• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pro wiring harness preventive maintainence, time to pull the hood and get to wrapping

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Nov 28, 2007
or
thought i'd start this thread to address this problem before tons of peeps start having failures. if you've taken your panels and hood off i'm sure one of the first things you noticed was all the wires that are unprotected, left hanging or routed so that they are rubbing to the point of shorting out. will post the problem areas i have found and if you have some please post them up, don't think one person could find all the points, there are many.

first is on the pro, the control switches in front of the gas cap, the wiring for this goes straight into the steering stem mount, mine had already wore a bare spot to the high beam. i bent the wiring coming out towards the rear and zip tied the harness to the fuel line on the fuel pump. you will have to remove the cowel to tape up the unprotected wires, two push pins and then the large nut around the gas cap removes it.

next spark plug wires. mine were zip tied together where one wire had the protective cover and below the cover on the second, this has rubbed the wire almost in half on the left side. the right side plug wire was routed over the water hose that goes into the top of the head, it had almost rubbed through on the clamp for the hose and the bolt on the aluminum fitting for the hose. these wires are molded to the coil, so coil and wire have to be replaced. reroute and protect wires where necessary. would suggest loom from coil to plug cap.

next power wiring for the coils. these are not protected for the last 3-4 inches, my left side coil had a spot rubbed bare on the red wire. caused from it rubbing on one of the coil mounting bolts. the adjoining white wire was almost bare. you could see where it had been arcing at the bare spot, also at the plastic plug connector for the wiring. taped all exposed wiring and rerouted away from mounting bolts. was just thinking maybe flipping the mounting bolts for the coils upsidedown so the extra exposed threads are not there to rub on. will have to check for clearance on this one.

next tps connection, they have zip tied the harness to where the wiring plugs into the tps itself. on mine the zip tie had fallen or was placed right at the bottom of the top half of the plug so it was not able to sit flush in the connection. remove zip tie, completely seat tps plug connection, relocate wiring harness zip tie.

next ecm wiring plug. this is located behind the oil res. bottle. the connection is very hard to get to "click" together and takes quite a bit of force. give the connection a good tug, if it comes apart makes sure the protective sealing boot on plug is straight and then replace into connection until you hear it "click"

next tapeing and protecting all exposed wires. this is quite a little project, seems at almost every connection there is 2-4 inches of unprotected wires. all these need to be wrapped for protection. every one is a short waiting to happen!!! i just started over by the oil res. bottle and worked my way around to the other side. also added zip ties where necessary to keep harness from rubbing in as many places as possible.

next the infamous oil injection line. the line from the res. bottle to the pump rubs on the aluminum plate. zip tie so bend is off aluminum.

if you have any other problem areas please post them up and how you cured the problem. this sled is awesome but i can see now that peeps are starting to get some miles on them these shorts are gonna start to cause several different problems. many can be avoided by a little preventive maintainence. i always say a few minutes of maintainence will save you hours of being broke down on the hill!!!

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Nice descriptive post and I agree, I have done a lot of zip ties and taping already and you pointed me toward a couple new spots.

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
Nice descriptive post and I agree, I have done a lot of zip ties and taping already and you pointed me toward a couple new spots.

no kidding! i thought i was done zip tying and taping, that's very much for the good post and being descriptive really helps.

E

Err

May 19, 2009
m8sandman, thanks much for this post. I mentioned several of these potential causes to the dealer when I dropped my sled yet again. Nearly 2 weeks in and out of the shop and my sled still doesn't run. Holding steady at 150 miles while I watch powder weekends come and go and my brand new sled won't run. I'm fairly certain now it is a wiring glitch. Probably a random, unprotected wire has rubbed through and is shorting out.

Take this seriously guys. I posted this in my other thread about the bog, sled went back to a hard stumble after about 25 mins of riding last night. Unfortunately, I was on a sidehill and when the sled stumbled it pulled out of the side hill and sent me and the sled flying. I wound up with my head pinned under the track of my sled, face down in the snow. Could have easily died. Lucky managed to fight my way out from under it after several minutes.

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
Great post Sandman!

Hope people in the Polaris Circle read this and pass it up the chain. Seems that alot of these little wiring quarks could be sorted during the assembly process. Cold possibly keep a lot of brand new sleds from turning into :flame: !!!

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
m8sandman, thanks much for this post. I mentioned several of these potential causes to the dealer when I dropped my sled yet again. Nearly 2 weeks in and out of the shop and my sled still doesn't run. Holding steady at 150 miles while I watch powder weekends come and go and my brand new sled won't run. I'm fairly certain now it is a wiring glitch. Probably a random, unprotected wire has rubbed through and is shorting out.

