• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt drives

Nov 12, 2009
Camrose, AB
So who's got one installed on there machine and is it worth the cost? Does the sled make more track speed? Have been on the fence about this for a while, just not a lot of reviews from people. Real world advice please not theoretical.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Polaris did it for production sleds...
CMX did it 15 years ago...
TKI worked with the same guy who helped CMX...

obviously not a "game changer"....but for $795 its a good mod IMHO...BJ

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
TKI is a slick looking setup for sure and not a bad price. Haven't put any miles on one, but a few guys that I've talked to said they work awesome. If anything I think less rotating mass is worth the investment.

Go4Broke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2008
Gillette Wy
Put the TKI set up on my sled works amazing would definitely recommend it trake speed is big improvement and it seems to have better snap at any range tom is great to deal with and has great customer service

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Put the TKI set up on my sled works amazing would definitely recommend it trake speed is big improvement and it seems to have better snap at any range tom is great to deal with and has great customer service

With these drive belt system how much are you guy's gearing up?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
With these drive belt system how much are you guy's gearing up?

I guess to answer your question, I as a lonely "parts changer" would need more info....

sled?
elevation?
motor?
track?
rider weight?
mods?
riding style?

I have a funny story about a guy who is blaming the "belt drive" for the "engines" lack of performance...serious, I cant make this stuff up...LOL...BJ :face-icon-small-ton

Nov 12, 2009
Camrose, AB

Did you stay with stock gearing (2.52) or did you gear it down (ex. 2.42?). Also there cover looks wider than stock? I am thinking they use a wider belt than c3 for durability.

Tki is what I am leaning towards just for the tensioner system over c3 as well the price.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
I guess to answer your question, I as a lonely "parts changer" would need more info....

sled?
elevation?
motor?
track?
rider weight?
mods?
riding style?

I have a funny story about a guy who is blaming the "belt drive" for the "engines" lack of performance...serious, I cant make this stuff up...LOL...BJ :face-icon-small-ton
Well I have a buddy with a 2010 summit 163 and he took it off because he claims he lost performance so?That's why I ask no BS just strait up question .

Go4Broke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2008
Gillette Wy

sled?
elevation?
motor?
track?
rider weight?
mods?
riding style?

sled is a 14 xm with 163 slp pip and y pipe hps can I ride a lot in the trees comparing it to my wifes 13 xm 154 stock and a buddies 13 xm 163 with slp pipe and y pipe the 14 with belt drive runs harder I ride from 8000 to 1000 elivatin

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
All those chain case belts on the Poo's have not proven to be faster or better IMO. When it comes to the chain case all I'm concerned about is tolerance and longevity and clearly a chain beats a rubber belt hands down.

DPG

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Belt drives are great. Running C3 but a buddy just ordered TKI. Both nice units and the price point of TKI makes it great mod and worth the money IMO.

As far as the lost performance, I think what may be happening w/ the sled mentioned is the rev limiter being hit. Can't really see how there could be any other issue for lost performance. The belt drives gain rpm and track speed faster giving a better low and mid punch. Top really isn't that much different. I would bet if the clutching was messed to slow the RPM down a little initially, the owner be very happy.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I have a TKI on a stock motored 14 154 SP. I'm geared at 2.42. I did a RB clutch kit at the same time, so difficult to tell which made the difference. Machine is significantly more responsive, Belt drive is a tiny bit smoother than the chain, but I wouldn't let it sway me to purchasing one. Improvements? Hard to say, but everything is working pretty well right now. The TKI unit is a very nicely built piece and went together very well. Had to do a bit of rework to get a battery in for elec start, but it all fits. Can't recall total weight savings, but I did scale and it's around the 7lbs mark comparing chaincase to belt drive.

This wouldn't be the first mod I would do.

20140105_143013.jpg 20140102_212702.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
When talking a 12 Pro (Chain Driven) compared to a 13 Pro (Belt Driven) there IMO are no real performance gains, definitely not $800+ gains (what it would cost to put a belt drive on a doo). I would not do an aftermarket one, but I would hope for factory ones in the future. I think they are the way of the future- they are lighter, as reliable as a chain case (or should be anyways, just not in poos case), cheaper than if you break a chain and destroy your case, they are easy to replace- it can easily be done on the hill, and its one less fluid to worry about.

Nov 12, 2009
Camrose, AB
7lbs lost is significant enough and the efficiency I increase as well is worth the 800.

Standard rate for weight loss on sleds is $100/lbs, so really your getting a double bang for the buck.

To me it is less rotating weight so from idle to peak, it should be more responsive. Seems like some mixed reviews about top end increase or not

M

madsigntist

Dec 19, 2007
Lehi, UT
www.summitsigns.biz
Actual weight loss is 4 lbs even. But that's not counting rotating mass. I have 225 miles on mine and love it for reasons stated above. Went @ 2.42 ratio. It rips. Would recommend to any one.
And Tom is a great guy to deal with too.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Actual weight loss is 4 lbs even. But that's not counting rotating mass. I have 225 miles on mine and love it for reasons stated above. Went @ 2.42 ratio. It rips. Would recommend to any one.
And Tom is a great guy to deal with too.

I went back through my notes and I was out to lunch on the weight. Completely out to lunch....I'm a big fibber....here's what I came up with...

The remainder of parts such as the bolts, spacer, 500ml of fluid (didn't have a full chaincase bottle so used equivalent) came out to 1lbs 4 oz.

Total stock chaincase weight with the 19/49 gear combo is

7lbs 14 oz + 1lbs 4 oz = 9lbs 2 oz.

Belt drive weight was 6lbs 14 oz

Total weight savings of 2lbs 4 oz. Not sure if a guy would be able to feel this in the driveline considering all pulleys are very close to their inertial centerline. We'll see...might be tough to tell since gearing was changed at the same time.

More info here in my build log on another site...
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/691378-rks-2014-154-sp-build-log/page-5

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN

You heard that same story? I wonder if we heard it from the same guy. Talk about silly.

A
Dec 19, 2011
belt drives are cool but over rated IMO its a big price for a small gain. Money better spend elsewhere. Id have to have alot of money to burn to think of a belt drive as a needed mod.

Premium Features