• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cat survey, factory turbo 2s?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Where we ride there are very few places open enough to ever use a turbo. Tight technical trees where finesse and grace rule just make the brute force of a turbo all but useless. So I have 0 interest in something that is going to be harder on the machine, increase maintenance, and make it less reliable.

Last edited:

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Interesting for sure, but not a surprising path if you think about the Yamaha/Cat relationship.

Yamaha was successful a number of years ago with a similar path. The MPI accessory SC and turbo kits sold very well for the Nytro, probably even better with the Vipers with many dealers even installing for customers before delivery, and then they introduced the Sidewinder.

I still think that durability issues on a forced induction two stroke motor will continue to keep this option as an aftermarket solution only or severely limit warranty coverage.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
sounds like it would be an add on out of their catalog for your dealer to install not the factory i betcha.
edit, i see it does say factory (OEM).. hmm.

Last edited:

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
I believe the turbo kits nowadays are not killing parts quite as fast as in years past and therefore think it brings the big manufacturers closer to offering this as an accessory option to be installed by dealer. Also believe they would kick out a 1 year warranty w it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i recently attended an event with several other riders who were invited to discuss with a moderator the direction for new sled builds for the year 2021. although no manufacturers names were mentioned, it seemed clear that ac/textron was behind the discussion, many aspects of sled design were discussed. it was interesting that the moderator brought up the interest riders might have in a factory turbo, two stroke. he also asked how many riders present had turbos, price spent, etc. other questions and discussion centered around the importance of different design concepts, what was important, what was not. also asked about our impressions of all the 4 major brands, advantages and disadvantages. 4 concept drawings were shown, and input from the attendees was solicited as to design features. it seemed clear that whoever did the sled renditions was not very experienced in sled function, etc. maybe someone with mostly trail experience. anyway, it's clear that they were thinking about and testing the interest level of a pump-gas turbo, with warranty and price point for sales. :face-icon-small-ton

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Market demand is one thing. In the end though I think the big hangup will be meeting EPA regs without adding significant complications, weight, and cost over what we're used to.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I don't think you'll ever see it. If they do, it would probably be dumbed down and doubt it would be over 200hp.

EPA regulations, SSCC noise regulations, and the fact that they would have to warrantee it just kill any fun that's to be had.

Someone argued that if they can turbo a Rzr from the factory then they can make a turbo sled...but were talking two different animals. The Rzr is four stroke equipped with a catalytic converter.

I know a Power train engineer in the auto industry and they have concepts that are constantly getting squashed because of regulations. These agencies just don't want us to have fun. Sucks, and I wish we could see it, but I'm just being realistic:face-icon-small-con

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
turbo

The 200 hp would be nice and maybe it would be tough with all the regs. Why not add a turbo with little to no boost at sea level say it make 180 hp and keep adding boost with elevation to maintain the 180 hp. Same emissions same power. Like in the 4 stroke. My old Suzuki 800 has all I need at low elevation if I could keep that at 8000 ft I would be quite happy. Friend has a Polaris turbo when you ride it you don't get the holy crap its an animal. Rather there's just a little extra when you need it. The turbo thing can work and will if someone is determined enough. Now being able to meet emissions,and keep the price affordable that will be a challenge. But that's what manufactures do. AC has some very capable people and now with some financial backing, hang on its going to be a fun ride.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Every Japanese motorcycle company has built at least on turbo sport bike, everyone was dumbed down and also installed on 750 or smaller engine, barley as fast as the companies normally aspirated liter bike

even the new Kawasaki H2 is dumbed down stock

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'd be cool with a dumbed down turbo just for the sole purpose of maintaining 'stock' hp numbers at elevation. I've never even had a 155 hp sled at 9k elevation.

Given the prices of sleds these days, I doubt I could justify whatever it would cost though. Non turbo sleds have gotten ridiculous enough.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i wouldnt buy one on a 800 with 3". Death sentence!
smaller sled, sure. would be nice to not keep making sleds bigger. smaller lighter more fun to ride and still swap high marks with the big old 800s would be ideal imo.

Premium Features