• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel pump whine

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
First off I have a 2014 pro 800 rmk with 700 miles, it's bone stock. I took it out for a ride yesterday and just before I shut it off I noticed that the fuel pump had a bad whine to it, when I started it had a really bad bog and wouldn't want to move, when I would get it to go it would still do it at any throttle position. Throttle cable is adjusted properly, I would assume that the fuel pump went bad, has anybody had this happen to them or heard this noise when the fuel pump went out? I should also add that it was 40 to 50 degrees out and riding at 11,000 to 12,000 ft. I just read some forms, maybe its a vapor lock problem or a plugged filter, but with only 700 miles?

Last edited:

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I had this excact same thing happen to me on my 14 last spring. Middle of the day for no reason I would grab some throttle and sled would fall on its face let go of throttle sled would idle fine. So I would keep pumping throttle some times it would clear up and go other times not. Shut it off start it up again sometimes work other times not. It seemed like it was starving for fuel. So start looking things over, as I was doing this I could hear this humming over the engine running, have a loud can so couldn't hear it at first. Sounded like it was coming from the fuel tank, so took of fuel cap then you could hear it quite loud. Limp it off the mountain and brought it into my shop. I pulled out the fuel pump and one of the pickup diaphragms was stuck, as I pulled it out gas flow out. Put it back together and it worked fine.
Last fall before it ran out of warranty took it into the dealer and explained it to them, asked if they could do a pump test to make sure it was ok. They explained it may be tough to diagnose since I allready fixed it, they also said that if he told polaris that I had taken the pump out they probably wouldn't honor any warranty. So he said they would test it and see what it showed. He had said that sometimes the pick ups will stick because of running eth. Fuel or deicers, said they get dry.
After the test it showed high pump pressure, couldn't explain why but said it was out of spec so he got me a new pump, so I didn't have any future issues. I think it was good on them for doing that cause when I brought it to them it was working fine, could have just said pump is fine and see ya later, knowing I would be in down the road to buy a new pump on my dime.
Hope this helps, good luck.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Rode it the next day and kept the motor a lot cooler, kept the scratchers down the entire time and put snow on the coolers at every stop. The fuel was vapor locking due to higher under hood temps, higher altitude, crusty snow and warmer temps. Going to do some venting and also gear it down!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
We have been discussing this in other threads since January. I do believe it is a vapor lock type senario that is also affected by the new('13-'15)placement of the FPR.

Premium Features