• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris PRO WOT Issues..

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Ours has been pretty solid up until the last ride.. then it started acting up again..

found another issue that is directly related and may be the cause for others , besides us..

First a little info:
The Pro coil (for the spark plugs) is a DC coil.. meaning it uses DC power to energize it. So, since the Mag only supplys AC, a rectifier is in place to convert it to DC to energize the coil.

We found loose connections in the DC rectifier bulk-head connector located at the front of the clutch cover (front being towards the front of the sled). This is a big white connector filled with yellow wires. At least 1 of our yellow wires was not seated at all in the connector. After we connected this properly in its housing, our issues disappeared.. AGAIN!

Sorry guys, I have no pics.. just look for the rectifier and connector and check and be sure they are all seated in the connector...

Just another thing to check .. who knows, could be the "big cheese"

Kelsey

M

Motoman

Dec 31, 2007
franklin, id
I have just over 400 miles on my sled and it did it about 3 time at WOT after about 30-45 seconds of WOT. It was a very cold day with a lot of powder and only did it on very long pulls. The guy I was with had the same problem and it was his second day, the first was the day before under similair conditions. I rode day before yesterday and it was much warmer and there was no problems at all?????
Could temperature have anything to do with it? The air intakes seemed to be icing up bad!

A
Jan 17, 2011
So, has anyone come to a definitive solution to this issue? My 800 Rush Pro-R is doing the same thing after a few hundred miles on the new sled. I'd like to bring it in to the dealer on Tuesday and have it back by Friday, so I don't miss any riding time. What do they need to replace under warranty; fuel injectors (+ ECU remapping), VES gasket/s, spark plug gaps, plug wires, ... ? Is there a TSB on this yet?!?

M

Motoman

Dec 31, 2007
franklin, id
I took mine into my local dealer, Northstars, here in Preston, and they talked with the Polaris engineer and he told them it was a problem with the TPS module. They reprogrammed mine to the factory specs cause it was off a little and ordered me a new module. Ever since they reprogrammed it tho, it has not given me any problem after it warmed up.

A
Jan 17, 2011
I took mine into my local dealer, Northstars, here in Preston, and they talked with the Polaris engineer and he told them it was a problem with the TPS module. They reprogrammed mine to the factory specs cause it was off a little and ordered me a new module. Ever since they reprogrammed it tho, it has not given me any problem after it warmed up.

So, some people are getting the injectors replaced, some are cleaning the spark plug caps, you got your TPS reprogrammed, and each of those things seems to be fixing the problem. Something doesn't seem right... unless when they replace the injectors they have to reflash the ECU, which in turn reprograms the TPS & they didn't need new injectors in the first place?

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
the main problem with it cutting out at wot is the etc electronic throttle control sensor this is what john at polaris told me. mine has been cutting out probably 3 to 4 times a ride and i have a little over 700 miles, i will be getting my new etc today or tomoro and i will post the results when i go for a ride. and the tps is also affecting it, i would get your tps checked before ordering new injectors just when they check your tps have them check your injectors also, the digital wrench system allows you to test your injectors.

A
Jan 17, 2011
So, the digital wrench will tell the dealer if the injectors are faulty, or not? I want to make sure that when I bring it in that it's for sure fixed. It sounds like different people are doing different things to address the issue.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
i would get your tps checked before ordering new injectors just when they check your tps have them check your injectors also, the digital wrench system allows you to test your injectors.

I was told that they have to hook up a pressure gauge and that the injectors almost impossible to check. Maybe my dealer didn't have all the latest repair gadgets.

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
does it really TEST the injectors??? i would think it would be more like an automotive system and would just report if the injectors have had a failure. i replaced fuel injectors, poo requested a fuel pressure check, mine was right at 60lbs. the only way i know of testing the injectors themsleves would be to either send them out to a testing facility that has a flow bench or you can check for a "pulse" at the injector wiring itself. don't think all of the problems peeps are having are quite the same, mine was not reving over 7,200 and would bounce between 6500-7200 when held pinned.

Last edited:
T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
the computer can turn the injectors on and they click like 5 times at you if you dont hear all 5 clicks than something must be wrong with them. and if you have injector problems you can look at the trouble codes and it will tell you if they are causing problems

A
Dec 8, 2007
cleared right up

took my pro 163 the first day and had some bogging even after the non eth. plug was put in. Took the caps off cleaned them out, cut the wires back and put a new set of bpr9es in it and rode it this weekend. Sled ran WICKED never skipped a beat all day!!

A
Jan 17, 2011
I brought it in to the dealer today & the tech just gave me a call. He said that I had the ethanol resistor in there & that's what was probably causing the issue. I explained to him that I reviewed that with the salesman & tech when I bought the sled & they assured me that the non-ethanol resistor was installed, so I never bothered to check. I guess that explains why my top speed was only ~92mph even when it wasn't bogging / cutting out.

HOWEVER, I told him that this is an issue that others ARE having even with the non-ethanol resistor installed and that I want new injectors installed. He said that he talked to someone at Polaris and they did not authorize the new injectors. We don't have any snow in this area (I ride up north), so all the tech can do is run it on a stand, which probably won't repeat the issue, since there is no load on it. So, he wants to put the correct resistor in it & have me try it again. He checked the TPS & said that everything checks out fine. Checked the spark plug caps and said that one or both were very slightly loose, so he cut a 1/4" off & reinstalled them.

I'm going to be upset if it's still bad & the injectors need to be replaced like I / you guys said !!! If that happens, I'd probably take it to a dealer up north, so they can ride it to test it.

S

sledderdone

Dec 22, 2009
ACT LIKE A 3 YEAR OLD AND THROW A GOOD OLD FASHION TEMPER TANTRUM!

SCREAM AND YELL, FLAIL YOUR ARMS ABOUT!!!! I did and Polaris agreed to swap out my injectors... also told them i was going to cancel my 2012 Sno-Check... that seemed to get their attention.

A

AerialAssault

Jan 31, 2011
Providence, UT
FYI Was definitely the injectors for me!

Started getting the bog/cutout after a couple hundred miles. Tried everything: spark plug caps, gaps, both resistors with both types of fuel (what Polaris techs said to try the first time i took it in) and nothing stopped it. Finally got them to switch out the injectors (mine were yellow and they put new yellow ones in) and the problem went away immediately and has been good for several hundred miles. Also Idles smoother and smoother throttle response.

Premium Features