• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HM TURBOS pump gas kit

B

bighole1818

Dec 18, 2009
Big Hole valley, MT
Hey everyone,
Got a chance to ride the HM TURBOS dragon 800 kit set up for pump gas... WOW! What a sled. There is no more need too spend $8+ a gallon for fuel to have a screamin' fast turbo sled. With a water to air intercooler sucking heat out of the charge air and the quick spooling aerocharger 66 it hits as fast as my NA 600. Plus, if you feel like even more power (and you've got velcro on your snow pants) you can throw in 40/60 race gas and dial up the turbo to 9 or 10psi (takes less than 5 min) and kill most any sled out there. I also tested out the brand new boost on the fly switch (1.5-2 psi at the flip of a switch) and it works awesome for compensating power loss and subsiquent RPM drop at high elevation. Over all a killer set up.

S
Nov 3, 2008
Good to get you on the sled Big Hole. Glad to hear you had a great time riding the sled. Anyone in Idaho looking to ride before you buy, I have the sled in Boise and am looking for test pilots. PM me and we'll get set up. I will be at the poker run next weekend held by the Cougar Mtn. club.

HM TURBOS

Premium Member
Nov 25, 2008
Lolo, MT
Hey guys, we just uploaded a little video from the final testing day when Spudman was up here. Check it out, and get with Spudman if you want to ride the pump gas sled, we have been very pleased with the power. The 91 Octane burns faster and the turbo seems to love it! We have finished our initial testing of the kit at 11.5 lbs. with a few bursts at 13 lbs on 91 Octane and tore it down to inspect the cylinders and pistons. Everything looked good after 250 HARD miles, but we did experience some loosening of the spark plugs, indicating detonation. We are going to continue the testing and hope to produce a kit in the future that can run 10-11 lbs. on a 15/85 mix ratio(race/pump). I will keep you updated, but in the meantime check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdkNOdwVjM

Remember, this kit is for both pump and race fuel, the only change is the boost level. The sled that Spudman has can be changed to give it more power by just changing a spring/washer.

-Shane

Last edited:

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Looks good...

How is the performance when it comes down to real boonin. Let's see some footage of it really working the throttle, 1/4 to full, 1/2 to full, and back again. Is it lean through the middle like all the rest? Some blippin and blappin, boostin and waste'n, 10 foot shots, tight hammer down corners or you're fu@#$% type scenarios....

very interesting.

HM TURBOS

Premium Member
Nov 25, 2008
Lolo, MT
Wingnut,

There does seem to be a lean spot in the Polaris map around the 6500 rpm range. We so have our map working real well, adjusted the acceleration mode to compensate for the lean section of the stock map. Every sled is different, some rip on the first ride, others take us a few hours to get dialed in for our elevation, after that it's smooth sailing with only 1 to 1/2 light adjustments. I will try to get some more shots of "boonin", tough thing is the snow is still not where you can really ride(unless you go to Cook). Spudman was the video guy, so I will try to get him to get some of the sled he has.

As for the performance, this is why we go to the Aerocharger way on the turbo. For my style of riding(RMSHA), I have to have that quick throttle response and the variable vains give that to me. When you grab the throttle, the power curve is smooth and right there. You need to get over here and ride one!

-Shane

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Yes I do

Take my Yammi on trade and I'll BUY one.......

j/k, I know you don't want that thing.

Just as long as Polock brings the beer, I'll stop by............

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
Don't forget Curt at Fastrax has a sled to demo in Washington

I have been meaning to ride his sled this season and get a feel for the HM Turbo kit.

I got to put some time on Curts 800 sled and Jon Wickman's 700 last sat and sun. I have been tryin to get on one of these sleds since last winter. Im sold! Curts sled is setup with Zbros front and rear and it is the best riding sled ive ever been on. That HM turbo is insain. we had the 800 runnin everywhere between 9.5 and i think 15lbs. he had about 50/50 mix in. I took it in the trees up hills everywhere i could. it ran like a champ. I tried to flood it out. choppin the throttle tons of times while climbin up a gully and it just kept snappin back like a hard runin twin piped sled. amazing throttle response and the power of the turbo is so cool.

I ride a WC 1200 and i was impressed with this sled.

I got to ride Jon's 700 with a M-10 and 174 track. holy crap that thing will go up anything you have the sack to think about. pretty sure he had his up over 14 lbs all day and hes not easy on his sleds either. runnin hard! very impressed with both sleds and setups.

that inercooler is sweet. playin and doin pulls for a while and stop. the charge tube is hot to the touch but you can hold your hand on that cooler all day. that thing is workin GOOD!

gonna be building a HM dragon this summer for sure! good job on gettin these kits out Shane.

Curt has that front end dialed too. If your thinkin about doin some mods to your dragons I would say that the zbros front arms and shocks are a must have.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
hey Shane

What would you say the normal preventative maintenance would be on these Aero's?? Bearing care, exhaust side care and cleaning, do you need to change reeds and heads, how often would you change out the pistons, how do the ex. valves hold up, or do you cap them, so on, so on,,...

Maybe I should just walk over to your shop for a BS session, minus the BS.
yeah, I'll bring the beer..

Have you had a peek at the 2011 sleds yet??
You may have to put your setup on one of those for me...

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
Not sure if Shane was involved with this but Aerocharger already has a kit for the 600 Rush. I bet a 2011 won't be too different....would just have to fit the 66 on it for the 800...

Rush3.jpg

FTXMOTORSPORTS

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
WESTERN WASHINGTON
www.ftxmotorsports.com
A little more info to think about as far as different set ups go...the 700 we just finished is back up in Alaska now. Before we sent it home with the owner, we pulled the compression down a little and took it out locally here this time @35-5000 feet. Ran it on cheap pump fuel and 10psi with stellar results-definitely a little slower on top end compared to 14-15psi BUT the bottom end response was amazing-I agree with Shane on the pump gas point earlier...burns hotter than race which creates far better energy in the exhaust to drive the turbo which equals even better throttle response from an already responsive set up. I think we'll start setting more up this way for our local guys at least since we seem to have a little thicker air here than most other states that ride the same altitudes.

Curt

Proud dealer and installer/tuner of HM Turbos

Last edited:
Premium Features