• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK "BLOW HOLE"...Active Ventilation VS Passive Venting

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
The laser guns are great... and they have become very affordable... but the temp tape , IMO, would be a better "max" temp indicator for testing purposes.

I'm curious what adhesive they are using. Most adhesives release with more heat. Provided it would adhere to the aluminum under full rpm it would be useful for the clutch temps.

I would still like to know the belt temps, in my testing you can't always predict what the belt temp is from the clutch temp, and belt temp defines when the belt fails.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Reminds me of the old school days of riding Doo TNT air cooled 440's in the late 70's early 80's as a kid. Funny how things come full circle sometimes. I commend the guys at MTNTK for thinking outside of the box and trying completely different things. This is what puts them in a category above the rest.

Question....Does it blow enough air to warm you up after you have taken one of those really long water breaks and have a cold trail ride waiting? Can't remember, is there room to add one to the other side?

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
a product for all those who already spend $300 on vents

Cool idea, but would your left leg not be soaking wet from fan blowing hot air at your knee

NO I HAVE rode with a blow hole all year long 700 miles it has been sweet never had a soaking wet leg. But I have been able to defog my goggles within 10 seconds that has been sweet. I also was able to keep my belt and clutches cool in deep powder.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
that tube looks close to the belt. has anyone hit the dash hard and pushed it into the belt? looks good other than that!

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
Knees Breaking

that tube looks close to the belt. has anyone hit the dash hard and pushed it into the belt? looks good other than that!

The Blow Hole is about an inch away from the 2ndary, but I have never heard of anybody hitting it so hard to push it into the belt and clutch. I hope nobody’s knees hit it that hard, that would not feel good. We have ridden with the Blow Hole installed now for 4 years; yes the prototype was on a Dragon thus the 4 years. It has been Fantastic

If you want to find a dealer near you MTNTK has a website with all the dealers on it. MTNTK have over 50 dealers Nationwide and in Canada. Some Products include MTNTK's Big Boost Turbo's, Fix Kits and Blow Holes in stock check it out at
http://mtntkperformance.com/

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I just went through looking for a dealer in Canada, called 4 different dealers listed on their web site and none of them were interested in looking for a price and some told me they don't deal with that product. I just ordered direct and had much better service and reasonable shipping.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
What is the locked-rotor amp draw on this? (locked rotor = stick a screwdriver in the fan and stop the fan from turning)

Why no fuse in the system?

In your instructions you say:
19) Route wire to the DC POWER plug located on the left hand shock tower.
DO NOT PLUG INTO ECU POWER
That DC POWER plug is NOT fused and DOES draw from the same regulator that feeds the ECU... so, in fact, you ARE plugging into the ECU power following the MTNTK directions.

I HIGHLY recommend that anyone with the blowhole use the optional rectifier setup available from MTNTK... and run that from the yellow AC power connector

OR

Better yet... No need to get a rectifier... run it, through a 3 amp fuse tapped into the red/dark-green wire at the electric start harness connector if you are not using the electric start.

If you have electric start... run it from the battery, through a fuse and then into a relay triggered by the red/white wire (chassis relay power)... That will then only turn on the fan when the sled is running.

The reason NOT to run from the DC POWER plug OR ACCESSORY plug in the hood is to limit the load on the ECU voltage regulator.

If something goes wrong with the motor on the Blow-Hole... then you are not putting the voltage regulator that supplies the ECU/Injectors/fuel pump "Vitals" at risk.

IMO, I don't like to run any accessory off of the separate voltage regulator that is supplying the ECU with power.

ALWAYS use a fuse with any accessory hooked up to the sled...ANY!

Nice product... trying to be helpful.

Last edited:
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
great thoughts and info MH. when i get one i'm planning on also adding a switch to the system. that way i can control when it does and does not need to be on. i'd like to see that as an option also, not sure why it isn't as it is quite simple to install. but, that's just me.

pv

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
In talking to MTNTK they had a customer that got a stick stuck in it. Locked the fan up tight.
He said that the lights acted a little funny and the hand warmers didn't work great but the sled ran fine. He rode it out 20 miles and brought it back into the shop. Thats when they found out it had the stick stuck in it. They removed the stick and freed the fan. Checked the sled out with no problems and he is still riding it without any problems.

Premium Features