• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel efficiency

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Bigger engine, more power, less fuel capacity but they will go the same distance??? Somehow I doubt that.

Yes, with the direct injection to the crank now and the booster injectors engaging then when cruising they do not. So yes the new engine will go 40% more distance on same oil, it is pretty incredible what the guys at rotax have done. This is not a pissing match between engines, you can make it that, i am only telling you the answer, and it is the answer, believe it or not, that is your choice. Happy Riding

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
It didn't actually help with what we should be expecting for mileage. Mr Con is claiming less than 2mpg......
I'll find more info, but using the smaller injectors means they can control the fuel way better.. 2 mpg That much fuel would make one hell of a lot of smoke not to mention plugs would foul out? Something does not add up! Was the engine light on? Did the sled have a fuel leak? I have never seen a Polaris use less fuel than a Ski-Doo since the E-tec!!

R
Feb 29, 2016
Yes, with the direct injection to the crank now and the booster injectors engaging then when cruising they do not. So yes the new engine will go 40% more distance on same oil, it is pretty incredible what the guys at rotax have done. This is not a pissing match between engines, you can make it that, i am only telling you the answer, and it is the answer, believe it or not, that is your choice. Happy Riding

Fuel economy not oil consumption was the original question. So your claim is fuel economy is improved as well with more power? Or is it like Doo has always claimed the best trail mileage but consumption goes up beyond the rest when ridden hard?

That clown was the one trying to make it a pissing match between engines. He was the one who repeatedly brought up Polaris not me, insecure I guess.

It should be a bit of a concern since in our group the Doo's HAVE to burp during fill up or they wont make it out on out longer 50-60 mile days. So is the 850 more fuel efficient under full load? It better be or lots of guys will have to start packing extra gas.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The worst i have ever seen was 3.5mpg and that was on an 06 rev with the DPM hose off the carb.
Have seen 4-4.5 on skidoo xp and polaris pro, i average 5-5.5 on my cats. But 2mpg sound ridiculous. Something was definitely wrong with that sled.

GS6

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
not something to worry about.if your hotrod 850 gets low on gas,just siphon some out of your buds sled.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Fuel economy not oil consumption was the original question. So your claim is fuel economy is improved as well with more power? Or is it like Doo has always claimed the best trail mileage but consumption goes up beyond the rest when ridden hard?

That clown was the one trying to make it a pissing match between engines. He was the one who repeatedly brought up Polaris not me, insecure I guess.

It should be a bit of a concern since in our group the Doo's HAVE to burp during fill up or they wont make it out on out longer 50-60 mile days. So is the 850 more fuel efficient under full load? It better be or lots of guys will have to start packing extra gas.

Originally Posted by KingCon View Post
Rode the new 850 in over 40" of fresh snow a week ago. IT GUZZLES GAS!!! When I was on a sidehill riding, it ran out of gas with 17.3 miles on it. We had already used the main tank and a spare 3 gallon. Had to wait for someone else to come by and use their 3 gallons. I worry about the fuel economy. I know without a doubt that the Ski Doo's ALWAYS run out way before the Polaris'. This is 100% the truth!! Makes me wonder why they came out with a new 4 gallon can that also stacks. I own Evinrude ETecs that are amazing on both gas and oil, much more impressive economy than what I see through BRP on the sleds. When a 200 hp Evinrude uses a little over a gallon a year boating regularly vs a sled that uses a 1/4 gallon every ride out? Makes me wonder if Doo is actually getting the same technology that is going into BRP's Evinrudes.

So let me get this straight....your telling me you used12.5 gal of fuel in 17miles?

Seriously you guys make these forums such a waste of time, put down your awesomeness for a moment and listen to the answer. I pack gas since we ride these out of gas every ride, that is not saying I am awesome it means I ride a lot, 7500 km this season already and 2000km on the new Summit. I have a test sled with 9000km and the clutch has never been serviced and runs as good as the sled we broke in on baker and in wyoming last week. I cant believe what some of you claim, are you really measuring fuel and oil on your first test ride of the new sled, how accurate to you really think you are? The 2017 Summit Rev with G4 platform will get the same milage as the 2016 Summit T3. Both sleds will use less gas and oil on the trail and more off trail, and definately more in the deep powder. Maybe even more if you are so wickedly awesome that everyone stops to watch your such wickedly awesome sickter radical riding maneuvers, well and then you might run out faster. When I drive my ferrari I am so out of fuel before you guys! I AM SOOO AWESOME!!! Guess you guys don't drive as awesome as ME!!See how dumb it sounds! Did I land on the 9 year old kids slowest site or the adult one. Off you ride, you guys fight it out amongst your selves, well you argue I will be burning!:face-icon-small-hap PS you dont need to burp the tank, it fills right up. and it empties for those guys who get home after a ride and tip your sled upside down to see how much fuel is left, just so you don't have to do this now.

Last edited:
H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Norona- It's why I prefer DooTalk over SnoWest. The dialogue is much more civil (and possibly more intelligent) over there and the mods keep a tighter rein on things. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that- it might attract the trolls to DT....

