• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cats reputation

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I sit here and often wonder if I’m the ones who’s lost my marbles?

I mean there are so many cat haters out there is honestly crazy. Poo and Doo can sit there blow motors day in and day out or need extra bracing and that’s ok. If cat needed that we’d never hear the end of it. It’s really and double edge sword. Cat is that nerdy kid in high school that needs to be better then great to get recognized. It’s reallu ashame. I hope this 18 mountain cat i just bought will put the 850 in its place :p just for some bragging rights a little.

What do you think about cat? Are you coming a different brand?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I hope this 18 mountain cat i just bought will put the 850 in its place

Just sidehill in a straight line. Then go uphill above a tree. And then downhill and go in a straightline again.

Look behind you and that 850 will definitely be in it's place. Pointed straight uphill and stuck.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Just sidehill in a straight line. Then go uphill above a tree. And then downhill and go in a straightline again.

Look behind you and that 850 will definitely be in it's place. Pointed straight uphill and stuck.

It would be nice to put it in ya place considering cat is riding old tech plus apparently 12 hp less then the 850. It be some serious bragging rights

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You have a brand new direct injection motor, a first ever self adjusting clutch system, and you're worried about 'old tech?' They finally got the chassis dialed so I'm not sure there's much to complain about there.

Personally I don't care if it has 50 more hp, it still steers like a trail sled, and punishes you in anything other than a straight line or just leaning over sideways. They'll put the rider in front of the motor make the track slide out from under the rails trying to get it handle right before they wise up and fix their stupid steering system.

But hey if you want to sell your 18 cheap, just let me know. ;)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT

So true, the 850 motor/track does some amazing work. BUT, I cant believe they keep doubling down on their botched steering and other dumb ways of making it work better.

Also for all the guys sleeping on the 18 cats. DONT. They are a serious machine. About sick of my axys falling apart and after spending some itme on one this weekend I could see myself on one very soon. They are 95% of an axys in the trees, better in the air and a little tougher of a sled.

I have been a big cat hater since the proclimb came out but I have to say the 18 kitties WORK.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Ski Doo and Polaris do a better job at marketing for sure. I have been riding Cat for a LONG time and remember back in the 2001-2004 days when the King Cat came around and I felt it was the best sled there was. Then the M came in 2005 and KILLED everything else. I always thought it was cool to be one of only a couple riders in the group and sometimes the ONLY rider in the group on an Arctic Cat. That all changed in 2005-2009 and seemed to go back that direction in 2012.

The 2018 is a ripper.....but sometimes I like to stand out and not just be part of the herd, so if none of the Poo or Doo guys switch it will all be fine.......

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Few years back my buddy, and I were riding rabbit ears on our cats. We were like a turd in a punch bowl! But things I hit that day would have ripped axys sleds apart.
Bent an arm a few times in the canyon, but always rode out. That matters to me the most.
I think it's media shaming, marketing, and ignorance being portrayed as fact that make the cat not popular.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I personally never owned a doo or a poo for
That matter. But when I swing a leg over a doo wow I feel lost who in there right mind would have thought that steering set-up works? Beyond me.
The axys though that felt like a cat just like a 600 Cat ?

It’s not to say that bomb didn’t have amazing revolutionary tech. Engine reverse ?? Keyed tether ?? And most resent and the best of all SHOT ??
I’m
Hoping with cats endless deep pockets the tech will start rolling out there was a time where cat was the innovator in a little to young to remember that time though

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Currently on a 16M limited, came off a 12 pro rmk. Loved my rmk, right up until the engine let go with 2800 miles on it. At my age and skill level, I will never be able to ride these to their full potential. As far as sled bashing, on one ear, and out the other lol.

bcriderm8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2010
n/c Iowa
As long as there are multiple brands, there will always be brand loyalty. Its what you're used to. I have been riding cats since 07. Had an M8 in 07, 2010 sno pro, 14 ltd and now an 18 mc. I have rode the other brands, although have not spent much time on them. Still come back to a cat because its familiar.
Speaking to reliablity, 6000 miles spread over 3 sleds with no major engine/drive issues I would say is pretty damn hard to beat.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
They are all great sleds. Period.
I got over my brand loyalty a couple years ago. Really glad I did too. Opened my eyes a bit.
There are things I love about my Axys! Lots of things! There are things I love about my Cat too and I’ve got a lot of seat time on a well set up 16 that is plush. The 18s have got even more to offer.
I believe if I had a doo I’d feel the same way.
God knows I’d love to have that “SHOT” system, and I’ve not heard much bad about that 850 power.
Cats rep is in the “comeback” phase I believe. They’ll have to invest heavily in marketing and social media (and for the love of god start paying some of these backcountry kings big money to get out in the videos) if they wanna gain back the share. They have the pockets full of coin now so I’m standing by to see the next greatest thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
I bought a 2012 Pro climb from Racinstation had him do a bunch of mods to it, I spent a nice chunk of change on it. That thing was the biggest belt eating, trenching POS I've ever owned. I swore I would never buy a Cat again ever! Since 2012 I have switched back and forth riding the Xm's, Axy's, last year the 850X.

