• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch won't come off, I am screwed!

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
See bottom of thread, I got it off but had to go all the way!!!!

I have a clutch that has worn weights, rollers and bolts that hold the weights in place. It also had a brocken main spring. Basically its a new sled to me that has never had a good clutch so I don't even know its potential.

I found a used clutch in great shape and am pulling the old one off for the better replacement.

I bought a new puller from the dealer and started to apply my specialty, brute force :face-icon-small-hap

It started to go OK, as I managed to get a breaker bar and really put some torque on the puller.

I got where each turn took everything I have to get it to move ever so slightly.

Here is a picture of my puller currently......

196211_185747734800237_100000950353979_397005_4580193_n.jpg

Besides cutting the old clutch off ( seen on another thread) do I have any other options?

Is there an emicon/smilie to show my current situation?

:brick: While this one works, I was thinking about something that showed a prison love scene would be more appropriate.

any advice backed by experience would be really preffered or at this point some good guesses as to my next move.

Is there any location I could apply heat to help break this free. I am concerned that cutting the clutch off will be my only option.

Any advice as to where I could cut off the clutch with the most effect without damaging my crank.

Ian

Last edited:

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
?

Do a search on here. I saw a post awhile back on this very thing. I think they said put grease in the hole then thread in puller as it has like a hydraulic effect on it by forcing it off with the grease. You may want to put a little pipe tape on the puller to keep the grease going the right way. Good Luck!

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Did you use a hammer at all? You are suppose to turn it tight then pound on the end of the puller with a hammer, then tighten again and repeat.

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
Yes used a hammer, I don't know if this caused the bend/bow in the puller shaft.

I assume it was the torquing. I don't want to keep using this puller as I don't want it to break escalating the problem.

I might cut the bent tip off and try the grease technique. Has anyone used heat with a posative effect?

Ian

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Only been a few hundred post on here about how to do it before you screw your puller up. Now that you have t bent up like that you may be able to wrap the threads with teflon tape, tip the sled on its side, fill the bolt hole with water, tighten the bolt in and let it sit outside for the night in freezing temps. It should be loose int he morning. If a clutch does not come off with torquing and tapping, wrap the threads with teflon tape and pour water in before tightening the bolt in. The hydraulic force will make a hugh difference. Very seldom that one will not come off using that method.

hainesrx

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2008
Tip the sled on the side, pour water into the end of the driveshaft. Next seal the threads on the puller with teflon tape and thread it back in and tighten. Good advice I learned from previous forums on here, when tightening do not exceed 100ft/lbs. After tightening each time pound with a hammer on the end of the puller, but do not use excessive force. Patience is key here, if you lose your hydro lock just keep repeating with the water and teflon tape. Word of advice do not stand in front of the clutch while doing this. When the clutch lets go it can fly several feet. May want to place some sort of catch just in case.

hainesrx

Premium Member
Jan 27, 2008
Sorry diggerdown if I may have repeated you I got interrupted while submitting my post.

K
Oct 8, 2010
I had the same problem. This might be wrong but after i had the puller really tight i hit the clutch from the backside with a board and it poped loose. Never had a problem after that. My .02

A
Dec 27, 2010
Make sure also that you apply a dab of grease to the tip of the puller... it can be a bitch sometimes. Are you using a decent hammer? I use a baby sledge and mine pops off after two or three hits with more pressure on the puller in between each one. Be careful, I've seen a bent crank come from this.

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
Thank you for the great hydro unlock. I never would have come up with that.

I am sorry for not searching the site more thoroughly. Like most good sites the answers are there if you search looking for the proper key words.

Anyway I do appreciate you passing this info to me it is greatly appreciated.

I will try the hydro unlock lock tommorrow. Its not cold enough here to freeze so I think the manual method with the seal tape will be best.

I am leaning towards the grease, I don't mind cleaning up a mess. I don't care how bad the mess is, removing the clutch will have more than happy to do some cleanup.

Ian

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
your puller is pretty much junk now, what I did was cut the bent portion off and use the threaded portion to screw into grease to hydraulic it off. Water works good if you have an air ratchet, if not water will bleed off to quick. Plus by cutting off the bent part you will have better displacement into the grease. Just use at least 2/3's of the threads in the clutch before it starts to seat.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I just did this about a week ago. those black pullers are crap mine did the same damn thing. I picked up a epi erlandsonperformance puller there gold colored. i dont know what the difference is in pullers but theres poped mine right off. I pounded and greased and oiled and u name it the black one wouldnt take it off.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Only use water, and don't use a puller, use the clutch bolt with Teflon tape. Works every time....using a puller will work too, but the puller tip displaces most of the water that you need to trap to hydraulic the clutch off.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
get off

NO HAMMER.....please no hammer. I'd say every tap with hammer is 1000miles off the crank life it it goes another 100 mils...................also no rattle guns...........worse than hammer !!!! If the hamma doesn't knock the crank out of alignment it will put little flats on you crank end ball bearing / roller bearings and start slowly eating its self up as you are grinning climbing hills, buy good tow strap and ride with new friends.

AS suggested, saw off bent part of puller, lots of teflon tape and water and it will pop, might have to rewrap teflon tape several times to get it right, carefull sometimes that clutch will fly 10 feet and or knock out your front teeth. Water denser than grease or oil or.......go water get the job done faster less effort no cleanup.......greener or use arab grease.

Please no hammer, I used to rebuild cranks, the hammer guys and new Ion rattle gun guys were favorite customers, please no hammer.

You straighten D8 cat ( yeah the big yellow ones) cranks with just a gentle buzz of the blunt end of an air chisel and a small brass hammer......no maas / no hamma.

Snochopper

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
FWIW, i had a 1000 twin that was never off in 4 years, after 2 hours using the usual tricks, I tipped the sled on the mag side, sprayed the cavity full of PB Blaster and went to bed. Next morning i wrapped the puller with teflon tape, zipped it down tight with my 1/2" and gave it a few wraps with a dead blow hammer, finally came off.

C

coug66

Oct 31, 2010
NW near Greenwater
First try no luck.

I tried grease and it didn't work. My grease line is too big to fit in the hole

I think I didn't get enough grease in the hole. Too much air in there still. I don't know if the grease is dissolving my teflon tape but not much left when I remove the bolt.

I will spend some time tommorrow night and this time fill with water. Now that I have grease in there it will have to be a grease water mix. I could try spraying solvent in there? The sleds on my flat deck trailer and it has a sled next to it. I need to secure the hood and then make room to tip it over.

Perhaps I could keep it up rite and just stuff jellow in the hole?

Ian

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My puller looks EXACTLY like that, lol.
After I bent it, I greased it up good and got mad. Lots of force, couple light taps with the hammer, let it sit for a while, and if I remember right, I tried heat on the clutch area in between the sheaves. I eventually got it. (With the damaged puller.) And I have pulled 3-4 more clutches since with the same puller.
Chris

Premium Features