• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's flying a DJI MAVEC DRONE when sledding?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Was that tree you hit that short of bark before or after you hit it! Ha! Awesome video!

Watching I think the drone was in auto mode. Did it hit the tree because ... sensor failure , altitude setting , or interference from falling snow? I guess we will never know BUT happy for you it didn't crash.

How would you find it if it did crash? Is there a locator beacon?

I would probably get some dessicant to absorb the moisture while in storage. Then when available blow a fan on it to remove moisture.

Ive got an older Phantom and my big concern is low battery auto landing .... tried to land thru a tree once ... was not pretty. I bring this up because some newer drones have object avoidance protocols built into the drone? Apparently works most of the time.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
https://dronedj.com/2018/04/17/djis-big-spring-cleanup-new-drones-coming/

Right on the heels of their “Spring has Sprung” promotion, which offered 20% discounts and freebies on many popular drones such as the Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Phantom as well as other items, DJI has now launched their second large-scale promotion. This time the promo is for DJI Affiliates, such as DroneDJ. Why is DJI having such a big Spring cleanup? Could it be that new drones are coming soon?

Spring Promotion Contest
DJI just finished their ‘Spring has Sprung‘ promotion that was aimed directly at drone enthusiasts. From April 1st until April 14th, you could get really good discounts (up to 20%) and other freebies on many favorite DJI products, such as the Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Phantom, Spark, Osmo+, Goggles, and Fly More Combos.

Now DJI has notified all its affiliates about a new ‘Spring Promotion Contest’, in which the drone-maker will award the best-performing affiliates with a cash bonus and other prices, such as a Souvenir Package, an Osmo Mobile 2 and/or a Tello drone.

Of course, it is nice of DJI to reward their affiliates for their work, but I think the more interesting question is, why is DJI doing this right now? Could it be that DJI is cleaning out their drone inventory in preparation for a new drone that is coming out?

The last time, DJI ran a similar affiliate promotion contest was in December of last year. Less than a month before the DJI Mavic Air was announced. This time the promotion runs from April 26 0:00 – May 23 23:59 (GMT+8).

What’s next?

By now, I think almost everyone is expecting DJI to either come out with the new Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, the Phantom 5 or the Mavic Pro II. As far as we know there is no information on which drone may be introduced first. Neither is an official launch date known, although earlier rumors hinted at a possible release late spring.

What we do know, however, is that recently DJI and third-party retailers, such as Amazon and BestBuy have had discounts on various DJI drones. We also know that the short-term secrecy cycle in the latest DJI FCC filings (P4 RTK and controller) brings us to the end of May.

And, now DJI is running an affiliate promotion seemingly to clear out their inventory of drones, that also runs until the end of May. It seems that something is up and it may happen before the summer. What do you think?

===================

RUMORED SPECS OF THE MAVIC PRO II

• The official name will be Mavic Pro II instead of Mavic Pro 2
  • It will be substantially larger than the current Mavic Pro
  • 8.8mm lens (equivalent to a 24mm field-of-view in the 35mm world)
  • Camera/gimbal combination will be the FC6510, which is the Zenmuse X4S (link 1 and link 2)
  • 4820 mAh battery capacity and 15.2 V power (compared with 3830 mAh and 11.4 V for the current Mavic Pro).
  • Different battery design than the current Mavic Pro
  • Upgraded propulsion with larger motors (slightly smaller than current Phantom 4)
  • 32-minute flight time. Maybe longer (current Mavic Pro has 27-minute and Platinum 30-minute flight time).
  • It will have ‘quiet’ propellers
  • Top speed is 72 kph (45 mph) in sport mode (2/24)
  • 1″ CMOS sensor (current Mavic Pro has 1/2.3” CMOS sensor) with 28mm (now 24mm) lens.
  • No mechanical shutter
  • Variable iris/aperture F2.8-F11
  • Newly designed 3-axis gimbal.
  • Infrared 3D sensing to avoid obstacles even in the dark
  • It will have an improved vision processing system, faster than Mavic Air
  • Binocular rear vision obstacle avoidance sensors.
  • The same design of remote control as old Mavic Pro but drastically improved
  • Will use OcuSync.
  • Video transmission frequency is unknown.
  • Improved agility and precision.
  • Expected to outperform current Phantom 4 Pro.
  • Beta testing of the Mavic Pro II ended late January.
  • Mass production has started already (early Feb) and will not be impacted by Chines New Year.
  • Launch date possibly March 22nd but could be later. Update: launch date likely to be in June
  • The Mavic Pro 2 will be controlled with the DJI GO 4 app just like the current Mavic Pro.
  • Expected price point: $1299 USD or more. The FlyMore combo will be more expensive. It will be very expensive!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
https://dronedj.com/2018/04/17/djis-big-spring-cleanup-new-drones-coming/

Right on the heels of their “Spring has Sprung” promotion, which offered 20% discounts and freebies on many popular drones such as the Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Phantom as well as other items, DJI has now launched their second large-scale promotion. This time the promo is for DJI Affiliates, such as DroneDJ. Why is DJI having such a big Spring cleanup? Could it be that new drones are coming soon?

