• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you install ball joint on lower A-arm?

R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
I need to replace my left upper and lower a arm on my 08 rmk and I am finding a bunch of A-arms without the ball joint pressed into the lower A-arm. I was wondering how you are supposed to go about putting the ball joint into the A-arm if you were to do it this way. I know the OEM A-arms have the ball joint pre installed. Is there some sort of trick to installing them yourself or do you have to have them pressed on somewhere?

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
There is a "C" clip style snap ring, and the ball joint is more of a pressure fit...it's not pressed.

I used a large, deepwell socket to tap it out...came out pretty easy, and reinstalled easy also.

Take your time, and make sure to use a socket that is the correct size to fit through the a-arm hole, but large enough to contact the outer rim of the ball joint.

hope this helps

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
If you are trying to get a ball joint out of a bent A arm, you might need a press. I know that I did last week when I put one in my spare arm.

S
Mar 9, 2010
you can use a bench vise to get them in and out just be careful you use the right sockets one just big enough to catch the small lip to push out and one big enough for it to go into. And visa versa to install

R

RockinMntKing

Dec 10, 2007
Wibur, WA
did one the other day on a 08 with 1400 mi on it and i had to press it out no way could i tape it out it was in there SOLID with rust and corrosion. but every one is different im sure

R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
okay I will probably order an a arm here soon so I will let you know if I have any more questions when it gets here. thanks for the help everyone

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
did one the other day on a 08 with 1400 mi on it and i had to press it out no way could i tape it out it was in there SOLID with rust and corrosion. but every one is different im sure

this is a good point about the condition of the ball joint and a-arm. if it is in bad shape, you might need a press.

A little heat with a propane torch applied ONLY to the ouside of the a-arm around the ball joint will help also (this will expand the a-arm opening and make it easier to remove the ball joint).

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
I changed both lower A-arms on my 07-D7RMK this Monday and I used a bench wise and tapped the ball joint out of the old arms with a hammer, and a 22mm socket to get them back.
Used one and a half hour from I drove into the garage to change both sides till I drove out again

C

canj

Dec 13, 2009
Sept-Iles, QC
this is a good point about the condition of the ball joint and a-arm. if it is in bad shape, you might need a press.

A little heat with a propane torch applied ONLY to the ouside of the a-arm around the ball joint will help also (this will expand the a-arm opening and make it easier to remove the ball joint).

Don't ever use heat on that part of the a-arm. The ball joints have a kind of teflon liner that will melt if you over heat the a-arm.

I had to change one on my 2006 600 ho RMK this week and I needed to use the mace in order to get the ball joint out but the A-arm was badly bent.

Last edited:

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
when you get to installing the ball joint....
when the ball joint is installed the ball should have free play, it should be easy to turn every which way.

if the ball is not easy to turn in the joint pull it back out of the a arm and use a dremel inside the opening on the a arm little by little until the ball rolls freely when installed. Do not dremel the groove for the c clip when doing this.

once your ball joint is installed and freely moving the steering should be effortless.

good luck

Premium Features