Take this seriously guys. I posted this in my other thread about the bog, sled went back to a hard stumble after about 25 mins of riding last night. Unfortunately, I was on a sidehill and when the sled stumbled it pulled out of the side hill and sent me and the sled flying. I wound up with my head pinned under the track of my sled, face down in the snow. Could have easily died. Lucky managed to fight my way out from under it after several minutes.

Off topic, but can your dealer not get you some sort of "lemon" rule on that sled and swap it out? I would be LIVID...that is a nightmare

R

redink420

Feb 6, 2009
Went through this afternoon and did alot of checking around. Found another possibility.

The wiring to the PTO side injector comes out of the loom then kinda wraps under the chaincase and sticks there. Mine had worn a hole athrough the wiring protector but I could not tell if damage was done to the wiring itself.

I did have a check engine light last ride and it seemed like it went to 1 cylinder without the DET display. This was doing some hard carving on flat land. Turned it off and ok the rest of the day.

E

Err

May 19, 2009
Off topic, but can your dealer not get you some sort of "lemon" rule on that sled and swap it out? I would be LIVID...that is a nightmare

this is definitely on my radar but I hate to have it come to that. very disturbing to see something of an electronics wiring epidemic surfacing here. I've got my sled with arguably the best dealer in the area, crossing my fingers that they'll fix this soon.

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
Guy's....100% recommend you get onto the stuff in this post....sure enough my Port Side plug lead is pretty much worn through on the Starboard side VES valve cap (dont know the PTO lingo, but boat lingo works too no?)...sure enough, the other problem areas are evedient but none worn thru...

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
went up to my dealer today and got replacement parts. my sled production date is 7-19, i robbed my new coils off a standard rmk that had a production date of 10-20. the wiring on this sled was routed differently in a couple of areas and also seemed to have less wiring exposed. maybe as the production went along they figured out some of the problem areas and did start to reroute some of the wiring? or maybe it just depends on what shift or who was working when your sled went through?

i did flip the bottom coil mounting bolts so the threads are facing down, they put a plastic cap over the top mounting bolts and have a protective sheave over the wires coming out of the top of the coils. obviously some had problems on the protos and thats how the top bolts got the rubber cap.

will be keeping a close eye on mine and post any other problem areas i find that need to be addressed.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
went up to my dealer today and got replacement parts. my sled production date is 7-19, i robbed my new coils off a standard rmk that had a production date of 10-20. the wiring on this sled was routed differently in a couple of areas and also seemed to have less wiring exposed. maybe as the production went along they figured out some of the problem areas and did start to reroute some of the wiring? or maybe it just depends on what shift or who was working when your sled went through?

i did flip the bottom coil mounting bolts so the threads are facing down, they put a plastic cap over the top mounting bolts and have a protective sheave over the wires coming out of the top of the coils. obviously some had problems on the protos and thats how the top bolts got the rubber cap.

will be keeping a close eye on mine and post any other problem areas i find that need to be addressed.

Check my sled over last night and fond the same thing, all wires were located in a good place and either zip tied or wrapped good, the only thing I have done is to tie the wires together at the steering post and zip tie the oil line away from the bulk head by the pump, My build date was the end of Oct.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I had a issue with my pro assualt. The check eng. light was coming on and the engine would go in limp mode, shut engine off restart and would run ok.It did this several times with same result. Next day more of the same but now it started to have a bog/stutter at say 10-20 % throttle,similar to a dead plug like it was running on one cylinder. After it got past this throttle position engine would kick in and it would rip like normal.Took sled to dealer and put on digital wrench had pto injector code appear 14 times.Did check,found pto inj. wire was rubbed though and was shorting out.Replaced wire but still had bog, did checks on everything no luck with bog.Had long convers with Polaris no luck fixing problem. Finally Polaris suggest to check ECM, we take ecm off another pro, tryout problem solved. Apparently when the wire shorted out it took out the ecm, and it wasn't activating the injector correctly at that throttle position. In discussion with Polaris my sled was not the only one with this problem. I know some will say this is a Polaris or dealer problem, but I would urge fellow pro owners to follow advise from above posts and do some preventive measures to fix these loose wire problems. If a simple short from a injector wire can screw up your ecm, I don't think Polaris could keep up with replacement ecm's if we don't fix this problem ourselves.
good luck, enjoy your new Pro!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
M8SANDMAN

Awesome thread!! You put a lot of effort into this and I appreciate the inside scoop.

A bit of prevention can make all the difference in the world.

A couple of things to add... when zip-tie'ing .... do not over-tighten the harness or tug on the harness too much... I've seen wires break inside the insulation from this on Polaris harness' in the past.

