• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Shooting & the Politics of it

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
You can’t try until you try.

Rather die in defense not running away....

You suggesting disarming our solders? Maybe those religious radicals will feel sorry for them because they don’t have any weapons?

That is laughable Dude. I did not suggest anything of the sort, You inserted that suggestion because it feeds into your narrative of "guns make you safe" I was merely proving evidence that that narrative is wrong by giving you an example of our soldiers that are heavily armed and heavily trained and are still not safe against this type of terrorism. Nice try to putting words in my mouth to further your partisan cause

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The best solution to me is start teaching our kids to be nice. I mean if someone anyone would have approached that kid years ago while getting bullied and became his friend, just someone to listen to his problems as he was dealing with them, maybe that would have helped prevent this. Instead everyone including his classmates are pointing fingers that no one helped them out of this situation that they themselves created. Seems pointless to point fingers at others when they HELPED create the problem. Just my .02

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
The best solution to me is start teaching our kids to be nice. I mean if someone anyone would have approached that kid years ago while getting bullied and became his friend, just someone to listen to his problems as he was dealing with them, maybe that would have helped prevent this. Instead everyone including his classmates are pointing fingers that no one helped them out of this situation that they themselves created. Seems pointless to point fingers at others when they HELPED create the problem. Just my .02

This is true.

But what do the survivors do...... just picket and rant/chant “NO MORE GUNS” easier to blame an inanimate object I guess.

Jean-Luc Picard

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2017
Blackfoot, Idaho
www.bennyfifeaudio.com
attachment.php

AMEN!!!

Kinda nice to see after the weekend my post grew by 3 pages.

Lots of good points.

17 dead, many more injured.
Finger pointing solves nothing, yet started immediately, before the blood cooled.
NRA first, then the FBI.

Some of you ain't gonna like what I'm gonna say here.
I hope those that teased, harassed and bullied this kid realize that they played a part in these murders as well.
Who knows what the outcome would have been if one special young person would have shown kindness when this kid needed it?
Kids can be brutally unmerciful. I know, I was one.
I took part in teasing and bullying, and it's one of the largest mistakes and regret I have from my youth.
I wish someone would have set me straight back then. I would love to look back at those times with pride instead of shame.
Looking back, the teachers knew what was going on, they talked to us as a whole class about it which did no good. They should have talked to us one on one and shamed the hell out of each and every one of us.

Thanks a lot for this comment.

I was generally on the bullied end of the spectrum, but there were a couple of times I recall saying something that can only be characterized as cruel. More than 20 years later, I still wish I could go back & take back what I said.

The other thing in this discussion - and why I brought it up in the first place - I actually changed my mind significantly on this whole issue 6 or 7 years ago in the wake of, I think, the Sandy Hook shooting. Listening to all the hype & knee jerk reactions of "take away the assault rifles." It got me thinking about the 2nd amendment in an entirely different way. If the GOVERNMENT is allowed outrageous weaponry, should not the CITIZENRY be able to have access to the same materials?

This is The perspective I used to take on the 2nd ammendment:

Time and time again I see and hear people bringing up the second amendment and not having a clue of why or how it came about or what it really means. Here's a clue. Read the first four F***ing words.

A Well Regulated.
To control or maintain.

Militia.
A military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency....

This is what I remember from my eighth grade history class.
clock.gif

The phrase "A well Regulated Militia" has been tossed around an awful lot to say it isn't the citizens' right, but the government.

The whole thing reads:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The next 9 words - "being necessary to the security of a free State"
Meaning, we need weapons if we want to maintain freedom.

Then next 10 words "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms." Sure sounds like the citizenry to me.

and the final 4 words: "shall not be infringed." That part seems pretty darn cut & dry. (that's the phrase that made me change my mind on gun control about 120 degrees.[no not a full 180].)

I realize I'm interpereting it according to the way I read it & I am also willing to agree that it can even seem a little self contradictory there too. I also think relying on what you learned in 8th grade history is a matter of being told what to think. That's what our school system is built on. What to think, and sometimes, when to think, but SELDOM HOW to think. When we think for ourselves we find our own principles & priorities.