I have been happy with both the Axy's and Gen 4 sleds. This year I decided to roll the dice and bought a new Mtn Cat 162 for the simple reason, I'm always game for a change when a company puts out the effort to upgrade their product. I buy a new sled each year and am not brand loyal what's so ever and am picking up my sled this week and hoping for the best.

I know one thing for sure, if this Cat disappoints me like that 2012 Pro Climb did, this will be my last dance with Cat will soon find out.........

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I bought a 2012 Pro climb from Racinstation had him do a bunch of mods to it, I spent a nice chunk of change on it. That thing was the biggest belt eating, trenching POS I've ever owned. I swore I would never buy a Cat again ever! Since 2012 I have switched back and forth riding the Xm's, Axy's, last year the 850X.

I have been happy with both the Axy's and Gen 4 sleds. This year I decided to roll the dice and bought a new Mtn Cat 162 for the simple reason, I'm always game for a change when a company puts out the effort to upgrade their product. I buy a new sled each year and am not brand loyal what's so ever and am picking up my sled this week and hoping for the best.

I know one thing for sure, if this Cat disappoints me like that 2012 Pro Climb did, this will be my last dance with Cat will soon find out.........

I hope it works well for you! I'm a pretty die hard Cat guy, but even I didn't want a 2012. They soured a lot of people I'm sure. I call it the Polaris 900 of the arctic cat world. I do have a friend with one and hasn't had an issue. I think cat's glorious marketing people got in the way and wanted something new to put out for the 50th anniversary before it was ready. Unfortunately the stigma of that sled followed what became a great chassis for a long time. I hope the 2018s finally shatter that.

I used to love riding my M7 up and helping the die hard guys on new pros get unstuck (not in avy terrain), then take off back across the hill :face-icon-small-hap You can make up for a lot of sled with a little skill.

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
I hope it works well for you! I'm a pretty die hard Cat guy, but even I didn't want a 2012. They soured a lot of people I'm sure. I call it the Polaris 900 of the arctic cat world. I do have a friend with one and hasn't had an issue. I think cat's glorious marketing people got in the way and wanted something new to put out for the 50th anniversary before it was ready. Unfortunately the stigma of that sled followed what became a great chassis for a long time. I hope the 2018s finally shatter that.

I used to love riding my M7 up and helping the die hard guys on new pros get unstuck (not in avy terrain), then take off back across the hill :face-icon-small-hap You can make up for a lot of sled with a little skill.
That makes two of us brother, from what I've read I think it will. Funny thing is I've also had an M7 and the Poo 900, been riding for quite a few years and ride pretty hard.

The thing is when your riding with a group of guys on your same level or better and your the one on the sled that's clearly under performing it makes for a long day. My first trip out with that 2012 Pro Climb, I went on a 3 day ride to Oregon. That POS blew two belts in under hundred miles. The second day I had to ride out using a buddies Polaris belt which was interesting to say the least, and missed the 3rd day of riding all together. No dealer was close, so I got to drive home early and miss the 3rd day of awesome powder.

That's just one of the memories of that sled, I have many and they're not got. I would be here wasting a lot of band width getting into all the issues that sled had. Lol

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
They are all great sleds. Period.
I got over my brand loyalty a couple years ago. Really glad I did too. Opened my eyes a bit.
There are things I love about my Axys! Lots of things! There are things I love about my Cat too and I’ve got a lot of seat time on a well set up 16 that is plush. The 18s have got even more to offer.
I believe if I had a doo I’d feel the same way.
God knows I’d love to have that “SHOT” system, and I’ve not heard much bad about that 850 power.
Cats rep is in the “comeback” phase I believe. They’ll have to invest heavily in marketing and social media (and for the love of god start paying some of these backcountry kings big money to get out in the videos) if they wanna gain back the share. They have the pockets full of coin now so I’m standing by to see the next greatest thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. They all make great sleds and wish I could afford one of each. Each chassis does take a little time to get used too but I believe they are all good right now. I'm so used to the Polaris and the little effort it takes to ride I keep going back to the Axys. Everyone talkes about how they will fold up or bend but I have not found that too be the case with either the Pro or my Axys. I do try to keep myself under 200lbs though. That may play into it a bit. But our entire group rides them and hasn't had issues.

We do have a guy that but the 2018 cat this year and I am anxious to see how he does on this thing. He is a good rider so I'm sure he will make it look easy. Hope it is problem free for him as well.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Well yesterday was my first day out on the new Mountain Cat. After passing the 6000rpm limit and the beast was awaken. Let me tell you it makes the old zuke seem Slow and sluggish this beast of a mammoth engine unreal the power the response. I was in LaLa land
Great job can’t wait to have more then 8 inches of snow

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Jea! It feels gooood! And after 6 hour you will get full power!! Can't wait! 4 hour left. And those led lights are good! Damn!

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I seen some dyno charts Of the new ctec and it said 156-158 but that’s before full break in what could we expect after break in?

Premium Features