• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha first ride impressions

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I already warned my riding buddies,
If my flap breaks, I'm not replacing..
Gonna through snow balls at them if they're behind me!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for the bad rep snowmoman over this post. Pretty sad people hide in the corner and just hit the bad rep button. Don't have anything to add or say why they disagree. Really bad feature. Really makes me mad. Those are the people, in society, that key your car, flatten your tires, or give you the finger. Basically snowests version of antifa. Pretty sad they don't get rid of this feature.

sometimes I think its hit by accident on the phones, I wouldn't get mad, lifes too short man. Look how many thumbs down our prez gets, aint no thing:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Lost my snow flap on the first ride today too. I’ve never had a cat flap tear like these. Very similar to my 18 MC, but does everything easier. Can’t notice any difference between them on the trail. Will be riding with 850 po and doos on Friday. Excited to have some good comparisons.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
I knew this thing would be the greatest thing since milk. Everyone was worried about washing out. It is when you don't have forward momentum or traction that sleds really wash out. Even the axys, which is awesome imo, will do it. That is why the 174 xm was pretty good but the 154 was awful. Sounds like the alpha has both. Can't wait to try mine.
i assume you meant mothers milk....in the container :face-icon-small-hap

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So Utah has gotten pounded with snow the last couple weeks. Have had my alpha out 3 days now and almost 150 miles of deep powder riding. It’s a very easy sled to ride. Takes very little effort to tree ride. The track seriously hooks up, it does trench some. Rode yesterday with three friends on boondocker sidekick axys 800’s. My alpha is 100% stock with stock clutching riding mostly at 9,000-10,500 feet. Never have I seen stock mountain sled clutching work this well at this altitude. Pulling 8200rpm in deep snow and maintaining 38-40mph track speed. On riding back and forth on the turbo axys the stock alpha is no slouch. The axys had 36” zborz arms, 1” narrowing zborz spindles and skis in narrow setting. The axys with that very narrow set up felt similar to the alpha, but the alpha was more controllable and easier to get and maintain on its edge. You could tell the turbo axys made more power, but the Polaris 2.6 track spins a lot and doesn’t hook up near as well as the alpha track, so forward momentum (acceleration) seemed similar. All of us agreed that as soon as I get my turbo on my alpha it will be a complete animal and blow away a 800 axys turbo running similar boost.

B
Jul 28, 2008
So Utah has gotten pounded with snow the last couple weeks. Have had my alpha out 3 days now and almost 150 miles of deep powder riding. It’s a very easy sled to ride. Takes very little effort to tree ride. The track seriously hooks up, it does trench some. Rode yesterday with three friends on boondocker sidekick axys 800’s. My alpha is 100% stock with stock clutching riding mostly at 9,000-10,500 feet. Never have I seen stock mountain sled clutching work this well at this altitude. Pulling 8200rpm in deep snow and maintaining 38-40mph track speed. On riding back and forth on the turbo axys the stock alpha is no slouch. The axys had 36” zborz arms, 1” narrowing zborz spindles and skis in narrow setting. The axys with that very narrow set up felt similar to the alpha, but the alpha was more controllable and easier to get and maintain on its edge. You could tell the turbo axys made more power, but the Polaris 2.6 track spins a lot and doesn’t hook up near as well as the alpha track, so forward momentum (acceleration) seemed similar. All of us agreed that as soon as I get my turbo on my alpha it will be a complete animal and blow away a 800 axys turbo running similar boost.

How would you compare the alpha to your mtn cat? Similar or big difference? Does the tail feel lighter due to less snow on the track/rail?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I can attest to the Extra traction of the Alpha over the Mtn Cat.
As for handling, very similar, just easier on the Alpha.
First 10miles i rode the Alpha with dealers shock settings. It was more planted than my Mtn Cat. Then i adjusted the shocks to match the Mtn cat. I will be making adjustments next ride for sure.

U can't tell any difference on the trail between the 2.

T
Feb 28, 2016
Of everyone that's ridden the new alpha who has ridden the 154, the 165, or both? I'm coming off a 16 limited 153 and don't do a whole lot of climbing but since the dealership messed up I can either take a 165 home tomorrow or wait a bit and hope for a 154. A buddy has a 13 with a 162 and I hate that it feels like a boat. Any input is welcome thanks!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
2008-2017 ive been on 153s.
2018 went 162 mtn Cat, 2019 165 Alpha.
If u prefer wheelies and a tight re-entry, then the 154 would suit u better.
Mtn cat 162 and Mtn Cat Alpha one 165 are not Boats. The extra length makes steep sidehills much easier, almost too easy at times.
U can stop uphill and take off.
With all the traction from the G4 powerclaw Track, i bet the 154 is close to a 162. I would like to see an uphill challenge between those 2.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Of everyone that's ridden the new alpha who has ridden the 154, the 165, or both? I'm coming off a 16 limited 153 and don't do a whole lot of climbing but since the dealership messed up I can either take a 165 home tomorrow or wait a bit and hope for a 154. A buddy has a 13 with a 162 and I hate that it feels like a boat. Any input is welcome thanks!