Last edited:
D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I don't know what the answer is for these incidents and can only hope that we may someday be able to prevent these from happening.
Do we need more gun control? I my opinion no we don't, we have plenty of gun control laws on the books currently that I doubt if anyone knows how many or what they all are! Incidents like this and previous ones make a lot of people think that we need more and more gun control. Why don't we just enforce the current laws instead of getting more and more of them on the books? Would that stop these incidents, maybe and maybe not, I don't know.
He admitted to the shooting of these people, but from what I read, it may be years before he is brought to trial. So we the American people will spend countless dollars on checking every facet of his life, plus all the evaluations by who knows how many experts, plus the legal fees. Just guessing it will be well over seven figures before the trial even starts.
Here is a case where they have admitted to doing the act, so why are we going to be going down this long costly road for him? Have a trial within the next few days, get a verdict, sentence them the same day, and if given a death sentence allow them say an hour to make amends with their family, the victims families, and whom they believe in as the supreme being, then execute them.
Now I'm sure there will lots who say we need to take proper legal action, do process in order to protect them. But what if we did like mentioned above, don't you think it may cause people to think about there actions prior to committing them?

...will plead guilty, IF, he's spared the death penalty?

Why should we let him decide? smh

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That would be better than running around willy nilly trying to round up guns!
For sure...like I say it's going really good with the current system - why change?

Sarcasm aside....if I lived in the U.S. my kid would be home schooled. Wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise.

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
Round up all these screwball shooters and send them up Nort’ to live
with JTK. That is punishment enough and should send a strong message
to any others planning a shooting rampage.

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
For sure...like I say it's going really good with the current system - why change?

Sarcasm aside....if I lived in the U.S. my kid would be home schooled. Wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise.

Better not let them go outside either cuz they have a better chance of getting struck by lightning then killed in a school shooting!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Better not let them go outside either cuz they have a better chance of getting struck by lightning then killed in a school shooting!
You got the wrong guy if you think I'm worried about everything under the sun or over protective. But that one is nightmare-causing enough that I would do something about it. I would rather save my risks for more fun stuff, JMO

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
You got the wrong guy if you think I'm worried about everything under the sun or over protective. But that one is nightmare-causing enough that I would do something about it. I would rather save my risks for more fun stuff, JMO

I’m not saying your over protective at all. That’s a parents choice to keep their kids home. I totally understand!!! I’m just saying that the chances of it happening to your child is extremely unlikely! Driving to go do the fun stuff is more dangerous then being in school!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
So memes and gun control arguments aside ...

Any thoughts as to WHY this is so much larger an issue in the U.S. than other places? Several people are sure that it's not due to the large number of guns, and the relative ease of getting them/lack of regs. So lets say that's 100% true for argument's sake .... why are school shootings so much more likely in the U.S. than anywhere else? U.S kids more violent? Seems kinda shaky. Less public health/mental health care support? Seems like a potential winner....but if you are against gun control in this thread, my math says you're also against public funded health care sooo...where does that leave you guys? What else?

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
Cut off their hands on the spot in front of everyone and leave them be.
The only way this helps obviously is if they wish not to die.

If they take their own life or wish to be shot, well then it has to start on how and who they got the weapon from. Whether it be from family or salesman. They have to be held accountable then.

Maybe thats a start??

J

jerrydecoy

May 12, 2011
coeurd'Alene, id
So memes and gun control arguments aside ...

Any thoughts as to WHY this is so much larger an issue in the U.S. than other places? Several people are sure that it's not due to the large number of guns, and the relative ease of getting them/lack of regs. So lets say that's 100% true for argument's sake .... why are school shootings so much more likely in the U.S. than anywhere else? U.S kids more violent? Seems kinda shaky. Less public health/mental health care support? Seems like a potential winner....but if you are against gun control in this thread, my math says you're also against public funded health care sooo...where does that leave you guys? What else?

I believe whole heartedly it’s a mental health issue! I haven’t a clue how to fix that but I do believe that banning weapons or an attempt at more gun laws doesn’t change that fact. Until someone smarter then me figures that one out... I fear the killings will continue and not just by firearms!!!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I believe whole heartedly it’s a mental health issue! I haven’t a clue how to fix that but I do believe that banning weapons or an attempt at more gun laws doesn’t change that fact. Until someone smarter then me figures that one out... I fear the killings will continue and not just by firearms!!!
Would you be receptive to significantly increasing public funding for mental health support?

Premium Features