• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtn Tamer, Ezride or stock?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
L
Oct 5, 2008
Europe, Sweden.
Do like the stock skid on the Pro 800, but i do want more ski lift when i ask for it... Anyone know if i can adjust it that much? And how? Tryed everything... almoast.

And has anyone tryed the Timbersled Mtn Tamer kitt or the EZride on the Pro? + & - ?

Thanks
Jonas.

S

skotertoken

Feb 17, 2008
Arvidsjaur, Sweden
Change track to a challenger Extreme, those babies hooks up better in our snow. And you can try to lower the front skid down to the assault mounting.

(skriver på engelska när vi nu ändå sitter på deras forum. :) )

B2

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2010
Sheridan, WY
If you are wanting more ski lift, avoid the Timbersled suspension. It is coupled and mechanically works to reduce ski lift (ideal for boosted sleds). That said, I believe it is a wonderful suspension. I had it on my Turbo Nytro and loved it. Have not ridden a pro with one installed though.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
This the best rear skid I've had in any stock sled. I can't imagine messing with such great transfer. Seems like a lot of money to spend for very little improvement (big assumption). I say stock.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I agree totally, it would be almost chuckin money in the garbage swappin out the rear skid, now maybe a shock upgrade ??

W
Dec 16, 2007
Keep the stock setup. Upgrade to an EXIT piggy back or any really good rear track shock, and if you want more ski lift drill out the hole for the font torque arm. This drops the rear suspension into the mounting position for the ASSAULTS, but beware it will trench now. They are a blast to ride in this position though.

L
Oct 5, 2008
Europe, Sweden.
Thanks! Cant ride with the skis on the snow.. Awsome sled but I want it to rise somtimes so I can "whip" it around thigter round the trees...

Thinking of some Fox Floats.. but cant decide which ones...
Suggestions?

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
The Mtn Tamer and EZRyde, are completely designed for the purpose of keeping ski lift to a minimum. If you want more, go to the other mounting point for the front torque arm, like was explained earlier, and stick with the stock skid.

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
The sled trenches terribly in the Assault position. I know someone mentioned that earlier but I just wanted to reiterate that fact.

One of your friends alluded to the fact that in "your snow", referring to Sweden and your snowpack.

What is your snow like (temperature wise?). Here on the West Coast in Canada on the Coastal Mountain Range, our snow falls in anywhere from -2c to -10c...but usually in the -2 to -5 range. Thus our snow is heavier and retains more moisture than most of the snow that people on Snowest deal with.

That Camoplast 5.1 seems to want to lay down (fold over easier) in our snow conditions, and with the track in the assault position it just plows at the approach angle of the track with the skiis in the air, as opposed to float up on the track. Think of the analogy between say when you are on a speed boat and you have one too many people on it, ot the trim is set wrong and it plow's through the water as opposed to skipping across the water when it is running properly.

I like some ski-lift too, but it was literally unmanageable. I couldnt stand it. I am still trying to get my suspension set right as I still find it wants to lift the nose too much. And this is coming from a guy who also likes tree's

Last edited:
S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
With a fair amount of time on this sled mostly all boosted I would have to say it's a pretty dang good skid in stock forum.

That said I know the Timber set up right would still have some advantages over the stock as you can fine tune how it transfers and they have a very nice ride.

If you want to keep the front end planted to the ground as if you had a 800lb gorilla standing on your skis then the EZ Ryde is for you.

R
Dec 28, 2009
Lynnwood, Wa
We ride pretty tight trees here in Wa. too, and our snow is usually a heavier powder (cascade concrete as it is known) and my PRO 155 seems to get great ski lift. I havent wanted to change anything about this sled yet! Im sure it could be better, but it is already great. Hands down the best tree sled I have gotten to throw a leg over yet, and I ride with some guys on all brands that have thrown some money at their sleds :face-icon-small-hap

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
skotertoken hit it first and foremost. The amount of transfer that you get on this sled is directly related to the traction. Rider input and weight distribution has a huge impact as well. By encouraging your sled to over transfer you are killing your forward momentum and thus have a poorly performing free rider. That is why you guys are seeing trenching on some setups (combo traction and way over transferring). Wether or not you like the feel of an over tranferring setup it's prohibiting your forward momentum and is a free ride handicap.

