• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YZ450FX - 2017/2018 or 2019 for Snowbike Build

lanark_lad

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2010
Lanark, Ontario
As far as the wide ratio transmission, it is not quite as good in the powder between 2nd and 3rd. I will be rebuilding my entire motor this summer because it’s time and plan on putting in 1-4 gears from an F. But, it really hasn’t been that big a deal. Just feel like I could get the best of both worlds that way. Love the tall 5th!

Interesting. I don't know much about gearing but could the same thing be done in reverse (ie: change an F 5th to an FX 5th gear). I'm leaning towards the FX but there are more F's around to choose from

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Interesting. I don't know much about gearing but could the same thing be done in reverse (ie: change an F 5th to an FX 5th gear). I'm leaning towards the FX but there are more F's around to choose from

I’m not sure about the 18 and newer models. Mine is a 16, so any 14 through 17 years will work. Probably though

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
M5, you previously asked me about my vertex single ring high compression piston kit. I have almost 150 hours on it now. I know, I know. I am on borrowed time. This season has been so good though that I haven’t wanted to take the time to rebuild as my engine builder requires a couple weeks. Plus, I’m still searching eBay for the right deal on gears. So I guess that the piston holds up pretty good in my experience. I will let you know more when it is torn apart this summer.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I did my 90 hour stock piston YZ and it was just wearing into the cylinder enough that a light hone cured it, no re-plate. The lighter high comp piston might actually be a better option for the FX. I've seen three stock FX,s crack pistons all between 105 and 115 hours. They all cracked in a line with the pin. Haven't seen a crack in a stock F, yet.

It doesn't get much talk around here but the FX flywheel weight also contributes to the differences in the revving of the two motors, slower to rev up and slower to slow down. With the extra flywheel weight and revving the pi$$ out of the bike in 2nd (wide ratio) then sudden decel is where we think the cracks are coming from. The flywheel wants to coast as in enduro riding. Bottom line is it varies from rider to rider depending on your style of riding and terrain.

I was going to tear down my engine again this summer and add the OD 5th but I didn't get enough hours on it to make it worth while for another rebuild. 1-4 F gearing with the OD 5th is where I want to be.

M5

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Regarding the gas tanks, the 2019 fx is interchangeable with the 18 and 19 f. So the 2.2 gallon fx is a no-mod replacement for the 1.6 gallon on the f. If that isn't big enough, the guys at IMS said they are nearly complete with the 2.6 gallon, which will drop right into both.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I did my 90 hour stock piston YZ and it was just wearing into the cylinder enough that a light hone cured it, no re-plate. The lighter high comp piston might actually be a better option for the FX. I've seen three stock FX,s crack pistons all between 105 and 115 hours. They all cracked in a line with the pin. Haven't seen a crack in a stock F, yet.

It doesn't get much talk around here but the FX flywheel weight also contributes to the differences in the revving of the two motors, slower to rev up and slower to slow down. With the extra flywheel weight and revving the pi$$ out of the bike in 2nd (wide ratio) then sudden decel is where we think the cracks are coming from. The flywheel wants to coast as in enduro riding. Bottom line is it varies from rider to rider depending on your style of riding and terrain.

I was going to tear down my engine again this summer and add the OD 5th but I didn't get enough hours on it to make it worth while for another rebuild. 1-4 F gearing with the OD 5th is where I want to be.

M5

Destroy the cylinder and cases with the FX cracked pistons?

M
Jan 14, 2004
One grenaded 2 didn't, usually they just lose compression and start running really bad so its obvious that something is wrong if you are on the ball about how your bike is running. The centers crack first right in a line with the wrist pin but the outer edges of the piston where its thick typically stay intact. The one that was bad a piece came out of the center which we all know that never ends well.

Another failure I've seen two of now in the FX is the countershaft bearing starts making metal and fails, happens around 150 hrs. One of them was a big bore, which I don't do anymore. I've decided its cheaper to do a top end around 80 hours then a complete rebuild after 150 including a new crank, valve job, bearings, cylinder replate yada yada than to repair a grenaded motor.

M5

Last edited:
P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I find parts are always cheaper to change in one piece.

That no kick and LI battery is a debacle if its cold at all. Add a recluse and now you can’t pull start it either. That would be top of my list to sort out.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
FWIW...

The 16-18 WR450 uses the same engine as the FX, but in stock form it is detuned a bunch. The competition ECU, along with free flowing muffler and air box mod along with the power tuner completely changes the bike. I built a 17 WR450 on a snowbike platform, and I would do it again for the radiator fan, lights, and the ability for the stator to run heated grips. All (YZ, YZ FX, and WR) need suspension work for snowbike application.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I find parts are always cheaper to change in one piece.

That no kick and LI battery is a debacle if its cold at all. Add a recluse and now you can’t pull start it either. That would be top of my list to sort out.

Lead acid battery. Problem solved.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Kick start on a YZF

I have looked and cant seem to find anything online but does anyone know if you can swap the case cover off a 2019 FX and put it on an F? and then install the kickstarter? the case cover and the kick start kit are only $400-500? That would get me to buy an F over an FX and then rebuilding a new motor.

Premium Features