• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What age?

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
Just curious how old your kids were when you started them on a mini? My boy will be 2 this winter. I'm sure that sounds crazy but he LOVES riding his quad (Electric) and is pretty fearless. Can he ride a 120 at that age? Also, how easy is it to set the limiter and how far can you go? Can I reduce the sled down to 2-3 MPH?

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
It's ok to start them young

I started my boys out young. One was riding when he was 2, but didn't last long in the cold. If they are talking it's a whole lot better so you know if they are cold or not. Little hands with gloves or mittens can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. If I let them go when they wanted & stop when they wanted, it usually was a great time. You can make the 120s go real slow, they have a generator engine in them and it they can idle for hours. Good luck!!!!!!

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Just curious how old your kids were when you started them on a mini? My boy will be 2 this winter. I'm sure that sounds crazy but he LOVES riding his quad (Electric) and is pretty fearless. Can he ride a 120 at that age? Also, how easy is it to set the limiter and how far can you go? Can I reduce the sled down to 2-3 MPH?

Had my 2 1/2 year old daughter on a Kitty Kat for short (straight) runs.

At 3 years old she rode a 4-wheeler, took her a couple of months to get the hang of it.

At 3 1/2 she got a POLARIS 120 DRAGON, I set the governor on the SLOWEST speed, and she rode it like a pro the VERY 1st TIME OUT @ 3 1/2 !! She had no difficulty steering it at all, maneuvered around trees and was doing "laps" around the yard.

Used the disposable 'Hot Packs" in her Sno-Boots to keep her feet warm

And at 6 1/2 she started driving her friends around in her PINK RZR 170.

Enjoy, those a priceless moments

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
our 3 year old boy took to it great, made it to where it just engaged at thats all the throttle he got, he ripped in circles for hours loving it. :)

gonna adjsut the cable and givem more throttle shortly.

-Aksnopro

J
Jul 10, 2010
Alaska
My daughter was 2 1/2 when she started with a kitty cat and then 3 1/2 when she started with a mini z. Now she is five and we just got the spring, gears, clutch, and chain in to speed it up. She still enjoys the sled but wants more speed for when we go out of the yard.

rmjj

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Brookings,SD
My boy started with me at age 1 and on his own 120 at 2 1/2. Great starter sled for learning the basics, has the ability to go slow to start. With in days you will be opening it up as they don't go to fast. At age 6 we got him a 340 as he was bored with the 120. Sometimes I wasn't sure if I was scared for him or proud of him. Make sure to dress them properly and quit when they want. You will be a proud father.

M
Oct 31, 2010
Bozeman MT
My son was 5 when he got his dragon 120. My wife thought our 3 yr old girl was too young but the same Christmas day she got on it , and controlled throttle,brake and steering like a pro! By the second year she got her own pink 120. Shortly after I installed governor bypass on both. They are 6 and 8 now and they start riding first snow, sometimes before going to school in the morning. We also tie on the plastic sleds and they tke turns pulling each other and the twins across the street. Must say having electric toy jeep first probably helped alot. Good luck

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
Get them started early! My son was 2 an lil girl was 4. She was slow and in control he was not!! I ran along side him with the tether in my hand so when he was outa control I could stop him. He started racing them 2yrs later and is going into his 3rd yr of racing the 120's. He has an almost stocker that will do around 18 mph and a full mod 120 that is in the 40's. I hope he is not bored with the stocker this yr. That's why I say start em early on the 120's. If they are aggressive at all they want more than the stock capabilities of the 120. Last yr my daughter was 7 and our first time out rode a very good running 120 for 5 minutes and was done with it. She rode the big sleds the rest of the yr. I love the 120's:). Good luck

L

lars53

Nov 11, 2008
Belgrade MT
My daughter got on her 120 just before turning 3 rigged sled with a remote kill, (which was never used) after the first season of riding in the hay feild turned her lose on her own and shes been doing fine. I never limited the throttle tho, seemed like there was always too much snow in the feild for a governed down 120. Just gotta keep them away from the fences!

Last edited:
C

chaddo

Dec 20, 2007
my son was a yr and 10 months riding his stock mini z very stressful for dad because he couldnt talk and helmet was almost to heavy for his head . did great. other son is 3 and i wont let him start till next yr. different types of boys

L
Apr 30, 2010
N/E AB
My oldest son was 19months and could go back and forth in a field between a freind and me. :canada: That being said he turned into a hockey player and now his younger brother kicks his azz! lol

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Pic from 3 weeks ago. He will turn 4 in April. Really need to find out what is done to ours as it was prepped to race when we picked it up. Looks to have the stock Robin motor in it, but is straight piped, modified intake, and runs like a banshee. Also need to figure out the clutching. I have 4 of them all 14T, but have no clue how they are set up. Currently geared 14/54 and this thing spanks a stocker out of the water. Not sure if anyone saw my 'Christmas Mini-Mayhem' thread, but that was his first ride on it lol. He has gained a lot more control now that I've spent a bit of time letting him practice in the big field. Excited to see how far he can progress.

IMG-20120114-00227.jpg

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Put my 3 year old (3 on 1/21/12) on his brother's 120 (who is 7 and on a 1997 Powder Special 580) and his first few minutes it was feeling it out then he mashed the throttle and headed for the untouched snow, remarkeably he only got stuck a few times, even tried climbing the small hill. Ran it till he was out of fuel.

His older brother is too big for the 120 and after trying fruitlessly to find a fair priced Phazer I got offered this 580 from a guy at work. Hadn't run in 5 years and needed a new primary. Fresh gas and a used primary and it ran. Wrapped about 200 layers of rubber tape under throttle to keep him from WOT and let him go. Leery of the big boy sled power he piddled around till he got the feel and then he was bugging me to peel some layers off. He even started climbing the hill and drag racing his Mom. So, well worth it to take a day off and share the passion with them. Neither one of them should be scared of dirtbikes this spring.

I also started the older one at 3. Motor skills are more advanced, I think.

Premium Features