Spring Promotion Contest
DJI just finished their ‘Spring has Sprung‘ promotion that was aimed directly at drone enthusiasts. From April 1st until April 14th, you could get really good discounts (up to 20%) and other freebies on many favorite DJI products, such as the Mavic Air, Mavic Pro, Phantom, Spark, Osmo+, Goggles, and Fly More Combos.

Now DJI has notified all its affiliates about a new ‘Spring Promotion Contest’, in which the drone-maker will award the best-performing affiliates with a cash bonus and other prices, such as a Souvenir Package, an Osmo Mobile 2 and/or a Tello drone.

Of course, it is nice of DJI to reward their affiliates for their work, but I think the more interesting question is, why is DJI doing this right now? Could it be that DJI is cleaning out their drone inventory in preparation for a new drone that is coming out?

The last time, DJI ran a similar affiliate promotion contest was in December of last year. Less than a month before the DJI Mavic Air was announced. This time the promotion runs from April 26 0:00 – May 23 23:59 (GMT+8).

What’s next?

By now, I think almost everyone is expecting DJI to either come out with the new Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, the Phantom 5 or the Mavic Pro II. As far as we know there is no information on which drone may be introduced first. Neither is an official launch date known, although earlier rumors hinted at a possible release late spring.

What we do know, however, is that recently DJI and third-party retailers, such as Amazon and BestBuy have had discounts on various DJI drones. We also know that the short-term secrecy cycle in the latest DJI FCC filings (P4 RTK and controller) brings us to the end of May.

And, now DJI is running an affiliate promotion seemingly to clear out their inventory of drones, that also runs until the end of May. It seems that something is up and it may happen before the summer. What do you think?

===================

RUMORED SPECS OF THE MAVIC PRO II

• The official name will be Mavic Pro II instead of Mavic Pro 2
  • It will be substantially larger than the current Mavic Pro
  • 8.8mm lens (equivalent to a 24mm field-of-view in the 35mm world)
  • Camera/gimbal combination will be the FC6510, which is the Zenmuse X4S (link 1 and link 2)
  • 4820 mAh battery capacity and 15.2 V power (compared with 3830 mAh and 11.4 V for the current Mavic Pro).
  • Different battery design than the current Mavic Pro
  • Upgraded propulsion with larger motors (slightly smaller than current Phantom 4)
  • 32-minute flight time. Maybe longer (current Mavic Pro has 27-minute and Platinum 30-minute flight time).
  • It will have ‘quiet’ propellers
  • Top speed is 72 kph (45 mph) in sport mode (2/24)
  • 1″ CMOS sensor (current Mavic Pro has 1/2.3” CMOS sensor) with 28mm (now 24mm) lens.
  • No mechanical shutter
  • Variable iris/aperture F2.8-F11
  • Newly designed 3-axis gimbal.
  • Infrared 3D sensing to avoid obstacles even in the dark
  • It will have an improved vision processing system, faster than Mavic Air
  • Binocular rear vision obstacle avoidance sensors.
  • The same design of remote control as old Mavic Pro but drastically improved
  • Will use OcuSync.
  • Video transmission frequency is unknown.
  • Improved agility and precision.
  • Expected to outperform current Phantom 4 Pro.
  • Beta testing of the Mavic Pro II ended late January.
  • Mass production has started already (early Feb) and will not be impacted by Chines New Year.
  • Launch date possibly March 22nd but could be later. Update: launch date likely to be in June
  • The Mavic Pro 2 will be controlled with the DJI GO 4 app just like the current Mavic Pro.
  • Expected price point: $1299 USD or more. The FlyMore combo will be more expensive. It will be very expensive!!

I think drones are in their very very early stages of development.

PLUS there are more restrictions on drones in USA than many places on the planet. Middle east countries have much more public use allowance than USA like food and package delivery.

So I think the main payers have to get rid of "old" inventory and "always" have the new new inventory to keep a competitor's name from becoming the drone to own.

There a book ... THE NEW NEW THING from the roaring 90's about how new technology must be improved.

