• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CRANK'N my 06 900

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C
Jan 10, 2008
Dawson Creek B.C.
I need some suggestions on a crank for my 06 900
I read on here that indydan makes a billet.
How can I get ahold of him,and get pricing?
Please PM with any suggestions or info.
THANKS
"CLARENCE"

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I just got my sled back after having this done a few days ago.

I had a shop do the work for me however ... they shipped Dan my bottom end and he did the case work and installed the crank and sent it back .

I went with the 33 mm PTO end ... I don't have any pictures of the bottom end install as I didn't do the work myself...

I've only barley had the sled out for about an hour thus far due to a faulty TPS sensor, but the little riding on it I did was promising....It was an awful lot smoother than before and seemed to come on the power band better.

I still have some work to do with the clutching but overall the results were pretty good I'd say. I'll know more once I get the TPS fixed and can actually go flog the thing in some powder and see how it does ...

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
thats a real good price seeing how a new one is $944 bucks!, i jus thad one installed last week, poo paid for mine tho... otherwise i would have had this done

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I didn't think that was a bad price either... I'd go for bigger 33mm end with an 08 33mm Dragon primary or an Arctic Cat 33mm primary.

This guy on ebay always seems to have great deals on the Cat Primarys. 1-920-788-0220

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-ARCTIC-CAT-SNOWMOBILE-DRIVE-CLUTCH-33MM_W0QQitemZ120119843018QQihZ002QQcategoryZ100453QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Indy Dans complete full-circle billet cranks are $1995 exchange and are supposed to really smooth out the vibes in the engine, his machine work is beautiful. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/polaris-900-crankshaft-new-Custom-Built-all-Billet_W0QQitemZ320199173718QQihZ011QQcategoryZ100456QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

fa11_1.JPG

fba3_1.JPG

Pics of Stock 900 Cranks

Stock900crank.jpg

stock900crankapart.jpg

Last edited:

zimms

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Can you use the same clutch puller, weights and tool to check clutch alignment with the arctic cat clutch? thanks

zimms

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Ok that makes sense. Can you still use the stock belt with the new clutch? thanks

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok that makes sense. Can you still use the stock belt with the new clutch? thanks

So far I have been. I haven't checked any clearences on it yet however.

I'll do that sooner or later...."stock" meanin the 1080 belt not the 31115 belt.

zimms

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Thanks, I was at Dans shop yesterday talking with him about the billet crank, he was showing me some of the stock parts and billet parts pretty impressive. As always I think of these questions after I leave. Thanks

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Answering a few questions.

Ok, first of all hello Aaron. glad to hear you got your sled out alittle.

Things have changed alot sense I posted last year about the 900 cranks.

With the problems the 800 cranks have had, I have traced alot of the same problems to the 900.

Let me say before I go on that Aarons accually one of the first TorqueMaster set-ups and his price does not reflect what was all done to his case.

Questions that must be asked before we go on.

Why do some 900 motors go 4000 plus miles with no problems????

Why do some 900 motors make it 2000 miles and then fail ???

Why do some 900 motors go only hundreds of miles and then break the PTO - end.

I have had quite a few of these apart lately and have checked them out extensively.

There are two main reasons for the wide range of PTO - end & rod failures.

Number one, - the case fit to the bearings is all over the place from way to tight, To way to loose.

Now that being said, if the cases are to loose what happens is over a short period of time - The PTO end goes out of tru and once it gets past the point of no return the shaking of the drive clutch tears the PTO- end off. this is a progression form lets say .002 - then .003 - then .0045 - then .007 - then .009 - then .013 - them - .016 ( Mental Picture ) as the crank starts to get worse it becomes its own worst enemy and as it gets worse it gets worse faster ( some people can feels this happening ) and performance also drops off at a somewhat relative rate.

Number Two, - the case fit is to tight and everything seems great on the sled and it runs perfect and then out of the blue it just locks the motor for a nano second and the drive clutch weight shears the PTO - end right off ( most of the time the crank frees back up before you even check the recoil rope and give it a tug. ) a few have said the motor was tight but then in a few minutes felt normal and started fit up.

Ok, all this being said there are lots of factors that enter in to improve on these findings............Or make them happen faster.

A - sled storage I.E. Where its parked ( heated garage ) ( or sitting outside )
B - Warm-up time ( HUGE Difference ) depending on how your crankcase fit is.

If you have a very loose fit case and your sled is sitting out over night and the crank is let say ZERO degrees and you start your sled and let it idle 10 to 15 minutes and take off...................

The crankcase is alumimun and it now has warm water in the front of the case and its starting to grow a few thousands and the crank is still frozen and there is NO case interferance fit and the crank is floating in the case only to be held in place by the factory lock ring groove " on the Inner bearing next to the water/oil pumpshaft.

Now when you hit the throttle and the drive clutch slams against the belt and all that torque from the 80mm stroke 900 pulls on...............

THE PTO ROD PIN - Because the case has let loose on the two stock PTO bearings and this can only go on for so long ( the only reason ) they last as long as they do is because the 900 has a HUGE rod pin and gives great supporrt ( Unlike the 800 ) the reason the 700 Domstics last so long is because the 700 rod pin is much bigger then the 800's. and the 900 is monsterous.

That all being said.................. The birth of the TorqueMaster 900, I am offering this in 3 different versions.

#1 - Stock Crank
#2 - Stock Crank center and Billet MAG & PTO - ENDS 30mm or 33mm
#3 - All Billet 33mm PTO - END

These will all have the Triple PTO Bearing Kit.

Now, there are lots of reasons I went to three bearings.

