• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Summit X 154 PROS & CONS

B

bboll

Mar 28, 2012
I'm a long time Polaris guy that is looking at a Ski-Doo.

Please sare your opinions of a 2012 Summit 800 etec. This isn't a polars vs skidoo post. Just a no BS assesment of the sled.

S

stanredrider

Dec 9, 2007
Been a long time Arctic Cat guy but picked up a new 2012 800 SP last year in Jan after losing the motor on my King Cat. Had the best feel of power to me of a stock sled and after removing the sway bars got it to handle the way I like it. So far I like it, very light and can tell that at the end of the day compared to the King. Just hard to beat the hp of a 975 King though.

B

bboll

Mar 28, 2012
Been a long time Arctic Cat guy but picked up a new 2012 800 SP last year in Jan after losing the motor on my King Cat. Had the best feel of power to me of a stock sled and after removing the sway bars got it to handle the way I like it. So far I like it, very light and can tell that at the end of the day compared to the King. Just hard to beat the hp of a 975 King though.

I've only rodeone XP, it was a carb model. The owner also removed the sway bars, I wasn't used to it. Do most guys on XPs remove the sway bars? Is this the only way to get them to sidehill decent?

S

stanredrider

Dec 9, 2007
It mainly depends what you are used, I like my front shocks loose so I can tip it right over. Just what Im used to on the King Cat, not much fun on a trail but that's pretty minor for me. Will say that Im still laying the Ski Doo over too far when I try turning hard, used to a sled that weighed 150+ pounds more. Im still used to pulling that beast onto its side.

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
after riding an 01 800 156 for 11 years it was quite an improvement to own and ride a 2012.

it will take me places I may not want to go:face-icon-small-win it has amazing power and does tip over easily. I tried the sway bars attached and detached. for out west, it was obvious to leave them detached.

I will say that since you are up higher, the trail riding is not as stable, but a small price to pay for what this sled will do in the powder.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I've pretty much had the same feeling as you guys, I have the sway bar attached and the front shocks set soft I did install the T motion and I feel it makes a BIG differance in the sled. It has excellant power stock, plenty for me.
It's kind of a hand full on the trail, real light in the front.

W

westhawk39

Dec 7, 2011
Whiteshell MB
I rode polaris switchback assaults the last 2 seasons and bought a 2012 summit x this season when I moved out west. Picked it mainly for reliability. Money was tight and didnt want to buy a polaris and have to do a motor right away... Also wanted to try something different and all the guys I ride with here have the same sled so figured it was a safe bet.

Sled has been great so far. Have ridded 4-500 miles this season. 10 or 12 afternoons of riding. Really good on fuel and oil. This has the S36 handling package but is not as tippy as I would like. It feels similar to my 08 renegade, engineered to ride flat but is willing to tip when theres lots of snow. Most days this year has been fine as we usually only ride when it dumps so I haven't had any problems manoeuvreing it. Last ride the snow was windblown and firm and at one point we had to side hill for a mile or so to get down the back of this mountain. Couldnt get the sled to roll over for the life of me, and I'm 175 pounds and fairly good rider. It just doesnt want to sidehill unless theres 8-10 or more inches of soft snow. Compare it to a polaris chasis where you can roll it over in 4 inches of snow on a lake with a little effort. Also when on a sidehill this sled constantly wants to turn uphill, I have tried moving my weight further foreword with no luck.

I highly recommend the sled as it has been extremely reliable, tonnes of power, just add gas and go. However if your doing more riding in tighter trees where you actually have to get places I think the polaris is a little easier to throw around. I have only ever ridden polaris back home in the prairies and this summit out west so its a tough comparison but I might get an RMK next year to compare.

Premium Features