• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new m8 2008 suspension

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I only have about 100 miles on mine, but so far I like it, very good ride in the bumps and good weight transfer in the powder, got some tweaking to do so it suits me better, but I like..........:) :D

edit: I rode a 2006 161 M7 before, now ride a 162 2008 M8............

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Like it so far.

Got almost 75 miles on the 153"/156" with the cpc prefomance kit. As for the suspension, I played with the air presure in the rear and found a sweet spot at 120# But it was slow on the rebound, great for climbing up on the powder but not so much for hittin the chatter bumps on the trail.

T
Nov 26, 2007
The 08 is much better in every way in my opinion than the 07 skid. handles the bumpes good and has good transfer.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Put the o8 setup on my 07 M8.

Used o7 rails and all the other parts that interchange, short one shock bushing after taking 07 parts to make it work. All bolts up great.

Riding it..........so far so good. Issue of the fox float came back, lots of stiction, cold dry snow the floats are sticky. With tunnel full of ice and powder on sled takes 155psi in the rear 153" to work for my 220lb riding weight, pump goes to 150?? fox planning?. walked by $10 cigertte lighter pump at wal mart that goes to 250psi, may be in the trailer by this weekend.

Sprayed seal surfaces with silicone that helps, ditto front, running 60psi in front on mine.

Good idea to run some kind of shaft protector on the fronts if you boondock as the sap from mowing brush and trees tends to tear up the seals.

S

StrobsM8

Nov 27, 2007
Catsledman..Does everything mount onto the 07 rails like the 08's? I thought the rails were cut a little higher in back where the fox float mounts.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
07 rails bolt up fine, one concern though..........now that almost all the pressure and leverage for suspension goes through the front arm rail mount the 08 rails have that rise reenforced, so for my 07 rail I cut rail braces to mount on that riser for strength, one end anchored by idle wheel bracket the other by HOLTZ ice scratcher mount.

Making setup for my little M5 sort of half azz, just made setup for coil over spring for my M8/07 rear shock to go on back of M5, that will eliminate the hair pin springs, welded my version of the swiveling shock mount on the lower arm of front suspension arm, wild guess on ordering EIBACH spring, got to move stuff around so spring doesn't interfear with link from front to rear arm, typical sled project that should take a couple of hours, every little problem leads to another one, going to also make sturdier front arm rail mount and higher than the present HOLTZ kit. So far junk in the corner, maybe get it all on over the holidays.

I will say, when I slid the 07/08 converted rear suspension under my M8, feels way lighter, they say 10, I didn't check, but not having those springs dangling trying to stick in the track, and the spring mounts etc. Much cleaner and easier to take in and out.

D
Feb 28, 2007
Palmer,AK
I'm seriously thinking about going with the 08 setup. I've been waiting on a 07 162 rail for a month and now they tell me it's backordered at the factory until Feb. WTF!? I've called dealerships all over the place and nobody has one. :(

Premium Features