• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

found a crack in my king cat rails

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Well went to install my scratchers today. And noticed a crack in both rails just behind the mounting bolts for the middle wheels/front rear shock point. Which seems common.

So now what are my options. The cracks are not halfway down. Not quite to the ribbed part of the rails. Are the rails weldable? And weld the crack and reinforce.

Or am I just going to have to buy new? What are my options? Really dont wanna go with stock again. Just bc its going to happen again. I know ice age makes 162 king cat rails. This my only option? Snow is getting close and need to make a call

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Cat makes a reinforcement piece that some of the 98 and newer ZRs used. I have used them to bolster a cracked rail and the crack never went any farther.
1604-488 and 489 are part numbers. I would weld the crack first and then add the reinforcement piece. Should last forever that way.

K

kingkat1150

Jan 27, 2010
belgrade mt
rails

If you want to fix it for good spend a little more and put the m8 m1000 rails on. you will need tips, wheel blocks if your running them, front arm and hardware involved with the front arm.The rails from an 07-11 m sled will work. also the front arm I use is from an 07 m because it don't have the rear shock mount attachment. I also use it because I'm running it on a KC so I got it for being black. The front arm is an inch narrower then the stock KC arm so you will need 2- 1/2" spacers.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Cheap fix is to drill a hole at the tip of the crack and pop in a rivet...will stop it from growing. Not saying it's completely safe, but you can try that for almost free and watch it. I've seen many cracked rails over the years and they are fine to run. Still a risk but a pretty good alternative to buying new rails. Welding is OK but it will induce a bunch more stress and weaken the metal at the weld zone...you may just grow another crack. Small hole at crack tip and rivets are a common way to stop cracking in aluminum.

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Rails

motocrazy, I had same issue on my KK, last season I braced them and they held up but more cracks appeared and I did not trust them to fail so I purchased a set of IceAge rails, rails are of high quality and strong, I highly recommend them MADDOGWFO

P1010118002.jpg P1010119002.jpg P1010122.jpg

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Ok Guys,

Im not going to risk the welding and gonna buy new rails.

Is ice-age the only one out there making rails.

Buddy suggestested fabcraft- but im only seeing complete skids.
Liked there idea of having the tiped up rails but o well..

If i go ice-age is anti-stab kit worth it? there kit is 120$... or will i be ok with just the tips..

Any other options out there besides weak stock rails?

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
IceAge

Hey Motocrazy, I got my 4 wheel AntiStab kit from hiperf.com for $95.00, turn around for the rails is about a week and a half, a question are you running drop brackets because if you are you may need to cut the end of the rails or they may hit your drivers, IceAge will do this for you like they did me, Brock is great to deal with, any questions just ask MADDOGWFO

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
no need to cut the rails for the anti-stab kit it will bolt on, and I am not sure you need them with stock drop brackets, last season I installed aftermarket drop brackets, went for a ride and found the rail tips under braking were hitting the drivers, so i cut the ends off the stock rails and installed the anti-stab kit just to be safe, when I bought the IceAge rails, I explained to them the issue and they cut the rails for me, the IceAge rails come with new hyfaxes, bumbers and rail tip ends MADDOGWFO

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Just got off the phone with Brock. Ordered a set of the ice age rails. did not opt to go with the anti-stab kit, he said running all stock rear skid, with no turbo or boost of any sort and no loose track i would be fine...
So hopefully Next weekend i will be busy getting it swapped and ready to go!!!

Cant wait for snow

M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Hey Motocrazy, the only thing you have to do is drill out some the holes to match the size of your bolts which I had to do and also the cross braces are not in the same location of the stock ones, are you running a 2 wheel kit in back? MADDOGWFO

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Mad - not running a 2 wheel kit. Running everything stock. But thanks for the heads up. Where do the cross braces go now? I may have tool and die make me a few extra braces while I'm at it.

Premium Features