Kind of like applying MOORES LAW to anything having electronics in it. Speed / technology doubles every 2 years since 1965ish with computer chip speed. Simply being applied to the drone industry .... even websites ... Ive noticed.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Watching I think the drone was in auto mode. Did it hit the tree because ... sensor failure , altitude setting , or interference from falling snow? I guess we will never know BUT happy for you it didn't crash.

How would you find it if it did crash? Is there a locator beacon?

I would probably get some dessicant to absorb the moisture while in storage. Then when available blow a fan on it to remove moisture.

Ive got an older Phantom and my big concern is low battery auto landing .... tried to land thru a tree once ... was not pretty. I bring this up because some newer drones have object avoidance protocols built into the drone? Apparently works most of the time.
Mine is a phantom 3, so no sensor to avoid impact. I was flying it manually backwards (first mistake) and too low (second mistake) and just got lucky I only clipped a small branch and didn't bring it down.
In this case, I was pretty close to it, so I believe I would have found it, but if it was further out, SOL.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Mine is a phantom 3, so no sensor to avoid impact. I was flying it manually backwards (first mistake) and too low (second mistake) and just got lucky I only clipped a small branch and didn't bring it down.
In this case, I was pretty close to it, so I believe I would have found it, but if it was further out, SOL.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I was wondering why the drone "turned around" o view the tree and not go back to its designed altitude or flight path.

I'm glad you still have it !

Post more videos ... IM over 1000 miles from rideable snow !

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So I think the main payers have to get rid of "old" inventory and "always" have the new new inventory to keep a competitor's name from becoming the drone to own.

There a book ... THE NEW NEW THING from the roaring 90's about how new technology must be improved.

Truly.
It NEVER ends.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
DJI Mavic Air is the drone for Snowmobiling

Check out the DJI Mavic Air, it's the drone for snowmobiling as far as I'm concerned. It wins in the portability and video resolution department. I've been flying drones since 2015 and have had seven drones at this point. Originally I was lugging a huge 40lb pack with drone out on the snowmobile which was giant pain in the ***. Worse was I'd have to trade off my airbag and drone pack which I would strap to my tunnel to get out to the zone. Even worse than that was when I had full days with the pack on doing the airbag shuffle and didn't get to film due to heavy snow or mechanical issues with the drones.

My DJI Mavic Air has been flawless since I picked it up in January and I have over 25 hours of flight time on it. Here's a two sample vids of mine I filmed this winter with it:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QCLzSwQu2_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PHlXCmQHpqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the waterproof Pelican case complete with four batteries, filters, extra SD card, props, controller, and other stuff that I carry it in. It fits really nicely in my tunnel bag. No more lugging heavy backpack double air-bag syndrome.

0215182000_zpsslp1mpjw.jpg

Other radness of Mavic Air:
It's fast! Top speed about 45+mph so it can keep up with sleds no problem.

It's cold tolerant, I've had it out in 15-20 degree days without issue.

Flight time is about 15 minutes, usually enough to crank out a couple shots and some filler. Batteries are super small, so easy to cart extras. I bring 6 every ride, usually only go through 5 max. Four fit in my case on my tunnel, two extras in my backpack in a bag that's about the size of your fist.

Video resolution is great. I generally film 2.7k 60FPS. That leaves lots of crop when you render out at 1080p. I'm very pleased with video quality. There's also 120FPS but I haven't used that much since they auto render out to 1080p 30PFS.

D-Cinelike mode is great for post processing if you like to do your own color grading.

It handles high winds well. I've had it up over 8000ft, 10-20mph winds and footage is still smooth and it has plenty of power to counteract the wind speed.

A lot of the smart shots are pretty great for snowmobiling, Active Track works pretty good as long as you have a good contrast with your rider and the snow (bright clothes help!). See my vid above for some active track samples.

Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I have a Mavic also. 2 weeks ago I was in Colorado riding and the high altitude performance was quite impressive.
We were at 10,500 feet and while I could tell a difference on how it turns and climbs it was still very controllable. Battery performance was shorter but only by 1 or 2 minutes at most, it works harder up there.

As a complete side note you haven’t lived until shred on a Gnar Bike snowbike powered by a CBR 1000. Good trip to Colorado.

I am working in Driggs ID in June and will be looking for some cool areas to get some video of the Grand Tetons. Any locals with ideas?

Christopher, I will be working in West Yellowstone until the 13th. I could meet up with you if you want to get a closer look or even fly it.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a Mavic also. 2 weeks ago I was in Colorado riding and the high altitude performance was quite impressive.
We were at 10,500 feet and while I could tell a difference on how it turns and climbs it was still very controllable. Battery performance was shorter but only by 1 or 2 minutes at most, it works harder up there.

