• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Truck?

Best overall truck?

• Ford F150

Votes: 277 32.1%
  • GMC Sierra 1500

Votes: 65 7.5%
  • Chevrolet 1500

Votes: 61 7.1%
  • Chevrolet 1500HD

Votes: 137 15.9%
  • Toyota

Votes: 85 9.8%
  • Dodge

Votes: 239 27.7%

• Total voters
D

dsmitty166

Dec 26, 2008
NW, Iowa
I Posted this on dootalk...i'll see what you guys think as well...

Alright, I know that this is a very opinionated question, but I'm looking at getting a truck in the next few months. What would you guys say is the best overall truck out there? I don't think that I need a 3/4 ton, so just a standard 1/2 ton truck. I've been a chevy guy for a long time, but the newer Fords are really starting to grow on me. I've taken multiple trips in a Ford and didn't mind it.

I'm looking at probably years 04-07 in all of the brands. It will most likely be a crew cab. What's the best overall considering mpg, reliability, etc?

Any thoughts or feed back on this topic or what to watch out for would be great! Thanks so much!

I do not want this to turn into a bashing thread that gets locked. I simply want to be able to make the best informed decision I can.

M

maddog21

Mar 19, 2008
Charter Oak, Iowa
my friend's dad has 2005 silverado 1500 crew, we rode with him with 4 place open trailer to the snowies, we usually stop for fill up the fuel 4 times in one trip (500 miles) in 3rd gear, not in D gear (idk why but its his truck hes driving lol)

D

dsmitty166

Dec 26, 2008
NW, Iowa
my friend's dad has 2005 silverado 1500 crew, we rode with him with 4 place open trailer to the snowies, we usually stop for fill up the fuel 4 times in one trip (500 miles) in 3rd gear, not in D gear (idk why but its his truck hes driving lol)

Are you recmonding this or suggesting against?

MTNMAN800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Denver Colorado
I would lean towards the Ford right now. I was a solid (but not diehard) GM fan but I now have a 2005 Ford and have been very pleased with it. Fit and finish is better than the GM in my opinion. The Dodge I personally don't like - I have had too many problems with Chrystler products in the past.

Good luck

S
Dec 7, 2010
have had 3 trucks all bought new 93 silverado, 99 silverado, and just got a 2010 ford f150 xlt, switched to ford mainly because i liked the looks better, new chevy's look kind of ... over inflated? Have been very happy with the ford so far, very comfortable driving, its a f150 set up for towing and snow plow, has electric trailer brakes set up with pressure adjust in dash pulls wife 2 horses and trailer very well.

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I had a 2006 F-150 Crew with the 5.4L motor. Bought it new. I was never happy with how the truck towed. It was constantly downshifting on any little rise if I didn't lock out the overdrive (which kills mileage which was not good to begin with). Comfort and looks were fine, but if it can't pull 3,500 lbs up a very minor incline without downshifting, somethings not right.

I had a Chevy 1500 extra cab with a 5.3L. Much better at towing because the Tow/Haul function does exactly what it should. The truck downshifts less and when it does downshift it holds the gear long enough so it's not shifting prematurely. Got better mileage than the ford.

I've also had a 1500HD Crew with the 6L. Now that truck tows. Excellent truck for moving your toys around. Downfall is mileage is the worst of the 3 I have listed here.

I had a Dadge crew cab, but it was a 2002 with the 5.9L motor. Gas mileage was terrible and I didn't do much towing. I hear the Hemis are supposed to be great but very thirsty.

In general if you are going to buy a GM product, the GMC trucks will be a little nicer and the chevy counterparts. I've never owned the other trucks you mentioned.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Bang for the buck you may as well buy a 3/4 ton...especially if you are a sledder. Fords are underpowered..i drive them at work, hauling things around and empty and they are gas guzzlers and underpowered and have very uncomfortable seats for the long haul. Very unimpressed with the truck.
cant say anything about the dodge. My old Z71 never let me down and the my current dmax is awesome.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If you consider an 04-07 dodge, the only real option would be a 5.9l cummins. They started putting 6.7s in about half way through the 2007 model year and they had TONS of emissions issues.

