popular gentleman who would like to get you a kit for your 175. They are out there, again making me question how much you have really tried.

Im defining "non belt blowing 850s" as the ones who are getting about 500 or more miles out of a belt. They are out there cause I have a buddy who has one. Hasn't touched it besides the foam.

I follow all the threads (SW and DooTalk) extensively and the general info i have gathered is...

Definition of "fixes": sleds that wouldn't get 500 miles out of a belt but NOW do after one of the following:

1) venting "fixes" some
2) a different belt "fixes" some
3) protecting from the clutch guard tab "fixes" some
4) a clutch kit "fixes" some
5) a combination of any of the above "fixes" some
6) some can't be "fixed", maybe when these ones blow the first one violently the second belt doesn't have a chance because it hurt something

Last edited:

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
If u have to spend money on aftermarket fixes for a $13-14,000 sled that's a problem I would not put up with. Doo has a problem they need to fix, anybody that rides hard in deep snow finds it out real quick.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I'm not saying everything is okay. I never said that actually. Ski-doo is working to rid of it. There is info out there to figure yours out if you need it.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Purely from reading the forum's over the years, I'm pretty confident that White Rad has put in 100X the effort in getting clutches to work over the last 5 years than nearly anyone... Take a look at what he invested in the early proclimbs in order to get those things to work.

Last season I went through like 5 belts on my boosted Axys till I found something that works and I thought that was a PIA! I see 21 blown belts on your 850? Good lord man, you have more patience than I do.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Purely from reading the forum's over the years, I'm pretty confident that White Rad has put in 100X the effort in getting clutches to work over the last 5 years than nearly anyone... Take a look at what he invested in the early proclimbs in order to get those things to work.

Last season I went through like 5 belts on my boosted Axys till I found something that works and I thought that was a PIA! I see 21 blown belts on your 850? Good lord man, you have more patience than I do.

The problem is he is letting his one instance stand for all instances. That isn't how it works. Refer to #6 on my list of fixes.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
The problem is he is letting his one instance stand for all instances. That isn't how it works. Refer to #6 on my list of fixes.

He had a 17 that blew belts traded it for a 18 that blows belts that's more than one instance. Your just defensive that your precious skidoo has a problem and the factory has not come with a fix.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Well... Anything further you say in this thread means nothing to me because there is plenty of threads with guys who haven't had problems. Including the three who posted after you said this. Also, I know of two very popular gentleman who would like to get you a kit for your 175. They are out there, again making me question how much you have really tried.

Im defining "non belt blowing 850s" as the ones who are getting about 500 or more miles out of a belt. They are out there cause I have a buddy who has one. Hasn't touched it besides the foam.

I follow all the threads (SW and DooTalk) extensively and the general info i have gathered is...

Definition of "fixes": sleds that wouldn't get 500 miles out of a belt but NOW do after one of the following:

1) venting "fixes" some
2) a different belt "fixes" some
3) protecting from the clutch guard tab "fixes" some
4) a clutch kit "fixes" some
5) a combination of any of the above "fixes" some
6) some can't be "fixed", maybe when these ones blow the first one violently the second belt doesn't have a chance because it hurt something

I spoke with all the popular clutch kit guys. Maybe now that the season is over there a few out there but in the actual prime season they were all working on final calibrations and were not ready to release them. The back east guys were having a hard time even finding a 175 to work on or the snow to test it.

In between trips to Revy I spoke with roosterbuilt about getting something together to test and we just couldn't connect.

I rode with the mechanic in Revy that works with Alford and was testing things out on the 175. They were not happy enough with it to call it done last time I saw them.

The general consensus that a Softer primary spring, more weight focused on the tips, and stiffer secondary spring are very well understood. Again, I spent a lot of coin on the pro clutch tools to work the P drive and gone burnt out dealing with it when it threatened to take away epic days on the hill.

I would agree with your definition of a non belt blowing sled. Hell I'd take 300-400 miles.

Again what I'm trying to say is that belt issue is very specific to certain snow conditions. I can ride around pinned all day in 1-2 feet of snow and not hurt a belt. If thats all I rode for a week straight I would have non belt blower! But thats not what I consider deep snow.

It also makes a huge difference on how many miles guys are putting on to get to the riding zone. When your breaking trail from the parking lot and have to just hammer to gain the riding area it has a tremendous impact on the miles that belt will live vs. the guys that show up an hour later on the next day and log around 10+ miles of following tracks, or riding 20+ miles a day on groomers in some areas.

Thats great that your up to speed with the internet jockeys, the most likely user group to ride average snow in an average manner. These sleds work incredibly well for most people and I'm happy for them.

My opinion comes from talking to real life people that I see on the hill who like me are lucky enough to be able to go every day its deep and only ride when its deep (3-5ft). These people don't exist on the inter webs and your not going to see us on the weekends if its all pounded out. The general consensus from this user group is that these sleds eat belts when its deep.

People on the internets probably can't ever agree on what a "deep pow day". Too many variables. Then there is the specific quality of the snow. Denser PacNW on a 175 puts a tremendous load on the drive train. Of course riding style plays a role in belt life, but again I'm emphasizing that the belt failure rate is extreme under certain snow conditions and is compounded by a certain riding style. Given the right snow conditions I am confident I could cause a "non-belt blower" to smoke several.