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
bet they have these same topics on smart car forums...
my car gets 60 MPG.so your a clown my car gets 61.LOL

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
doo has really up'd the sport with the release of the g4, and obviously it has rubbed some guys the wrong way and are not happy and need something to moan about..looking forward to the g4 showing up the naysayers next winter

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Rode the new 850 in over 40" of fresh snow a week ago. IT GUZZLES GAS!!! When I was on a sidehill riding, it ran out of gas with 17.3 miles on it. We had already used the main tank and a spare 3 gallon. Had to wait for someone else to come by and use their 3 gallons. I worry about the fuel economy. I know without a doubt that the Ski Doo's ALWAYS run out way before the Polaris'. This is 100% the truth!! Makes me wonder why they came out with a new 4 gallon can that also stacks. I own Evinrude ETecs that are amazing on both gas and oil, much more impressive economy than what I see through BRP on the sleds. When a 200 hp Evinrude uses a little over a gallon a year boating regularly vs a sled that uses a 1/4 gallon every ride out? Makes me wonder if Doo is actually getting the same technology that is going into BRP's Evinrudes.

You're an idiot.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
NORONA, YOU ARE SO AWESOME.... at avoiding answering the simple question posed...

Not everybody is as awesome as you and needs to pack gas every ride. We never pack gas but have come close a couple of times and run the Doo out once while the others still had fuel.

Oh forget it... you aren't going to give the answer we are looking for anyway. 2000km and you would think you could give a fuel economy opinion vs the old model... Guess you are too busy being awesome to be helpful.

I think he answered the question a few times already, it will go the same distance as the XM will was the reply. If that doesn't satisfy you then don't buy a G4 I guess.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Now we are debating fuel mileage wow. The xm t3 gets the craziest best fuel mileage of any sled ive ever seen. You guys can't even agree on how much fuel the t3 holds Lmao. Everytime I ride with Polaris they are worried about gas. I really don't get how you can debate how much fuel a sled holds its not a opinion it is what it is. Some guys in this thread are so full of crap they r just Polaris brand lovers that are all pissed off cuz poor Poo Poo didn't come out with anything new this year and they were already below the bar since the t3 came out.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
Now we are debating fuel mileage wow. The xm t3 gets the craziest best fuel mileage of any sled ive ever seen. You guys can't even agree on how much fuel the t3 holds Lmao. Everytime I ride with Polaris they are worried about gas. I really don't get how you can debate how much fuel a sled holds its not a opinion it is what it is. Some guys in this thread are so full of crap they r just Polaris brand lovers that are all pissed off cuz poor Poo Poo didn't come out with anything new this year and they were already below the bar since the t3 came out.

Nothing new for Poo?! What are you talking about bro, they have the new and original 174" track, it's never before been on a "from the factory" sled............HAHAHAHA.:face-icon-small-win

I had to, I just recall the non Doo folks freaking out about the Doo had to go 174" to compete and all that crap. Oh, and the T motion gimmick than numerous aftermarket suspension companies ended up using. I kinda enjoy the girly fights on here. I'm still confused at the 17miles on a tank +4 gal spare tank claim......

Last edited:

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Nothing new for Poo?! What are you talking about bro, they have the new and original 174" track, it's never before been on a "from the factory" sled............HAHAHAHA.:face-icon-small-win

I had to, I just recall the non Doo folks freaking out about the Doo had to go 174" to compete and all that crap. Oh, and the T motion gimmick than numerous aftermarket suspension companies ended up using. I kinda enjoy the girly fights on here. I'm still confused at the 17miles on a tank +4 gal spare tank claim......

Yeah I know the 174 track but nothin new like Doo did I meant mostly. That fuel mileage thing is way bullcrap, these sleds have been all
Over Revy and it takes a lot of fuel to ride Revy. You couldn't even ride Revy if that were true Lol

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
the 850 is a game changer

centralized motor and even weight distribution
maintenance free primary clutch
engine that will outlast any 2 stroke on the market

not sure why some do not think this is a big deal, it forces others to step it up a notch

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
ENOUGH!

I just spent the last half hour cleaning up this mess that sounds like a bunch of 6 year old kids fighting about who's popsicle has more colours.

If you guys can't come up with helpful information then go bicker and squabble somewhere else on the internet.

There are some guys that post SUPER USEFUL and HELPFUL information, videos, and pics on this site that will be less inclined to do so if some of you can't grow up and behave like adults.

Rant over. I'm going riding.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
ENOUGH!

I just spent the last half hour cleaning up this mess that sounds like a bunch of 6 year old kids fighting about who's popsicle has more colours.

If you guys can't come up with helpful information then go bicker and squabble somewhere else on the internet.

There are some guys that post SUPER USEFUL and HELPFUL information, videos, and pics on this site that will be less inclined to do so if some of you can't grow up and behave like adults.

Rant over. I'm going riding.
But dad....

trees happen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Anywhere there's snow
Think it's probably one hell of a monster but you really can't compare it to the 800' it's not its a factory big bore. The chassis seems like an improvement but it still has that angled steering post that I really don't like the feel of. Also still a bit bulky. Now that centred motor in an axys chassis and I'll order one. I'm not brand loyal grew up on yamaha switched to cat when the M came out then a 14 pro. So I'm gonna stick with poo for now until someone builds a better chassis! Now this is only my opinion but damn that G4 is fugly!

Premium Features