The 5.9 cummins will run several hundred thousand miles and will most likely outlast the rest of the truck.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
If you consider an 04-07 dodge, the only real option would be a 5.9l cummins. They started putting 6.7s in about half way through the 2007 model year and they had TONS of emissions issues.

The 5.9 cummins will run several hundred thousand miles and will most likely outlast the rest of the truck.

The key is HAD problems. I didn't have any issues after the J35 recall was done on my 07.5 Dodge 3500. I deleted the emissions stuff 10,000 miles after the J35 mainly for fuel mileage. I would take the 07.5+ without the emissions over the 04-07 5.9. The exhaust brake and 68RE trans make the 07.5 a better truck IMO.

To the OP, I've had Dodge, Chevy and Ford 1/2 tons. I liked the Ford the best by far. You might also want to take a look at a tundra, they seem to be a really solid truck.

B
Jan 21, 2011
NOT A DODGE!!!!

i have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.7L hemi and hate it. powertrain is fine but the truck falls apart around it. every week im fixing something differant. DONT BUY A DODGE!!!!!

J

jpete27

Mar 8, 2010
Minnesota
If you were a mechanic, you'd know that GM pickups are a lot easier to work on than Dodge or Fords.

Go with a Chevy or GMC.

p.s. why not try a Duramax?

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I have a crew cab 2006 Dodge Laramie 1-ton Cummins, it's a great truck. Have not had any problems ever with it, had it since new.

Can't comment on there 1500 gas.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
what are you doing with the truck? i got an 07 f150. i really like it, rides very well good fit and finish, i find the the interior quite comfy. and gas milage decent. mine does not have the offroad package which might have an extra leaf spring in the rear but i find my truck a little too light duty for regular towing/hauling.

M

minecat

Nov 27, 2007
Winnemucca, Nevada
well lets see i have a 2011 tundra really love this truck except for the bed space (very small) I have pulled my enclosed ounce and it did pretty good for a gasser I also have a 93 GMC with the 5.7L 350 it sucked the fuel and didnt have enough power for me I also have a 2006 dodge 5.9 with lots and I mean lots of upgrades and will pull the crap out of anything hooked to it and still get 16 MPG while pulling at 85 down the interstate, I also have a 2003 F550 which is great for pulling if you are not in a hurry pretty guttless and slow (455 gears) but gets the job done, I f had to pick a favorite it would be my dodge because of the 800 plus ponys, but as long as I have a sled in tow they all are great because i am headin sleddin

D

dsmitty166

Dec 26, 2008
NW, Iowa
Well I just don't think that I can justify the cost of buying a desiel first of all. And second, I'm not sure if I will really ever need it or 3/4 in this truck.

I probably won't be doing a ton of towing. A few snowmobile trips MAYBE pulling a 4 place open trailer or so. And just hauling my sled in the back of the truck. Nothing over 5000lbs for sure...

But as of right now, my future wife and I are looking to move to Fort Collins, CO so she can go to grad school. This is the reason I'm looking for a truck. I have the only sled for a while, so chances are I won't need to haul more than just mine. I need to be able to get up to the friends cabin by Albany, and I don't think my car will make it on the days that I want to go :). So anyways, I don't see this truck as a forever truck. Yes, I would pry have it for at least 4 or 5 years, but during that time, I don't anticipate doing a ton of towing like I said. I feel like I would have better mpg w/o a 3/4 ton.

If there is a reason I should consider something bigger than a half ton, based on what I have said, let me have it :). I'm just trying to get all my research done so that I can make the best decision and purchase something that will fit my needs.

David

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
well,you will probably get better/faster resale with a 3/4 ton,considering you will not have it forever. More guys will buy a good 3\4 ton b4 a 1\2 ton....there is just more use for them. I personally will never have any use for a 1/2 ton pick-up.
I had a z71 with airbags that would haul/tow anything,but still not a s good as a 3/4 ton or HD pickup.

Premium Features