• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WE WEIGH THE 17S: SKI-DOO SUMMIT X 850 VS. POLARIS 800 PRO-RMK 174 LE

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I don't buy the "foot print" argument however. Not as much of a factor on a spinning track as a person might believe.
And the track push comments in the first post are related to track length... compare the 3"-lug XP 174 to a 3"-lug 162 and see what those feel like in terms of "push"?

A 165 Doo Vs a 163 Polairs... more like it... especially since the do has 7 less rows of paddles, thus a weight advantage to start with in those two lengths, so a 163 3"-lug Poo Track... no weight advantage over the 165" track .

With less fuel and a shorter track on the G4.... that would account for at least a 16 lb difference... IMO.

Still, pretty close these days.

We'll see how it plays out in the hands of non-sponsored/non-media riders this season for production/consumer sleds. I have no doubt, with that 80mm stroke that the Doo will have the power advantage... but not sure about the comparison in the technical situations where a more compact engine with a 10mm shorter stroke and less recip mass will have less induced gyroscopic effect on the chassis.

I hope that mtnpull has some of these units to chime in on this thread after some riding.... He seems to have a realistic view of this kind of stuff

Either way... I still believe that the new Doo is the technological benchmark for innovation in mountain sleds.

Bring on the snow!!

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
There's quite a difference between 9.5 gallons and 7 gallons. if the skidoo only had 7 gallons i'd be very concerned. The Xm could never fit more than 9.5 gallons anyway. I have a pro and an Xm and the Xm uses less fuel. Not much but after a season of riding both in various conditions I'm not to worried. If the G4 uses fuel similar to the Xm it will be fine. On the super deep days it dosen't matter which sled you ride you'll still be out of fuel in 4-5 hours anyway. And on days that aren't deep you'd have to ride 100 miles to run out........

I ride with an XM, had to sit on his tunnel while fueling to get the tank full. He always ran out of fuel first because of the smaller tank and our consumption was always within a half gallon of each other, some days the pro used more some days the xm did.

Wanting to compare wet weights when one sled has a smaller fuel tank is disingenuous.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
What do think will happen when one machine never stops and gets pounded hard all day. Of coarse it will come back on empty.
Everyone wants to try out the new iron, does not matter the brand, so that one always is empty.

I ran my 2012 pro out of fuel a few times ( the year I owned it), while guys on other stuff had lots of gas left.

Fuel mileage is all about how hard you run the throttle. In deep pow you'd be lucky to get better that 2-3 mpg on any brand running wide open.

We were all on sleds. We swapped and kept riding so all sleds continued to be ridden wherever we went.

not to be a dick...

BUT do you think "everyone" rode the **** out of the new demo sled while the "old sleds" sat??

sigh

Not to be a dick, but you made assumptions on how we were riding.

I wasn't bashing the 850, but you guys are quick to come out in a pissing match. I was impressed with the sled's motor. I felt the chassis is a big improvement but still not on par with the Axys. It will have it in power though. I still don't like the brake bleed nipple so close to my feet.

rmking700

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2014
Utah
I don't buy the "foot print" argument however. Not as much of a factor on a spinning track as a person might believe.
And the track push comments in the first post are related to track length... compare the 3"-lug XP 174 to a 3"-lug 162 and see what those feel like in terms of "push"?

A 165 Doo Vs a 163 Polairs... more like it... especially since the do has 7 less rows of paddles, thus a weight advantage to start with in those two lengths, so a 163 3"-lug Poo Track... no weight advantage over the 165" track .

With less fuel and a shorter track on the G4.... that would account for at least a 16 lb difference... IMO.

Still, pretty close these days.

We'll see how it plays out in the hands of non-sponsored/non-media riders this season for production/consumer sleds. I have no doubt, with that 80mm stroke that the Doo will have the power advantage... but not sure about the comparison in the technical situations where a more compact engine with a 10mm shorter stroke and less recip mass will have less induced gyroscopic effect on the chassis.

I hope that mtnpull has some of these units to chime in on this thread after some riding.... He seems to have a realistic view of this kind of stuff

Either way... I still believe that the new Doo is the technological benchmark for innovation in mountain sleds.

Bring on the snow!!

