• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RPM

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Where are you buying the slugs?

I bought mine from I backshift.com but I’m pretty sure there available through dalton. Also if you end up needing more weight you can get longer set screws at a hardware store.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Leak down test

Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless without leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers

Dan

Last edited:

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Not sure what a leak down test has to do at all with clutching setup and loosing rollers in the primary.....think your an awesome shop and do awesome work Dan, but honestly im loosing faith in you with posts like this. Why push so hard in EVERY post for a leak down test??? Say i do the test and it shows 6%, is Polaris going to give me a new motor because of that? Highly doubt it. They will just tell me tough luck go ride it.

Now back to what this post was ACTUALLY talking about. The slp magnum force weights lack of belt grip was not there fault. I put them back in after getting the new primary, loaded up to 67.7gr and slp blue/pink spring. Ran freaking awesome and was not slipping the belt. 82-8300 pretty solid all day. Track speed on long pulls was 46-47mph, and short pulls in trees solid 40mph. Revs were quick and consistent. Pulled hard.
So gotta take back the bad things i said about them and say im happy with them so far.

S
Jan 30, 2019
So I snowchecked an 850 and was curious what everyone is thinking now about the SLP magnum setup. They are doing 5 percent off and free shipping over 300. Was going to get a can and the clutch kit.

Thanks.

J
Dec 23, 2018
Had anyone tried a 40 degree finish helix? I'm thinking a 42 might be a little ambitious. I have been running a 48-42 .33 helix and some qap 3 dalton weights. I was struggling to get RPM last couple rides, but my crank was on it's way out so that could have played into it.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
First off the 850 makes great power and you want to be at 8300-8350 rpm. The 10-68 weights are too tip heavy and pull to hard on the straight 42 helix. I have found that an adjustable weight that puts more weight in the heal works much better. I run the SSI weighs at 70 grams with most of the weight in the heal (2-3-2-1). This will vary depending on track size, elevation and rider weight. Also, a multi-angle helix with more initial angle and less final will go a long ways. Get ride of the Polaris belt as they are soooo hard that you need stiff springs to hold it. Try the Ultimax cross over. I think its an 826. Run a 140/240 secondary sporing as well. Slightly less initial pressure with a bit more final. This will hold the belt and help with more consistent RPM. I also run a 120/310 primary spring. A good helix to try is a 48-36.36. Have had very good results. If you have the belt drive version put a set of pro RMK gears on. Well worth the money. The Dalton and SLP weights are convenient but all the weight goes to the tip which makes fine adjustments harder.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
They have a nice "flat" power curve on the top end. The stock sled will run GREAT anywhere from 8100-8450.

Premium Features