As a complete side note you haven’t lived until shred on a Gnar Bike snowbike powered by a CBR 1000. Good trip to Colorado.

I am working in Driggs ID in June and will be looking for some cool areas to get some video of the Grand Tetons. Any locals with ideas?

Christopher, I will be working in West Yellowstone until the 13th. I could meet up with you if you want to get a closer look or even fly it.

Thanks for the offer my friend.!

I have decided I will pull the trigger on the Mavic 2 when it gets released this summer

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
https://myfirstdrone.com/blog/mavic-2-pro-rumors-everything-we-know

Are We Finally Going to See the New Mavic Pro 2?

DJI has announced that there will be a big event happening on July 18th at 10 a.m in New York. The theme of this event is “See the Bigger Picture”. What could that mean? DJI is notorious for making us squirm while they throw us little bones. We thought for a second it could be a new Osmo with 360° capability, but quickly squashed that idea when we realized the imagery in the invite was taken from great heights.

We suspect they are either going to announce a new drone, maybe the Mavic Pro 2(or DJI Mavic Pro II). If you look closely at the image, you can see that there is a lake in the middle with a winding river around that followed by some rocky brown and green terrain. The image has been blended to look kind of like the iris of an eye so depending on how you look at it, you either see a landscape scene or an iris. Once again Dji keeps us in suspense. Even their invite is shrouded in ambiguity and mystery.

We’ll keep you informed as we find out more. We’re not sure if DJI is going to stream the event live, but if they do, we’ll broadcast that live right here on MyFirstDrone.com. Stay tuned...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Well there I was all ready to buy one of the new Mavic 2s on July 18th when they were supposed to be rolled out in a huge DJI event and NOTHING.

Cancelled the whole event at the last moment.
https://myfirstdrone.com/blog/mavic-2-pro-rumors-everything-we-know

Are We Finally Going to See the New Mavic 2 Pro Release?

This past June, DJI had announced a big event happening on July 18th at 10 a.m in New York.
The theme of the event was “See the Bigger Picture”.
Based on rumors popping up all over the web on July 6th, 2018 the event was postponed.
Why?
On July 18th, 2018 @OsitaLV tweeted that he was contacted by DJI with the following info:
<figure class="w-richtext-align-fullwidth" style="max-width: 100%;" data-rt-type="image" data-rt-align="fullwidth" data-rt-max-width="">
5b4f82c6873d440c9cd019b0_OsitaLV___OsitaLV____Twitter.jpg

<figcaption>July 18th OsitaLV tweet</figcaption></figure>We suspect they were going to announce the Mavic 2 Pro (or DJI Mavic Pro II).
Besides the production delay, DJI could also be adding some last minute software features based on recent drone launches from both Parrot with the Anafi and also Autel Robotics.
Once again DJI keeps us in suspense. Even their invite was shrouded in ambiguity and mystery.
We’ll keep you informed as we find out more.
We’re not sure if DJI is going to stream the event live, but if they do, we’ll broadcast it live right here on MyFirstDrone.com.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Check out the DJI Mavic Air, it's the drone for snowmobiling as far as I'm concerned. It wins in the portability and video resolution department. I've been flying drones since 2015 and have had seven drones at this point. Originally I was lugging a huge 40lb pack with drone out on the snowmobile which was giant pain in the ***. Worse was I'd have to trade off my airbag and drone pack which I would strap to my tunnel to get out to the zone. Even worse than that was when I had full days with the pack on doing the airbag shuffle and didn't get to film due to heavy snow or mechanical issues with the drones.

My DJI Mavic Air has been flawless since I picked it up in January and I have over 25 hours of flight time on it. Here's a two sample vids of mine I filmed this winter with it:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QCLzSwQu2_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PHlXCmQHpqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the waterproof Pelican case complete with four batteries, filters, extra SD card, props, controller, and other stuff that I carry it in. It fits really nicely in my tunnel bag. No more lugging heavy backpack double air-bag syndrome.

0215182000_zpsslp1mpjw.jpg

Other radness of Mavic Air:
It's fast! Top speed about 45+mph so it can keep up with sleds no problem.

It's cold tolerant, I've had it out in 15-20 degree days without issue.

Flight time is about 15 minutes, usually enough to crank out a couple shots and some filler. Batteries are super small, so easy to cart extras. I bring 6 every ride, usually only go through 5 max. Four fit in my case on my tunnel, two extras in my backpack in a bag that's about the size of your fist.

Video resolution is great. I generally film 2.7k 60FPS. That leaves lots of crop when you render out at 1080p. I'm very pleased with video quality. There's also 120FPS but I haven't used that much since they auto render out to 1080p 30PFS.