When securing the harness or raising the bars... DO NOT put any permanent pulling force on the harness. They can be fragile if yanked on too much.. especially the TPS and sensor pig tails.

Also, the type of zip ties that you use can make a difference... the hardware/auto-parts-store variety are not great... these are the same type that Polaris uses.. they have rough "teeth" in them (that is where they "zip" in their names)...This can cause abrasion on the harness or wires they are against (check out Diamond Daves post on handlebar wiring)

The better ones to use are "Ty-Rap" brand from "Thomas & Betts"..these are readily available from electric supply houses and even Home Depot if you look carefully.

These have smooth banding (no teeth to dig into insulation), positive locking stainless tab and are made from a much better material that will not release at common underhood temps... I really don't use anything else... sure they cost a little bit more... but they are that much better.

31YA8txyyDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31mKl6q16rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Thanks for the AWESOME writeup!! Went through my sled last night and did what I could. BTW I love how easily all the plastic comes off on these sleds....makes working on them a breeze. A couple of the items looked to be revised on mine already....the coil wires, for example, were routed in a way that will have no interference. Don't know what my build date is tho.

J

jet2242

Feb 8, 2008
fargo, nd
make sure to check

i found another area for everyone to check... i was riding on my assault switchback and lost power to my gauges and the sled died. took it to the dealer today and found that there was a wire coming off the main harness that feeds the led tailight that had gotten clipped off by the secondary clutch... so i would check right behing the secondary for 2 sets of wires. just a heads up

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Check my sled over last night and fond the same thing, all wires were located in a good place and either zip tied or wrapped good, the only thing I have done is to tie the wires together at the steering post and zip tie the oil line away from the bulk head by the pump, My build date was the end of Oct.

Ditto and mine was built on Sept 17th. Also I wouldn't waste time with wrapping the wires all the way to the plugs (unless in direct vicinity of exposed bolts); you're better served by taking apart all the connectors and packing them with dielectric grease (only about 3 connectors had this already). Did ALL of mine!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
M
Nov 28, 2007
or
more updates:

one of the wiring plugs over by the clutch cover does not have a lock and can easily wiggle apart. it is a 5 wire connector and the wires going in and out of it are yellow, it is a white plastic plug, would suggest making sure it is seated and then tape/zip tie it together.

powervalve base gaskets, the right one on mine has blown out, bolts on both powervalves were hand tight at best. would look for oil around the base gaskets and check for tightness. am wondering if this is part of the bog problem...

was mentioned before, the wiring for the left injector splits from the wiring harness near where the right one plugs in. it then wraps under the right bolt that is there to hold on the fuel rail. at this bolt my left side wiring has rubbed through the sheath and rubbed the wires. repair and reroute injector wiring.

the plug for the powervalve activation solenoid and another were zipped tied together soooo tight it was bending the flat 3 wire connector almost in a U, had dug a pretty good groove into it also. remove and relocate zip tie.

Last edited:
M
Nov 28, 2007
or
here is a pic of the powervalve, you can see the oil all around the base where the gasket has blown. if you see oil here its time to do some maintainence!!! to remove the left side powervalve i had to remove the plastic cap off the valve and then unbolt the steering stem that sits in front of it to get clearance to remove it.

000_1410.jpg

this is where i unbolted the steering for clearance, coil bolts flipped, wiring wrapped and secured!!!
000_1420.jpg

power valve removed, don't forget to clean them before you reinstall them!!! i use the wire wheel on my bench grinder to remove the carbon build up and then remove the sludge with a rag and some gas. give them a good coating of injector oil before you reinstall them...
000_1416.jpg

Last edited:
A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Wouldn't a wire wheel scratch the coating on the Power Valve faces? I though there was a non-stick coating on them?

And don't forget to mention cleaning the transfer ports both in the engine block and the power valve housing body itself.....

In my old REV, I would actually get a fair amount of sludge inside the bellows itself...

I Only mention it as some I have talked to neglect these areas.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
all good points, never noticed any type of coating on the valves but there could be. there was very little build up on mine and just had to buff a spot here and there. looked the same as my M and they were not coated. never thought to mention cleaning all the rest, been doing these for so long it just goes with the job:)

there was one thing i was wondering about on the bellows is there any one thing best to clean the rubber surface with??? none of the dirt bikes, quads, sleds i've owned have had them, they've either been mechanical or wire operated.

just thought i'd mention the first thing i do when i pull my hood is cover the intake. have seen many problems from stuck throttles to catastrophic engine failure due to debris falling down the intake while exposed!!!

Premium Features