• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The answer is 100% always GO!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I hear a LOT of people asking about conditions and whether they should go riding or not. I understand that most people are trying to pick the best spot but for my buddies and I the answer is ALWAYS "GO". If you have the time and gas money GO FOR IT! If it sucks it is still better than sitting at home and maybe 10% of the time I go it "sucks". Even in the rain we just ride until we are soaked and then head out. Every time I would rather go than stay home just to spend the time with my family and friends. So my advice, FWIW, is GO FOR IT!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
I agee, I can't count the times we have been the only idiots unloading in the rain (even mud a couple times!) in the snopark and had the whole area to ourselves in awesome snow after 1K' feet up !
ALWAYS GO !!!!

Bag

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Obviously you guys arent Mt. Baker riders...............

Conditions can be unrideable at times.

I chose to stay home today, and I'm glad I did. 7000ft snow level and a Mtn that when It gets sauked in you cant see 2ft in any direction........

Yeah, I'll save my gas money......

ApeSh*tBananas

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2008
Conway
No thanks

I work 50-60 hrs a week with a pretty long to do list at home and i will not ride unless there is at least a foot and a half of fresh and its blue bird and Im shooting for at least 20 rides this season, there are some exceptions to the rule: first ride of the season, last ride of the season, If the wife wants to go for a ride, If there is two feet plus of dry pow I will ride with out bluebird, I can stick to the trees or the meadows, I absolutely will not go when its raining unless I am bored out of my mind which hasn't happened for a long long time.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have rode Baker. On days that the vis was bad too. We just hit the trees and some of the back areas and had a blast. 20 days? I will have 20 days by the end of the month and I have crap ton of work and travel this month and last month was total crap. I have 2 businesses, 10 acres to keep up, 3 kids and on and on. You are sleeping too much. :face-icon-small-hap We rode Gold Creek today. Thought it would be ridden out. We found a couple great areas to ride today too. GO GO GO!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
This is what I rode in yesterday...put on 135 miles..100 of it by myself(rode in to meet 2 trapping buddies at their cabin, then took them over to mine...then rode back out by myself...), still was a great ride..even if you cant see anything(and much of the ride was complete whiteout...riding by brail, always interesting....)

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

those are a cabin and outbuildings in the second pic....

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Hells yes! Looks like a fun adventure. Riding alone can be dangerous, take care and be prepared but I love the attitude. :tea:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Uh Oh !! I'm gonna get in trouble, as I have ridden alone in the rain . . .

But, I have taken an avy class, several in fact. I view it as ongoing education . . .

I understand schedules, and I understand riding when you want to. There isn't a correct answer for the OP's statement. . . it's about what you want to do.

Bag

C

CascadeXP

Nov 29, 2007
Maple Valley, Washington
Go for it. But do it intelligently. Check your snotels, get up a little earlier to drive a little farther, higher than the rest. If its crappy conditions on the west side, I drive 50 min further to the east side of the mountains, to catch fresh snow.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
Can't agree more!!

I know it is not Washington, but last Monday, a buddy and I were on the fence about going to Cooke City. We didn't have anything better to do...had time off and the money for fuel/lodging.

This was a last minute trip. We decided to go despite the poor snow reports. Figured it was better than the nothing in Minnesota. We left Monday night at 10pm (Dec 26th). Arrived at the Cooke parking lot at 2pm ish Tuesday. Rode all day Wed and Thursday and came home on Friday (12/30).

How was it? AWESOME. Much more snow than we expected!!! Over the hood most everywhere. Chest deep in a few spots. It made the trip that much better since we were not expecting good snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id4iJdx_gIc (A good stick!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nceYd-SnyUI (boring, but shows the snow)

And the Blooper video that seems to happen at least once a trip :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At-bU3I3ups

Last edited:

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
Funny video on the roll over, fastmnstealth.

My crew went rainmobiling last Tuesday at GC and, while it was relatively miserable, it was much better than the office. I'm similar to the guy that works 50-60. I work 60 hrs min and have a wife and family- but when I get some narrow window of time to actually do something like snowmobiling I like to squeeze it in wherever I can. My schedule doesn't allow much flexibility at the moment so when I have someone willing to go when I can, I just go!

P

PowderMiner

Feb 6, 2008
Snohomish-Plain, Washington
"If i'm not riding.......I'M BORED....."

Me too, and the snow conditions are not helping... I might have to get an Apex and take up groomed trial riding and (heavy) drinking.

but you can always get on here and watch the guys from back east that ride “funny” and the survivor folks from Alaska having to trek the artic tundra for food! (Thanks guys :thumb:)

Lushbomb put on some One Shot fishing videos and lets start this “La Nina?” season over again.

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
Lushbomb put on some One Shot fishing videos and lets start this “La Nina?” season over again.

this is the only forum i go by Lushbomb (musical alter EGO).. I actually am oneshot, 20 yr old nickname..:present:

anyways.. gladly!!! this'll get that b***h into snowmaking gear again.. :face-icon-small-ton

things should start to pick up soon..
you can expect some good pow days in the near future!

Premium Features