• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking To Buy a Quality Video Camera for Sledding??

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good quality video camera for filming??

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I dont know what I want to spend?? What do you movie guys use??

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
i shoot with a panasonic HVX-200HD camera. it records to P2 cards in the camera for hi-def and it also has a miniDV if you want that. camera price new is about $6 to 7$ (depending on package) and the P2 cards can be $1500 each (depending on size). i've got well over $10K in my entire package but i do tv stuff for a living.

there are a ton of great HD camcorders in the consumer category (some with 3-chip pickups) in the $700 to $1200 range. there are also different kinds of media storage with these cameras. some save the HD footy to a small dvd-like disc and some to flash drives or sticks. you should figure out how much you want to spend and then go get the camera you like in that range. sony cameras are a little over priced and proprietary as far as what other devices they will talk to. i like the canon and panasonic cameras...like the the canon HF-100 or the panasonic HDC-DX1...both are about $900 and rock for handycams. get a little tripod and fluid head to shoot with and your stuff will look better than about half of the current sled films on the market! LOL! :)

jeff

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I am not looking to spend more than about 2G, just like to have a decent camera for when its needed.

A
Feb 21, 2008
The Canon HV20 takes great high def video. (It is under $700 now that a new model is out.) It is small enough to put in your pocket and take along.

Outdoors with good light it is a little better than my 3 ccd Sony HDR-FX1.

You will want a tripod. Shake is more noticeable with high def.

I
Nov 26, 2007
do you want high def? Do you want something that'll fit in your pocket?

A buddy of mine has a GL2, it's too big for your pocket but takes nice footy, it isn't high def. It runs about $1600.

Make sure whatever you get has atleast 10X optical zoom, preferrably 20x.

I

IRONMAN

Nov 26, 2007
I bought a hv10 from veedy now its called a hv20 I think it is a awsome camera. Nice and small and takes real nice clear hd vid, that and it has a stabilizer built in which is a must. Recomend buying from veed, hes saving for a turbo kit!! LMAO

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I bought a hv10 from veedy now its called a hv20 I think it is a awsome camera. Nice and small and takes real nice clear hd vid, that and it has a stabilizer built in which is a must. Recomend buying from veed, hes saving for a turbo kit!! LMAO

I'll send him a PM, thx. You would think Alpine would help with the tbo for all the advertising he gives them. lol

Mountain Bound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Talk To Curt At "inn On The Border", He's Got Some Cool Stuff And Ahs Tried It All.1-403-563-3101.

Cheers

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
btw...i've got really nice Canon XL-1 SD that i am ready to sell. this is a bomber 3-chip camera, great lens, filter kit, 2X lens extender and more...

it is NOT HD but shoots super clean.

PM me if you're ready to take you handycam to the next level... :)

jeff

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
I bought a Sony DCR-SR300, not HD but fully digital, it is amazing. It has a 40GB hard drive so no films or Cd's to mess with. It is also a 6.1MP still camera that takes unbelievable pictures, even has a flash. Cool thing is you can take pics with at the same time your filming! One thing I have learnes is, dont go cheap on your memory card, get the best you can find because it does make a huge diference in quality of pictures (it stores the pics on the memory card and movie on the hard drive, but it can be set up to store pics on the HD as well). It has the image stabilizer and about every other feature you can imagine as well.

racingpit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2002
Sheridan, WY
www.hoseplugs.com
My friend sells a camera that you can put on your helmet. It comes with a little box that records the video, it is really cool. I think you can talk to any Parts Unlimited dealer to find out about it.

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
JVC GR-D770 (34X 800 zoom) is what i use! works great! and i can mount it on my helmet and that works great too! $350 at Best Buy with all the goodies.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I am thinking about buying Sony 120GB High Definition Hard Disk Drive Camcorder (HDRSR12), any feedback on it ? thx

Premium Features