• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker sidekick help needed

Jul 22, 2009
A buddy just picked up a 16 Axys 155 x2.6 with Sidekick. Only about 450 miles on sled but was purchased remotely. Yesterday was it’s first day on the snow for my buddy and there are issues. Allegedly it’s clutched for 8-10k ft which is where we ride; we will be tearing into it to confirm.

The symptoms are weird, if you clamp the throttle it’ll jump to 8,400 RPMs for literally just a second and then quickly drop back down to 7300-7400, if not less. If you keep it clamped at this 7300 RPM it’ll start bogging in and out and even backfire sometimes. It’s not throwing any codes.

I’m new to turbos myself so we’re trying to figure out where to start. Obviously we’ll be calling Boondocker tomorrow but seeing if there is any advice on here too. Any help or starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2009
I should also have added that I’m not totally convinced that this is even a turbo issue but wanted to post it here too. Few thoughts I’ve had... bad gas (some was from last year, not exactly sure how much - maybe 4 gallons, bad plug, would a temp sensor do this?, would reeds do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Had same issue

I had almost the identical issue as you at about 400 miles. Below are all the things that I have done over the last 2 seasons. I'm on a 2016 axys 155 track with a the sidekick turbo and ride at 9k-10k feet.

I hope this helps

1. Replaced Spark Plugs
a. No Change
2. Removed fuel and used new fuel (91 non ethonal and 100 octane race fuel mixed to 93 octane which is necessary to prevent detonation at above 9k feet for my sled)
3. Checked both Clutch Springs, Rollers, Cam Arms etc….
a. No issues, No Change
4. Replaced Primary Spring
a. No Change
5. Replaced Clutch Belt
a. No Change
6. Tried another secondary clutch off another axys
a. No Change
7. Replace clutching with Vohks Clutch Kit
a. No Change
8. Removed and Clean Power Valves and Relearned the E-Ves system at the dealer
a. They were very gummed up
b. Got back to 8,300 RPM
i. I started losing 100-150 RPM again about 400-500 miles later so I repeated step 7 again and it went back to 8,300 RPM.
9. Replaced relay switches and sealed them up
10. Replaced Exhaust doughnuts and resealed them with hi temp sealant
11. Replaced Exhaust Springs
12. Replaced motor mounts
13. Had Dealer Adjust TPS because I was having a low idle issue
a. Didn’t help/change anything
14. Adjusted it myself and that helped a little but it still won’t idle all the time
15. Had BD reflash the BD box to the 2018 flash and had dealer reflash the ECU to the latest flash available
a. This didn’t help the low idle issue but I do feel that it runs more crisp/efficient all the way through.
My sled is ripping pretty good for having about 1000 miles but I can’t get it to idle like it was new. In the end I believe that all of my issues were sled related and not so much turbo related.

The biggest help for me was to clean the exhaust valves and replace the relay switches.

Jul 22, 2009
I had almost the identical issue as you at about 400 miles. Below are all the things that I have done over the last 2 seasons. I'm on a 2016 axys 155 track with a the sidekick turbo and ride at 9k-10k feet.

I hope this helps

1. Replaced Spark Plugs
a. No Change
2. Removed fuel and used new fuel (91 non ethonal and 100 octane race fuel mixed to 93 octane which is necessary to prevent detonation at above 9k feet for my sled)
a. No issues, No Change
a. No Change
5. Replaced Clutch Belt
a. No Change
a. No Change
a. No Change
b. Got back to 8,300 RPM
i. I started losing 100-150 RPM again about 400-500 miles later so I repeated step 7 again and it went back to 8,300 RPM.
14. Adjusted it myself and that helped a little but it still won’t idle all the time
15. Had BD reflash the BD box to the 2018 flash and had dealer reflash the ECU to the latest flash available
a. This didn’t help the low idle issue but I do feel that it runs more crisp/efficient all the way through.
My sled is ripping pretty good for having about 1000 miles but I can’t get it to idle like it was new. In the end I believe that all of my issues were sled related and not so much turbo related.

The biggest help for me was to clean the exhaust valves and replace the relay switches.

Super cool of you to take the time to go through this whole checklist - wanted to send a special thanks for that. We went through many of the same checks - valves, reeds, gas, plugs, checked lines and air box and whatnot, clutches/weights, etc.. Boondocker was very helpful in taking it step by step; finally they had us bypass the box and everything seemed itself up (it had started getting to the point where you could barely get the sled to move, literally) . Turns out its a bad box which they are taking care of. I think some 16's may have had this issue. Nonetheless, we think/hope this is going to take care of it. Boondocker has been great with helping out and taking care of this issue.

For what it's worth on your idle, I have a Silber turbo on a 2016 @ 7lbs and it that runs awesome but idles pretty bad also, particularly when it's cool/cold, so you're not alone. I'm fine dealing with the idle issue given how many other smiles it puts on my face.

C
Jan 2, 2018

I hope this helps

1. Replaced Spark Plugs
a. No Change
a. No issues, No Change
a. No Change
5. Replaced Clutch Belt
a. No Change
a. No Change
a. No Change
b. Got back to 8,300 RPM

Same issues as you thanks for the info

Premium Features