• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 Dragon owners, check your motor mounts!

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
After two months my Dragon 800 topend is finally back together! Thanks to Polaris for the speedy delivery of parts!

There was a post somewhere else about motor mount bolts breaking so I checked and low and behold I had one broken bolt. Head of bolt was snapped off! Nice made in China hardware most likely!

B
Sep 16, 2008
My clutch side bolt came out, punched a hole thru the clutch, and failed the PTO seal. All this a mere couple days before warranty expired!!!!! I guess I was lucky????

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
The PTO side front mount is a 3/8" x 2 1/2" bolt and it is the weak spot. No idea why they chose a bolt with cut threads clear to the top.

Here it is.

100_6784.jpg

100_6785.jpg

The fix is an ARP replacement bolt from Summit Racing Part # 615-2500 or there is another source mentioned in the thread posted earlier that was mentioned above. Take a look at the earlier threads HERE or HERE for a great description of the bolt differences from MountainHorse who is pretty keen for a Nor Cal guy. Good luck. EW

Last edited:

800 RMK

Nov 26, 2007
Victor Idaho
Yeah mine broke off 2 weeks ago, Bolt ended up going around my primary acouple times and shot out my shock tower vent. Anyone have any luck not pulling the engine to get the rest of the broken bolt out? :beer; :beer;

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Nor Cal Guy.... Sheesh....

I've installed a few with the motor in the sled... You will need to pull the primary to get at it. The ARP bolt shown below (cut and paste from other thread) is easier to install because of the smaller head.

Use locktite on the bolt.

If your bolt breaks... it can really mess up the engine. If it DOES break... check clutch alignment in case the motor moved around a bit.

Quite a few people have brought to my attention that the front PTO motor mount bolts have been breaking off.... sometimes with BAD results... like messed up Drive clutches or bent PTO snouts.

The bolt in question is #19 in the Engine drawing below.

Here is an easy/inexpensive way to help make this area stronger and less prone to failures.

Many of you may chime in and say "I've never had a problem in 3700 miles with a turbo pulling big hills." .... this is a good thing..

And this inexpensive "upgrade" certainly can't hurt.

Polaris, by fixing the position of this front PTO mount, sure did NOT make it easy to align the clutches if they are off... lots of trial and error shimming if your alignment is off (like when you "find" a tree or rock).

And no, the torque stop is not an "Adjuster" to align the clutches. That thing is supposed to be sitting with clearance between it and the motor.

The front PTO mount on the 2007 Thru 2009 IQ RMK's is different than the other 3 in that it uses a bolt into the bulkhead through the isolation mount rather than a stud that is part of the isolation mount.

Most have not had a problem, but some have... it is a cheap fix to improve the strength of this bolt... and can be done by simply removing the primary clutch...

The bolt that Polaris uses is a grade 8 all-thread bolt with cut threads... not the best of quality and cut threads to the bottom of the head further weaken the bolt.

Last week when helping out with the updated piston and turbo install on EricW's Dragon 800 I had the chance to take some pix and put my hands on the parts.

The stock bolt shown in the pic as a gold-cad plated bolt next to a high strength ARP Stainless steel bolt.

The ARP has a significant shoulder as well as rolled threads and superior strength metal. 170,000 Psi tensile along with rolled threads and a substantial shoulder.

Grade 8 has a tensile strength of 150,000 psi... but that is reduced in shear by the cut threads and the fully threaded construction

Fastenall and McMaster Carr (as well as others) have Grade 9 [L9] bolts available as well which have a 180,000 psi rating ... the cost is lower than the ARP and come in a Gold-Cadmium coated finish.
www.mcmaster.com
Part number 90201A327 $8.00 for a 10 pack.
90201apartially.gif

ARP part number 615-2500 $25 pack of 5 with washers. (stainless steel)
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ARP%2D615%2D2500&N=700+0%2B115&autoview=sku

Install these with plenty of blue locktite when you install them.

Buy extras and treat your friends!!

enginemountbolts.jpg

ARPbolts.jpg

90201A327L.GIF

09ASLT.gif

Premium Features