• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HERE'S WHAT I'D LIKE TO SEE... THE 2016 XTD.... Xtreme Terrain Dominator

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
I just bailed on my 15 snowcheck anticipating goodness for a 16. If you want a 15 snowcheck I just might know someone you could call.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
It sounds like what I may be building soon, but all carbon fiber, including the tunnel. Just in the pricing stages using the same design. narrow tunnel and track, narrow the body work and narrow the ski stance. full carbon every piece possible. if not carbon it will be titanium.

I have not posted anything other than this because it is in the design and pricing stage. Once I have it narrowed down I will let you know. I would like to build 5-10 of these a year based on pre orders.

TJ

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I love new tech but,,, I'm still really excited about this winter lol.
On a ol' '13 too. Weird eh!

Every year it seems to get better. This year one more air shock, another 4.25lbs gone, bit more torque and HP, back to ol' reliable Camo.

Cost has never really been an issue but my '12 Cat changed my view on simply trusting your brand. Poo may be different. Maybe not.

Love the one your with, at least until you get to live with "something new" for a while.
Heck, it might ask you for new shoes every payday!

S
I think someone needs to come up with a concept whereby all the things that cause us to get stuck are eliminated.

Let's think about this, what did your sled look like the last time it was stuck? Front of the sled up in the air, track "hanging" off the running boards trying to grab snow that it couldn't? Why hasn't someone figured out a jet-ski with a track? I remember seeing someone prototype something like that back in the '90's, and most people laughed at the idea. It also had some puny honda motor, and probably no track or suspension, but it never had a chance... it was doomed back then for missing that big comfy bench seat! (Damned if I could find a picture of it...)

The trick would make it handle, but hell, give some engineers a bit of time, they'd figure that out. Maybe two skinny tracks, that do tank style steering, but faster, computerized like something out of a segway.

I really do think that the era of building a mountain sled on a trail sled chassis is going to come to a close soon. Putting the engine in front of the track was something that was done to get the CG low, but imagine if the primary was up on the tunnel, the secondary was in front of the primary, we'd have the mass of the sled incredibly centralized, up a bit higher though where a rider could really control how a sled leaned, plus a 172" wouldn't look quite so redonkulous and really truly could be as short as a 153". A skinny motor on top of the tunnel would let you have the clutches "in board" as well, and really narrow up the body work.

Anyway, just ideas... no basis in any kind of reality...

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Any major changes in chassis, ski stance or track width can easily be addressed.....Looking into my crystal ball in the near future motors will be much leaner perhaps even a single cylinder. cvt's will also be smaller with less rotating mass and possible even a direct drive. Rear suspension will be fully integrated with a one valve system. Track will be 14x2.72x148 dry weight #302

DPG

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
My Speculation is something radical... like the sled described in the first post of this thread...

AND then ALSO a tamer "AXYS-RMK" with the typical long tunnel and new fwd cab... plus cutout footwells that allow you to hike farther fwd...the AXYS will be a more natural transition.. and hopefully with reliable 800HO power...Like Bobby posted up.

One chassis that is a specialized "extreme terrain" weapon... and Different Versions of an all-around "Mountain sled" in PRO-Chassis and AXYS chassis variants.

Just a guess.

I don't think that Bobby's photoshop is too far off the mark... I think it would be "AXYS-RMK" though...The new Rush is 'AXYS-RUSH'

attachment.php

In their rear view mirror, with the yellow banana and Vipe Mt. Poo had to step up with some real snowcheck options for the current RMK to sell some MY 15s. It worked.

If they DON'T offer a new platform for 16, it won't work again. For that reason in particular I think that 16 will be the next evolution of the RMK. Poo will still offer the current platform in 16, it's been too successful to scrub it, and too risky. Talk to AC about that one, and I'm sure Poo still smarts from the hole they dug in 05/06. Enjoy the heck out of the 15's, they'll be the best RMK to-date. You can only ride one season at a time.

Last edited:
S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
You know what guys, I have seen Yamaha loaded with blows and wistles like power steering, security system, remote start, warmers for all possible parts of body, etc. I had question right away - riding THIS, do you call your self sledder? True sledder?

All stated recommendations for design improvement - it might pull us away from real fun? I don`t want sled which I can steer with one finger or by mental power. I dont want sled wich is doing all job for me. I dont want self-adjustable sled which makes hill climbing effortless or/and joyless.

Where is my 96 XLT RMK, with dead shocks, damaged plastic shoes on metal skiis, and worn out hifax? Where is my first sled I`ve lost 15 kgs of body mass over it during the season? Where is my filling before going for new challenges: "Will I make it through or not?"

Guys, you`ve got my point?

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You know what guys, I have seen Yamaha loaded with blows and wistles like power steering, security system, remote start, warmers for all possible parts of body, etc. I had question right away - riding THIS, do you call your self sledder? True sledder?

All stated recommendations for design improvement - it might pull us away from real fun? I don`t want sled which I can steer with one finger or by mental power. I dont want sled wich is doing all job for me. I dont want self-adjustable sled which makes hill climbing effortless or/and joyless.

Where is my 96 XLT RMK, with dead shocks, damaged plastic shoes on metal skiis, and worn out hifax? Where is my first sled I`ve lost 15 kgs of body mass over it during the season? Where is my filling before going for new challenges: "Will I make it through or not?"

Guys, you`ve got my point?

But I don't see you selling your "12 polaris rmk pro 800 155 + MTNTK kit + wrapped" to go back to your XLT.

If it was that great, you would, wouldn't you?

I get what you're saying, but there's nobody here who is willing to actually follow through.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I see where you are coming from.... No one wants a "hover-sled"

This concept would be a handful to ride... and very challenging in terrain that was not previously accessible, even by top riders.

S

SU27

May 4, 2013
Edmonton
So, your point "there is always terra incognita for snowmobilers to discover". How many want to explore this "terra incognita"? How many can lose fan over using XTD in normal conditions? MAybe XTD is just highly modded custom sled, which exists already for very extra money?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So, your point "there is always terra incognita for snowmobilers to discover". How many want to explore this "terra incognita"? How many can lose fan over using XTD in normal conditions? MAybe XTD is just highly modded custom sled, which exists already for very extra money?

As of yet nobody has came up with something even close to what A snowhawk or snow bike feels like, that also gets up on top of the snow and has enough power to climb.

A snow bike with a turbo performs like a 600 RMK from 2006. Much funner to ride but still.

A snow hawk with a long track and a big motor still trenches like a mofo.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
Narrowing the track should not even be considered. Where do you think all of the flotation comes from? Removing 1" of width is a massive reduction in surface area, what is the actual footprint of a Pro in a static state? If anything, I would like to see a perfected concept similar to what doo did with the T-motion skid on a wider track, a more robust front a-arm/suspension setup, and more power.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Save the widetracks for different terrain...This thing, if pulled off, would go places that Burandt couldn't go on a regular machine.

A tall lugged, lightweight machine, IMO... wouldn't have any issue getting around int he deep.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Totally....look no further than the snowbike. They get around pretty considering 1/3 the horsepower of a sled and 2/3's of the weight.

A wider track and tunnel is totally the wrong direction for this type of riding and for lower sled weight.

Premium Features