There also seems to be the impression that riding around pinned WFO is what we do until a belt explodes. This is completely inaccurate. Yes there is some of this involved in breaking in a trail and there are some big mandatory climbs in some areas to get to the zones I want to ride. However from what I have seen its always on/off throttle ridding in the trees and even more specifically DOWNHILL whipped out carves that put even more hurt on the belts. Constant shifting of the clutches and constant motor movement as its loaded/unloaded put the most hurt on the belts. I seriously blow more belts going downhill when Im using the throttle to pop from one carve to the next and intentionally dive the sled as deep as I can into the next turn. Its pushing a ton of snow and the variable load on the drive train is very pronounced.

I'm glad you made your fix list. Its a very precise summary of the band aids that this thread is about.

1) Venting does very little good on deep days when they are plugged and the sled is hardly moving.

2) I have seen all the different brands of belts go up in smoke. No real trend here.

3)I made a set of custom UHMW guards that protect the belt from all possible points of contact (including under the secondary) and have analyzed the wear markes on each one. I do not believe that the belt fluttering out and hitting the clutch guard deserves the attention its getting and it did very little/nothing for me. I have seen several different versions of this "guard" on different sleds with the same results.

4) The clutch kits can help to pull some heat and slippage out of the clutches as well as gain performance. Of course someone wants to sell me one its how their business makes money. I thought it was awesome to read some very transparent posts from respected clutch gurus acknowledging that their kits do not solve some underlying issues related to belt life.

5) the box of band aids combo does not add up to a fix.

One other thing that I have seen also is that people do not take into account how different conditions are impacting there belt life before and after all the fixes. For example early season in December riding bottomless deep pow before grooming is in full effect and grenading belts. Install fixes and then go ride Revy over the holidays where there is more groomer miles and more blower snow and some more base. Bam all of sudden somewhen went 500 miles on belt and it was the band aid fixes that did it?

6) "Some sleds are just bad" So somehow Ski-doo has given me two "belt eaters" back to back? and then somehow they also made sure that all the guys I ride with on the weekdays also got the bad ones?

For the record I have only fully grenaded one belt and it was later in the season. As you can see I catch it the second a belt starts to come apart and am able to stop before it goes boom. No damage from violent explosions. This was the year of the scalp. The huge majority of the belt failures this year were from the tops getting peeled off and not fully blowing, and this is not just my sleds its the majority of people having issues. There is some good technical reading out there as why this may be the case on the 2018s and its not from hitting the belt guard.

So honestly I could not care less if you don't want to listen to what I have to say. If people don't want to acknowledge that there is a fundamental issue with theses sleds that can cause premature belt issues under certain conditions thats fine. Apparently it doesn't impact the majority of G4 owners. Im sharing real life observations and think the issues should be resolved so those truly epic days aren't ruined from scattering three belts a day.

Last edited:

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Pretty satisfied with my belt life. 900 miles in SW MT and it still looks and works good. Stock 175. My wife rides it half the time and that is practically all trail but the other half of the time I beat the Christ out of it. We have good riding down here, comparable to some places and maybe not others.

The stock clutching leaves a lot on the table I think but I hold a steady 7800-8000 rpm on big climbs regardless of snow. They do get very hot. I gutted all that stupid silencing stuff out of there. Only mod to the sled. I run my belt tight. Cord showing, almost squealing at an idle. I did hear it hit the little table on a downhill slope the other day. Maybe time to tighten it up again

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
The year of the scalped belts

holy chit!! a picture says a thousand words. this could be a nice "marketing" photo for ski-doo Lol. hard to believe with all their propaganda and hype with this new clutch that it simply does not work. I hope your engine is still under warranty one can only imagine the sizzling heat that went into the crank from this issue.

I
Jul 5, 2001
Ski doo's Band Aid

I too have had the dreaded issues, I'm a big guy on a 2018 175 G4 ( 270lbs with gear and 1.3gal of extra fuel )

I picked the sled up in November and the following Week I bought every clutch kit out there to try ( Knowing the 2017 G4 had "issues" ) Zollinger magnet weights, Ibackshift clutch kit, then SHR Big Johns tip weights along with a couple Ski Doo's springs and shallower/steeper helix's..... and after Scalping 2 belts,and exploding the first one in Whistler with "Stock Doo clutching" ( total of 5 belts and sled has 1100miles to date )

My sled to date has a 19/53 gearing, Big Johns tip weights WITH Dynomo Joes Popeye weight that takes place of the aluminum dumb bell on the side of the weight, Joes yellow/red secondary spring and his QR11 Helix and a SOLID Teflon front .325" motor mount... this has helped but not a cure for the belt heat, I still use a temp gun and see in the 220*F busting trail or "getting into that killer riding area" (and some of these areas or drainages we pull are a make it or total your sled pulls) and this is the west coast "cascade concrete" snow we ride in.....

So I know some keyboard peckers are going to say WTF are you doing with a 19 top gear in that sled....well I have tried 19,20,21,22 and this has helped in the "HEAT ISSUE" I could give a rats *** on how fast it goes down the groomed trail since all we do is cross it!!

So Im gonna give Doo half a season next year to hopefully find a cure and not just a banaid for these 850's if not then I and a couple buddies will be also jumping ship:face-icon-small-fro

Premium Features