Here is an absolute fact for super high level high performance free riding on the PRO. The stock skid sucks in comparison to one set up with an excellent shock package. Stock may be adequate and better then the old days but it's not even in the game with a premium shock setup correctly implimented. This is not an opinion this is a proven and tested fact by some of the best riders in the industry on the PRO.

here is what it looks like in the sled.....
site_sled_1_1.jpg

Do this test...with your suspension in the RMK position go unhook your limiter strap and give it a go. Some of you guys can benefit in results by installing a slightly longer limiter strap on the stock setup. Tiny increments make a huge difference in tranfer. Shock pressures and spring setups will also affect your results. This is where you get a big benie out of an adjustable and tune-able setup. Everyone weighs different, uses different body position, and rides different. TO have the ultimate you have to be able to tune things to your style and not only do you need the proper tool you need to either experiment or get a knowledgable expert to start your setup.

Rather then buy an aftermarket track for this particular situation I'd do the following first for this situation only:

trim your 2011 stock 5.1 to 2.1" and if you are in very firm conditions regularly then I'd install 1" #6 screws into the lugs. Trimmed the new durameter is equal to the screwed up old version and is adequate for most. Buy the FOX rear suspension setup for the PRO. It's $855 US and comes with a Fox Evol R rear and a Fox Zero Pro steel sprung front. You can try that to start with adjusting your pressures and then you might think on buying a slightly longer limiter strap to free your tranfer up very very little. You will experience far superior performance and ride on this setup. IS THIS THE ULTIMATE? I don't know and I'm not here to argue that because I have not gotten to test each and every possibility...but without hesitation I can easily recommend this as a great thing to do for inexpensively and easily improving your PRO's performance.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Word!

But you can easily sell your factory parts to recover a portion of those costs.

Also note we are talking in terms of extreme performance. A large portion of the general public are just fine on stock. Most of the riders who are extreme enough to actively participate in forums are the 1%'rs of sledding that require more. What you don't know won't hurt you...JUST DON"T RIDE MY SLED!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Danial Boondocker...
That is the idea behind this Performance Partner Sled. It's not only a test bed for new aftermarket parts but also a vehicle that premium customers of these product providing companies can actually sample in the field.

Carl's provides the vehicle and clutching kit, Snowmobile Better Boards takes care of traction, strength, and enhanced snow clearing, Fox did the shocks, FLY did the bars, HPS did the can, Power Addiction did the head, Holz did the front suspension, ArcticFX did the vinyl, and finally Edge Works did the rear bumper. I set it all up to my preferences and ride the heck out of it. Along the way about 30,000 trade show goers, a few expert internet jockeys:D, and several hundred interested test riders get to try it out.

It usually takes me about a season to really nail one down for my own preference and to cover most of the bases. Based on the return reports from my other sled in this program the testers seem to appreciate it. Trust me you should ride my IQ RAW 09 with all of the candy and you'll see as it's just flat out sweet (that one took a plus year while I learned the Holz Alpha-X's multiple settings and a ton of motor stuff that we did). The second season on these after we've had an adequate opportunity to tweak and test is where the real fun is. I'd say I'm a few hundred miles/things from ideal on this PRO but it's already far superior to stock (as it should be).
Polaris.jpg

Polaris-RMK-IQ-RAW-155-163-Peformance-Partner-Sled-front.jpg

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
You missed the tour? It was in Afton two weeks ago. Quite a few people got to test it then. It is still in learn and development stage as it's a long ways from 100% awesome. Of course better then stock but still more to do. Come check it out at Jackson.

T

tomlee76

Nov 30, 2007
Bedford NH
Is the fox rear conversion compatible with the SB assault? Any thoughts if this would be worth it, pros and cons?

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Is the fox rear conversion compatible with the SB assault? Any thoughts if this would be worth it, pros and cons?

I'm pretty sure that last years shock setup from carls will fit the newer switchback assualts they still have torsion springs.

Premium Features