We (uinta recreation/ mtnpull ) have 2 2017 850 sp sleds on order, they will be the shorter lug ( 2.5 I think ?) Track and I believe 154" length as well as 2 2017 polaris axys 800s pro package, 2.6 155" track to put some comparison on the two,

I can tell you as a polaris guy coming from my personal sled last year (12 pro rmk 16 w 36" front on raptor springs) I didn't feel as comfortable on the 16 axys 155 2.6 as I did our t3 163 sp rentals. I still think the doo steers a little weird for my liking but after a little time on both I was riding the t3 when given the chance ( I really liked the 163 and 3" over the 155 2.6, plus I found the ras 2 very welcoming switching from my 36" pro and felt I was fighting the axys. Can't wait to try the 850 this year I'm sure it will be better stock for stock than the xm which I preferred over the axys even when riding a buddies 15 Xm 154 non t3 I preferred it to the axys as well to give similar track point reviews. We will still be running the t3 xms this year as well if anyone cares to compare any.of.The tree on the snow we are taking reservations on them now and it's a relatively cheap way to try it before you buy it if you can't sneak your way on to a dealer demo.

So this post had nothing todo with dry or wet weight comparison but imo they are close enough that a good 10,20 pounds could be toyed with on both if wanted and there both going to be.neck and neck sleds. I think now days it's just rider preference and the big 2-3 are all pushing each other for a better product.

Ps I herd laxatives help for that weight loss at the end of the day!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I ride with an XM, had to sit on his tunnel while fueling to get the tank full. He always ran out of fuel first because of the smaller tank and our consumption was always within a half gallon of each other, some days the pro used more some days the xm did.

Wanting to compare wet weights when one sled has a smaller fuel tank is disingenuous.

Actually the truth is the tank on the new Summit rev is small than the xm however you never filled the xm tank up to full as the space was impossible to fill, even if you sat on the rear all day, yes more fuel went in if you burped it but you never filled the entire tank, ever, as it was impossible. So the XM and the Rev G4 carry the exact same amount of fuel, period, believe it or not but this is the real fact. The new tank has no empty zones and does not have to be burped due to the design, which is better.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Actually the truth is the tank on the new Summit rev is small than the xm however you never filled the xm tank up to full as the space was impossible to fill, even if you sat on the rear all day, yes more fuel went in if you burped it but you never filled the entire tank, ever, as it was impossible. So the XM and the Rev G4 carry the exact same amount of fuel, period, believe it or not but this is the real fact. The new tank has no empty zones and does not have to be burped due to the design, which is better.

I'll believe you. So both the xm and G4 don't carry enough fuel. This way skidoo gets to advertise a wet weight that sounds low AND sell an over priced Jerry can. Sound marketing.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I'll believe you. So both the xm and G4 don't carry enough fuel. This way skidoo gets to advertise a wet weight that sounds low AND sell an over priced Jerry can. Sound marketing.

I ride both Polaris and doo. I have never felt like the doo ran out of fuel any quicker. They are both out of fuel in 3-4 hours on a deep day anyway.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I ride both Polaris and doo. I have never felt like the doo ran out of fuel any quicker. They are both out of fuel in 3-4 hours on a deep day anyway.

3-4 HOURS??!!

Slow down, eat a sammich, and take in the sights ferchrisakes! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-win

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
In snomobiler's case, he does not tire because he never leaves the keyboard. Cyberbiling is much easier on you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No he didn't mean he was tired of riding, just that he gets tired from riding- big difference! To me if you're not tired at the end of a day riding you're Dooing it wrong lol, and probably doing more talking instead than riding.

Spend 6 hours on a Boosted Yamaha Nytro and I will talk to you about being TIRED OF RIDING.

I know the meaning of EXHAUSTED at the end of the day and ready for the Jacuzzi!!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
How much does a full hotdogger, with 3 burritos, weigh on the Doo versus the Poo? And how crispy and delicious are they after 3-4 hours of riding in the pow?

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
How much does a full hotdogger, with 3 burritos, weigh on the Doo versus the Poo? And how crispy and delicious are they after 3-4 hours of riding in the pow?

....its actually a negative gain, cause an hour after 3 burritos, you drop 5 lbs when you drop yer drawers!

Ace

Premium Features