• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calling all Iowa riders

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I got a message from Mike Duffy yesterday wanting to know who in the midwest may be interested in a Avalanche training meeting. I do not know all the details yet, other then he is coming to the midwest sometime in Feb, probably the 11th thru 15th and is willing to do some meetings. He wants 25 or more people and I believe he said the cost is $45 per person.

What I am wanting to find out is how many people from Iowa, in particular central Iowa, or willing to drive to central Iowa would be interested. Can you please put your name and number here, or pm me with it. If I get more details I will post it here, and contact the interested people.

Mainly wanting to know if there is enough interest in getting him here.

Thanks

kirk

Hawkeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Toledo, Iowa
I'm sure I could get between 5 & 10 from the Toledo, Traer, Waterloo area, depending on the nite. How about all your Garwin buddies ? Maybe they left for the snowies early? Do you guys have beacons yet? Kirk, call me 751-0788 Loren (alias never yammi)

PS how about you guys from Sully?

I got a message from Mike Duffy yesterday wanting to know who in the midwest may be interested in a Avalanche training meeting. I do not know all the details yet, other then he is coming to the midwest sometime in Feb, probably the 11th thru 15th and is willing to do some meetings. He wants 25 or more people and I believe he said the cost is $45 per person.

What I am wanting to find out is how many people from Iowa, in particular central Iowa, or willing to drive to central Iowa would be interested. Can you please put your name and number here, or pm me with it. If I get more details I will post it here, and contact the interested people.

Thanks

kirk

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Loren, for now just pass the word and try to get a feel for who is serious. I am going to call Steve at the Lynnville bank and see if he has anyone down there that may be interested. Are any of those guys on this board that you know of.

No couldn't get this bunch to see the value in beacons yet, hopefully we will never find out the hard way. Maybe if this meeting comes together if will get the point across.

When I get some more details I will give you a call

Kirk

messickzr

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Iowa
Night or daytime? I would love to be able to attend. Possibly bring 1 other person with me. I live in NW Iowa, near Spencer.

Matt Essick

T

TG230

Jan 12, 2008
Anamosa Iowa
See What I Can Do!

Thanks

kirk

Sounds like something that would be well worth the time. I will check with some of my friends and see if they would be interested. Iwish the were having it before we head out to the snowies. Im sure some of the bboys would probably be up for it.
Did you guys get some beacons bought? My self and the other guys who are going out to the snowies practiced today with ours. They were pretty simple and straight forward.I hope that this was the only time we will need them.
Wellthat is about all I know for now .I hope you guys have a safe trip out west.
sincerley
Pat

Hawkeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Toledo, Iowa
What brand and model of beacons did you decide on, also where did you buy them? Thanks Loren

Sounds like something that would be well worth the time. I will check with some of my friends and see if they would be interested. Iwish the were having it before we head out to the snowies. Im sure some of the bboys would probably be up for it.
Did you guys get some beacons bought? My self and the other guys who are going out to the snowies practiced today with ours. They were pretty simple and straight forward.I hope that this was the only time we will need them.
Wellthat is about all I know for now .I hope you guys have a safe trip out west.
sincerley
Pat

Hawkeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Toledo, Iowa
If I knew when & where I might get 4-8 people to come in the evening.

We need a poll to see where and what nite would work for the most people, to give these guys some ideas

I vote D.M., Ames, or Marshalltown area and nite doesn't matter, with plenty of notice

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I did not hear from Mike yet, I will call him tomorrow. I was also thinking Ames as he would be coming from the twin cities the way it sounded. If I can get more info I will post it here tomorrow. Sounds like there is quite a bit of interest, which was the main thing I needed to know. Are there any of you guys near Ames who work with Ames Powersports? Maybe they would provide a place to have the meeting. If someone has some pull there let me know. I did not buy my sled there, so would not feel right asking. A hotel would probably work also.

I will try to keep everyone posted.

Kirk

J
Nov 26, 2007
Wow, This is long overdue I hope we can make this happen i tried to get in on mikes classes when he was in minn. but they were full. there is probably a bunch from Desmoines area that would go. call me 5152084772 to let me know 11th or 12th would work great. thanks chad

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I see that some people are headin from the spencer area? maybe hold it in Ft Dodge....There maybe be a few people around humboldt that I know of that may show up. I wont be back in town till the 14th and i roll out to the snowies the 15th or else I'd pop my head in

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Looks like there is plenty of interest for a class. I'll be out in the backcountry for two days and will return emails Thursday night. Here are the details on the class:
Four Hour Avalanche Classes
Specifically for snowmobilers

Classes are effective, proven to save lives and affordable.

Learn: How to avoid the most common mistakes, what equipment works best, how to rescue effectively, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, analyze stability and increase your skills in the mountains.

Cost $45 Must sign up in advance

Take the class with those you ride with.

Time: 6pm-10pm
To sign up: Email Mike Duffy: duffyww1@aol.com or call 970-390-9433

Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue class.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years.
Course content:
-Introduction to Avalanches, statistics, contributing factors.
-Avalanche reports
-Signs of instability.
-Equipment
-What to carry and what works best.
-Avalanche beacons.
-Fast and effective single and multiple burial searches.
-Rescue
-Avalanche survival methods
-Hasty search
-mistakes in rescue
-Group Dynamics
-Terrain Evaluation/terrain traps
-Preparing for your trip
-Stability Analysis
-Scenarios

Premium Features