• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk oil

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I was running

cat oil in my old cat

polaris oil in my polaris

Maxum in my Mountain max,

and I have been running cat pv oil in my King.

I've never had failures due to oil, but one thing that I notice running cat oil is that my PV's get dirtier than christina Aguilera in her dirty video.

I was thinking of running Amsoil b/c I've heard that it runs cleaner.

What say you?

Y
Where is the gunk building up on your Power Valves?

This past season I used Redline 2-smoke oil. It ran great....

Then again I ran my sled pretty pig-fatty-fat because I had the motor just rebuilt with new slugs, and rings. So, I wanted to keep it well lubed.

I unno if there's too much of a difference in the oils, but I definitely liked the Redline. I'll stick with that, or use Amsoil most likely. The AC stuff is pitch black right outta' the jug new. LOL

S

skatecreeker

Dec 21, 2008
Eatonville... Loomis, WA
Oils

I have used blue marble in my '05 King since '05 and my pistons dont show any sign of wear. I have pulled and cleaned my valves off and found very little buildup compared to my buddies polaris with polaris oil. It runs well and has no visible smoke when its warmed up.:beer;

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Where is the gunk building up on your Power Valves?

This past season I used Redline 2-smoke oil. It ran great....

Then again I ran my sled pretty pig-fatty-fat because I had the motor just rebuilt with new slugs, and rings. So, I wanted to keep it well lubed.

I unno if there's too much of a difference in the oils, but I definitely liked the Redline. I'll stick with that, or use Amsoil most likely. The AC stuff is pitch black right outta' the jug new. LOL

It builds up, pretty much everywhere except a couple of surfaces that articulate against each other. It is black and thick. Now, if we were talking coffee, or women, that'd be a good thing, but not with oil residue.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
I know that there are as many opinions on oil, as there are oils on the market.

I'm interrested to know if someone feels strongly that I should use one oil over the rest, or if someone feels that they would never use a particular oil.

This topic always ruffles some feathers, so no fighting, just let us know what you think.

Thanks

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i have used Stihl 2 cycle chainsaw oil in every two stroke all my life...and i use their winter grade chainbar oil in all my fourstrokes...cars,boat motors, quads etc and i have never ever had an issue...really..never...no bs ..never never never,,oh at times i do treat myself to redline...

bart0678

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
ive seen some of the most finicky big bores to stockers burn down on amsoil and blue marble. iv had very good luck keeping motors together on klotz. its reasonably priced and runs smooth as silk. plus your buddies will tell you it smells like your ridding a washing machine around. (we call it soap)
adam

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I ran blue marble and lost a engine once, been using apv ever since and no problems. I have a oil delete and run 40:1 and have no build up on pv's. Its spendy but if I can afford a $10,000 sled then I'll by the oil that has been tested and proven by them.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Opinions on oil are very subjective and it seems that there will always been that guy who has has a bad experience with one oil or another. True be told I doubt any brand of oil can be blamed for any motor failure.

I have only been in the sledding scene for 2 years and I have only owned one sled (08 M1K) and since new I have ran Amsoil Interceptor in it. After almost two full seasons of riding I finally pulled my power valves to clean them and they really didn't have any buildup and I haven't had any motor issues.

The reason I decided to use Amsoil was because it came highly recommended when I asked around and it is a lot cheaper then the Arctic cat oil. Since I started running Amsoil in my sled I have started running it in my 4strk race bike and my vehicles and have even when to the extent of becoming a dealer so I can save even more. I think if you do some research you will see why Amsoil is becoming more and more popular.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
What Klotz were you running?

I used to use it in my race bikes before I got sponsored by another company. I used Klotz R50, the flash point is pretty high and I had to rejet to get it clean. It smells great, I had no problems with it.

Redline is a great oil too. It's the one that I always use when I'm in a pinch. It burns great and you can find it almost anywhere, at least around here.

I've never ran Amsoil. I've read somethings that I do not agree with from them, like running 100:1.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I've run klotz since 03, never had a problem. Pulled the valves once in 4 years just to check the cleanliness, that was a waste of time. They were spotless. I get mine from Rick @ Tam's Racing Products, he has good prices. You can email him if you'd like- Klotzlubemn@aol.com

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Here is one more vote for REDLINE. I think it is the best stuff on the planet! Run it for years with no oil related issues! Oh and it smells nice burning!

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
Opinions on oil are very subjective and it seems that there will always been that guy who has has a bad experience with one oil or another. True be told I doubt any brand of oil can be blamed for any motor failure.

not true. you can definitely correlate oil brand to engine failure. ie, NEVER use polaris ves oil. garbage, plain and simple. hence the reason they no longer make/sell it. of course you will never get them to admit that, instead it was "improved". point being, there is bad oil out there. personally i really don't like the polaris ves stuff (obviously) or any of the amsoil. (no offense ausm). i really don't like synthetic in general. if do run it, i run redline or klotz only. honestly, i buy the cheap stuff. the old non-synthetic cat oil is great, or any other off the shelf mineral based oil (snow2t is what is currently on my shelf). without getting into a hugely long post about why synthetic is not what it is cracked up to be, do a search for the oil post by indydan. very interesting stuff, and very knowledgeable. it is mostly in the polaris section. enjoy

pv

Premium Features