D-Cinelike mode is great for post processing if you like to do your own color grading.

It handles high winds well. I've had it up over 8000ft, 10-20mph winds and footage is still smooth and it has plenty of power to counteract the wind speed.

A lot of the smart shots are pretty great for snowmobiling, Active Track works pretty good as long as you have a good contrast with your rider and the snow (bright clothes help!). See my vid above for some active track samples.

What kind of range do you get with the Air? Is is a wifi connection? I can get about 3000ft with my phantom 3 standard out in the open, but is is substantially less when sight lines are obstructed.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
The Mavics don’t use WiFi. The controller and drone have their own system. The Mavic Pro I have claims a mile. I have flown it out to almost 3/4 and had no issues.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I have a DJI Spark I purchased before the Air came out. It is really easy but takes a little practice to get used to where and when you can fly and watching what your doing with the camera to get good shots. I have taken it with me on my quads a few times and want to bring on my snowmobile but have not yet because I wanted to practice more. I am glad I didn't buy a more expensive model because I really don't use as much as I would like.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a DJI Spark I purchased before the Air came out. It is really easy but takes a little practice to get used to where and when you can fly and watching what your doing with the camera to get good shots. I have taken it with me on my quads a few times and want to bring on my snowmobile but have not yet because I wanted to practice more. I am glad I didn't buy a more expensive model because I really don't use as much as I would like.
Ya, I had HOPED to have one sooner and have MORE TIME this summer to learn to fly it.
But I am still in this holding pattern waiting for the Mavec 2 to be released.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Ya, I had HOPED to have one sooner and have MORE TIME this summer to learn to fly it.
But I am still in this holding pattern waiting for the Mavec 2 to be released.

I was wrong I did have it with me while snowmobiling. Here is some footage I took up north Michigan near our cabin. A lot flatter than the out west terrain. LOL.

https://youtu.be/93e5vr9coM0

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/93e5vr9coM0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/30/17630966/dji-mavic-2-pro-leak-specs-features

DJI confirms Mavic 2 Pro is on the way with different lens options

A leaked advertisement forced the company’s hand
By Sean O'Kane@sokane1 <time class="c-byline__item" data-ui="timestamp"> Jul 30, 2018, 2:08pm EDT
</time><time class="c-byline__item" data-ui="timestamp"></time>
dji-mavic-pro-drone-2445.0.0.jpg

DJI has new versions of the Mavic Pro on the way, and thanks to a mistakenly published advertisement, the company has now confirmed to CNETa few specs and features ahead of the drones’ official reveal.
There appear to be two big changes coming to this generation of the Mavic: first, the introduction of a “zoom” model (a configuration DJI is calling Mavic 2 Zoom) that can shoot as wide as 28mm and as tight as 48mm. And second, the introduction of a new Pro model with a much larger image sensor.

Both zoom lenses and 1-inch image sensors are features that DJI has so far reserved for its more expensive professional drones. And while it sounds like you’ll have to choose between one or the other in this generation of the Mavic, it will at least start to bring those features down to a wider audience.

The camera system on the Pro will have a big one-inch CMOS sensor — which is a huge bump over the 1/2.3-inch sensor in the original Mavic Pro. The advertisement also mentions that this is a “Hasselblad camera,” meaning the iconic Swedish photography company likely had some involvement in the development of the camera architecture. (DJI acquired a majority stake in Hasselblad a few months after the 2016 release of the original Mavic Pro.)

While it isn’t stated, it’s likely the Zoom version won’t have the same 1-inch sensor, and will instead take advantage of the smaller sensor sized user on the original to allow for that level of zoom.

The Mavic 2 will fold up, much like its predecessor, and appears to be slightly slimmer. It will feature improved performance in the air as well, with a 31-minute flight time and nearly five miles of range. It will have better obstacle avoidance thanks to sensors that face in all directions, which is similar to what DJI did with the smaller, newer Mavic Air.

No other specs have been revealed so far, but it’s safe to assume the Mavic 2 Pro will shoot 4K footage, and will build on the already robust features that have given DJI a stranglehold on the drone market. The company had originally planned to announce the new drone in July, but delayed the event (for an unannounced reason) late enough that UK retailer Argos did not have time to pull the advertisement.

Correction July 30th, 6:55PM ET: This article originally stated that DJI had confirmed the Mavic 2 would support interchangeable lenses; while has been rumored, the confirmed advertisement actually points to there being two separate models of the Mavic 2, instead of one model with swappable lenses.

Last edited:
Premium Features