Do your self a favor don't make a decision using the 13 as a comparison. That maybe all you have but other than the name on the sled they are so different. The 18 and up Ascender is so easy to ride, beg, borrow, rent one if you have to but ride one first.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I HATED the 18’ mountain cat 162. Such a pita to pull the front around in any maneuver. I jumped on a 153 mountain cat that same day and I fell in love with the 153 mountain cat. 3 different people said the same thing. They loved the 153 but hated the 162. I can’t say if the alpha is the same way but the 154 alpha is a ton of fun. Very maneuverable sled.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Got my Alpha 154” out for the first good day of riding. I came off of a ‘16 M8000 LTD 153”. I’m very impressed, I’ll try to put the goods and bads below..

Taction is redicuous. It will climb itself out of anything and it just goes and goes. There were some lines I took today that I just couldn’t believe. When you think You’re about to get buried, it just doesn’t give up and pulls you right back on top of the snow.

Power is surprising. Maybe it’s the low end, the clutching, or just the crispness, but it wasn’t even close to the ‘16 LTD Cat I was riding with. Had a chute I climbed it first attempt fresh powder and the ‘16 couldn’t make it after I had a track going up it.

Suspension setup is critical. Had issue with it wheelieing a LOT right away and wanting to turn up hill in a side hill. I adjusted the quick adjust settings and it made a lot of difference. Put the front track shock on 1 and locked the back out and it was very close to ideal. Adjusted pressures now and will see what that does. Put 150 in the rear, dropped the front track shock pressure to 60 from 70, and raised the ski shocks to 60 from 55.

The only thing I think it doesn’t do as well as a two rail design is the very slow “walking” side hill on a moderate to low grade hill. It doesn’t create that edge to keep it tipped up nice. Almost pushes you back planted. If you’re moving at any speed, this goes away completely. On steeper hills it works perfect, only the low grade if you’re trying to walk it through a very tight spot.

Bumper is weak...and the new air box design is a little odd. The traction and power got me...powered up ledge through a tight spot onto a side hill and ended up misjudging and center punched a tree... minor details ?

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
How many of you alpha riders out there have already taken it off some drops or hit any good jumps? I ask because I wonder about how much abuse it can take and also being so easy to tip from side to side if it would mess up your approach and throw you off things on an angle. Does the ease of tipping make landing sketchy? I know everyone is into doing the side hill carve thru thick trees on a sharp hill but what is most fun to me is dropping off a cornice or hitting a drift at wot and landing into a couple feet of dry fluffy heaven. Any real riding experience doing that yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
How many of you alpha riders out there have already taken it off some drops or hit any good jumps? I ask because I wonder about how much abuse it can take and also being so easy to tip from side to side if it would mess up your approach and throw you off things on an angle. Does the ease of tipping make landing sketchy? I know everyone is into doing the side hill carve thru thick trees on a sharp hill but what is most fun to me is dropping off a cornice or hitting a drift at wot and landing into a couple feet of dry fluffy heaven. Any real riding experience doing that yet?

Sounds like a Hardcore is more suited for your riding style.

B
Feb 25, 2018
Shock settings make a HUGE difference in handling on these sleds.

Got any recomendations? Explations? Just got mine alpha and have little snow. Last snowmobile have been axys..
On axys I liked semi hard on skies (not soft as all other have). Soft front boggie, semi hard on back boggie.. all walker evans click..
190lbs, so you got any recommendation on fox/alpha

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
75 skis
35front
140 rear

That will make it feel as planted as an Axys.

55 skis
70 front
120 rear

That will make it a rolly polly super playfull sled

I still need to dial mine in. Only 1 ride so far.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Sounds like a Hardcore is more suited for your riding style.

I figured that to be the case but I do like the idea of better traction and maneuverability because I do enjoy all other types of riding also, just not sure I’m willing to sacrifice it for what I like best.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise

I'm sure it will be more stable off jumps...will keep its angle better and not get pushed off angle as easily as a standard skid. Everything I've experienced is that the more narrow, easier tipping sleds do a better job of launching with stability...they don't get knocked around as easily.

And this skid should be very robust. A standard skid with 2 rails is basically a parallelogram with minimal gussets due to the suspension components having to be in there. The monorail is a much more ideal structure, allowing for an angle into the attachment point of the tunnel...inherently stronger. And way, way less twisting/torsion force on the skid and tunnel...think about it, twin rails allow for one rail to be entirely loaded up and applying force to only one side of the tunnel...the monorail will, for the most part, apply equal forces to each side of the tunnel. Not to pick on ski doo, but remember the flex link breaking in those a bit back? That is due to large torsional forces from one rail being loaded up while the other is not. Lastly, the monorail allows a better form factor...is a singular monocoque structure which allows for larger forces with less weight.

Obviously time will tell and the young whipper snappers out there will be launching and finding out. Me? I'm 46 with an 80 year old back...I'm content to keep the track on the snow.

Premium Features