• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Driving from Michigan to Wyoming solo, trailer or bed of truck?

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
So once again, people have backed out on trip. I am looking for some advice here. I have a 25 foot inline and my F150 pulls it with no problem. Being solo, would it be smarter to just put the sled in the bed of the truck?!? I know it will be less nerve racking if the roads get ****ty and I already know it's for sure gonna be windy as hell at some point in the trip. Last 2 years I took my trailer, no issues. Last year was a spring trip so the roads were ideal for the entire trip. I made the drive solo in 23 hours straight through. I am concerned about weather this year. Another issue that concerns me is when and if I do need to stop and get a room for the night my sled would be more apt to be stolen versus being in a locked trailer. I'm sure my mileage will be way better as well without the trailer. Another thing is if they shut the roads down for light high profile vehicles. I'm assuming that would include my rig. Just looking for some opinions.....I know all about the wind in Wyoming as the last 2 years were pretty bad on the way home, but I made it just fine as the roads were dry. I personally think it makes more sense to leave the trailer at home this time.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Truck bed if there's nothing else to haul, just one sled. Cable lock on the sled in the bed, through the track and hitch, e.g., don't park in a dark corner.

Brown Dog ADV

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2015
Bend, OR
+4 for hauling the sled in the truck bed if you're by yourself!

No reason to put any extra tires on the ground unless needed. For the cost of the fuel saved you could buy an extra cable lock to secure the sled in the truck.

Have fun on your road trip!:wave:

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
haul mine in the bed all the time, couple of cable locks, choose your motels such that you can park right in front of the room, and back in so as to make it tough for someone to make an easy heist....the idea is to make it look difficult/time consuming, which makes getting caught more likely....you'll be fine....helps to have an old sled cover over it so it doesn't look pricey..:face-icon-small-hap

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
One more for in the truck. ;-)

BTW, where in WY are you going and when ? .... out of curiosity. (I'm headed to Snowy's from MNPLS on Friday).

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I'm going to Pinedale, leaving Friday. Heading back following Friday.
Enjoy your trip and be safe!

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
One more question, I have a 6.5 foot box, is it ok to put tailgate up? Most people I see leave it down. Figured if I put tailgate up then I can lock the tailgate for more security.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
One more question, I have a 6.5 foot box, is it ok to put tailgate up? Most people I see leave it down. Figured if I put tailgate up then I can lock the tailgate for more security.

Whatever you prefer is fine. I would
Shut it if it were me. If you don’t like the idea Of it riding on the Gate the whole
Time. Leave it down during the day. Then close and lock it at night.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I've hauled sleds numerous times in my 2002 GMC 2500 6.5' bed with tailgate down. Also have hauled a few times with gate up, which isn't bad either except it takes an extra person to lift the rear of the sled.

When loading sled up ramp, I like to have some type of reinforcement across the tailgate to spread the load. I use a 5' section of 1" to 1 1/2" square steel tube, 16ga I believe, whatever I have available. I have also used a wood 2x4. I started doing this after I noticed my gate appeared to have a slight bow in it.

While loading up a ramp, there is a lot of weight on the middle of gate just as the sled transitions from going up the ramp and into the box. After sled is loaded, I don't think there is that much weight on tailgate.

Look at it this way, once sled is loaded, how much effort is required to lift the track off the gate - not much. Same thing with gate up, very little downward weight on top of closed gate.

On the other hand, while the sled is being loaded, you have most of the sled weight plus rider weight, in the middle of the gate.

One last thought - I've noticed a few small chips in the tailgate paint. I believe it is from driving with the gate down and the roads have more sand and gravel on them in winter. I've considered wrapping the gate with a sheet of plastic (painters plastic tarp) or spraying it with Plasti-dip which can be easily removed after winter, but I don't haul many sleds now because I have a topper shell which has to come off first and it is just easier to pull my 2 place open with sled in the middle.

Premium Features