• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Major Problems with new G 4

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Independent of the brand -

Missing Rivet = Weight Reduction !! Hard to complain abt that :face-icon-small-hap

*** yes, make sure there are rivets where they are truly needed. But one less in the flap is a bonus in my mind.

B
Feb 18, 2009
Let's be clear. In all of this I'm not counting instances where the whole front end is just smashed because nothing will withstand a head on type collision. I'm talking stumps under the snow, rocks, ski hits and what happens to the sleds after that.

Well I personally had an experience with an XM s-mod and it was only a $230 part. A Poo forged a-arm is $200. So I'm not in for too much of a surprise on the G4. The s-mod for the G4 is only $350 not $1000 considering most instances I've seen haven't taken out all three items.

Obviously I'd rather just have to deal with the a-arm but not if it takes out the shock. If the e-mod is broke too yes, this is a different story, it becomes more expensive. So both cases could be worse. If we are talking JUST S-mod and A-arms the shock is more vulnerable on the Poo than Ski-doo. I have not seen many s-mods, shocks, and arms get bent from ski hits on Doos. However I've seen Poo a-arms and Doo s-mods bust from ski hits. None of them have been small ski hits. But ski hits nonetheless

I personally believe with how easy the G4 is to ride I could care less whether I might bust the G4. Strap in cause just like the 2011-2016 Doos got better, these will too.

My mistake on the s-mod cost, i had previously looked up some pricing and must of calculated the cost for both the s-mod and e-mod as in the case I was looking at both were damaged. The concerning thing for me is that the s-mod is cracking way to easy and in many cases people don't even know until the sled is back in a heated garage. A cracked s-mod presents a serious danger to the rider cause now it can effectively fall apart under hard use.

I don't think they need to do a full redesign or anything but they need to beef it up...

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
I have seen busted G4 s-mods and have heard about more. I don't trust what I hear cause seeing is believing so I'd like to see more before I say it is a problem. If it is a problem Doo knows how many sleds they sold and how many bulkheads they're selling now. So I'd say leave it to them to figure out if it is a problem.

So yes, if it is determined by Doo that a problem exists, hopefully they address it. I don't feel I/we truly have reliable data to draw conclusions. My personal data is that the G4 absolutely rips. More traction, more responsiveness, and easiest to ride sled I've ever touched. So as of now that is what I will go off. If you've busted an s-mod I'd say you have every right to go off that data. Just be honest about what happened.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Pinecone

This sounds like the Pinecone thread from when Revs first came out. You hit a pinecone and your Rev was junk. It seems like theres people in this thread talking about not having Polaris Bulkhead issues or to use junk arms so you don't have bulkhead issues. I just watched a guy roll his brand new Polaris off the ramp coming off the sled deck in the parking and his day was done. Shattered the inner steering link and shaft. The parts that break on a Polaris before it even gets to the bulkhead are so chincy it's crazy to me and we don't even need to talk about the flimsy tunnels they have but here's a pic of a broken Polaris Bulkhead It's not like these are made even close to strong it's just everything breaks before it gets to that usually. As far as 850s someone post some pics of where they are breaking at, Chadleys sled has been upside down so many times this year I've had time to notice the bulkheads are Cast so I can see having Casting flaws in that type of Cast.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
The people complaining about broken bulkheads are guys that don't even own an 850 or have had no problems at all. Then they complain about the value of the 850 being hurt by this "catastrophic issue". An issue that is isolated and minimal until all the forum gossip starts and all these chicken little's start crying about how the sky is falling.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Does the skidoo plate change the handling any vs a non skid plate 850? Got one with a skidoo plate and my wife's doesn't. Really want to take it off. I guess I will know tomorrow.
Out of the 65 my dealer sold only one bulkhead got broke. One of his shop guys hitting a big Rock. Said he also wrecked an a arm with it.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
The people complaining about broken bulkheads are guys that don't even own an 850 or have had no problems at all. Then they complain about the value of the 850 being hurt by this "catastrophic issue". An issue that is isolated and minimal until all the forum gossip starts and all these chicken little's start crying about how the sky is falling.

I agree. I've heard more crying about this from people who don't own one. On the other hand, I hope doo will make the bulkhead stronger.

C
Feb 8, 2014
My insurance claim is 1100 cad in parts s mod Emod and a spindle plus 18hrs of labor to change so it's looking 3-4g all said and done just to clear up some of the cost arguments :juggle:

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
For those that say Polaris arms will collapse and save the bulkhead....I had a customer come in today with a Pol Pro. Took a rock directly to the spindle while carving. The cast piece on the right side of the bulkhead is shattered and drive shaft is moved back almost an inch, the tunnel is crumpled and the front suspension A-arms are perfect. All stock parts. Maybe as with all things it's just the way you hit them.

Premium Features