A - It divides the load applied to two bearings 33% ( Obvious )
B - The PTO Picks up a new spot in the case and adds 33% more area of support. ( VITAL ) to the used case coming thru that have prior damage.
C - Bearing temp goes down and so does bearing swelling caused by the transfer of energy to the belt pull. ( Especialy Important on the RMK's )

Of course, my next statement is an educated guess ( Only time will tell )

I believe that the 900 Motor with its Monster Rod pins and the Lock ring groove moved from inside the crank centers to the outside inner PTO bearing, and the proper case fit that the crank will be almost indestuctable. ( some people can break an anvil ).

The key to all of this............. Is doing it before your crankcase is woren to a point where we can't fit it properly to the bearings.

The make or break factor to this is............

#1 - if your case has enough OEM fit to work with
#2 - if you have not drove it to long with a bent crank.
#3 - Blowen a belt at close to full throttle ( This is the death of the case )

As for the Prices quoted for the PTO-end only ( VOID ) due to the fact that My Billet end cannot be used with out changing the MAG -end also. There is no way to get it to balance. ( Note ) That even with the added weight of the Billet MAG & PTO - ENDS weight needed to be added to get to 60% of what you would call perfect balance of the 80mm crank ( there is not perfect balance to a crank ) I do not want to talk about balance, It is far to complex.

You can use the stock belt with the Cat drive clutch, It uses a 900 Cat Bolt & a Cat Puller. Drive clutch belt clearance MUST be checked after you have installed your clutch weights of choice. ( they MUST be cat weights or a Cat weight engineered copy ) NOT a Polaris weight

Weights effect clutch shimming, get ONE brand of weight and STAY with it do NOT jump around unless you COMPLETELY understand how much sh!t you can screw up running the wrong style weight in your drive clutch and how much it can effect belt shimming.

As for prices on all the options please don't ask, when I get time they will all be on my ebay store listing.

Do yourselves a favor, ask around about our TorqueMaster 800 Bottom-Ends, I have sold alot of them and the feedback on them has all been the same ( The smoothest best their 800's have ever ran. )

Thanks

Dan.

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Warm-up

I can't stress enough the importance of the proper warm-up.

I couple of guys I sold TorqueMaster 800's called me about break-in........

My Answer was Drain the oil tank of all the POlaris Gold VES oil and never run it again, ( Run Cheap good old fashion Petroleum Oil ) heat cycle them a few times and then ride it like a rental.

Come back response -

Heat cycle ???????? what do you mean.........

Then ride it like a rental ????????? Are you serious ????

I said start the sled up and let it get COMPLETELY warmed up to operating temp & then let it completely cool OUTSIDE and then do it again the next day.

Then Ride it like a rental, Let it have it with both barrels.

As far as Oil goes ( this could rasie some hell!!!! )

I am coinsidering VOIDING the three year warranty ( IF ) Polaris GOLD VES oil is used ( OR ) AMSOIL.

My Oils of choice

#1 - The cheap Castrol Oil
#2 - OLD Polaris BLUE ( Not the new stuff )
#3 - Old green Cat Petroleum OIL )

NO SYNTHETICS.

And I don't give a sh!t about the Valves ( CLEAN THEM )

EVERY CRANK I SEE WITH OLD OIL LOOKS BETTER AND HAS NO RUST!!!!!!

I have had countless motors aprt lately with Polaris VES Gold all to find bad pump seals and the O-rings completely detroyed by VES GOLD!!!!!

I can prove it 100%.

WPS ( Western Power Sports ) sells Castrol Oil it comes in a crapy looking green bottle and it retails for $19.95

I don't really care what anyone uses in my motors as long as its 100% Petroleum and ZERO SYNTHETIC.

I have some oil samples sent out to a testing company and some used bearing and if I can prove what type of oil is being run without a shadow of a doubt I am going to VOID the warranty of all my Bottom-ends for any oil related problems that have Polaris VES Gold or AMSOIL used in them.

Ok back to the Warm-up.

I have a guy that has worked for me part time for 15 years and out of all the motors I have built him Bigger and more modded then average motors.

He basicly never has crank or piston problems.

What does he do that most do not do................. He brings a big crank up stand with him every where he goes and lifts the entire sled and warms it up and the belt & track for at least a 1/2 hour before he even takes it down for fuel. Then the sled sits around and heat soaks for the next 1/2 hour.

Now for all you guys that fill up the night before so you can ( Pull and go ) the second you walk out the door. You will have more motor problems then the guy that warms it up.

The single most important thing you can do ( IMO )

Warm your sled up
Shut it off and let it heat soak
then drive to down for fuel and fill it up
Its heat soaking again.
Now your ready to ride.

The colder it is outside the harder you need to work to slowly warm your sled up.

Another note.............. He has NEVER been blowen a belt sense he started riding.

That also goes for me.................. I have NEVER blowen a belt on my own sled.........NEVER. However I have blowen a few on customer sleds.

The warm up of the track and belt is priceless.

Its all very simple WARM-UP-WARM-UP-WARM-UP.

( Most ) crank problems on ALL makes of sleds are do to improper warm-up. PERIOD.

The factory is wrong about injector oil and so are most oil salesman.

Trust me, Amsoil salesman know little to nothing about oil, They only know what they have been programed by all the stupid flyiers given out by by the company of the product they pedal.

Tell me how many Amsoil guys would warranty your bottom-end for 3 years................

Syntheics have a place............I use " Extreme Blue Valvaline " In my Cummins in the winter and the trucks cranking ability is WAY better no doubt about it.

But as far as a sled motor goes the old stuff is BETTER.

Trust me them old Oil-injector pumps can just about pump tar, The oil doesn't need low pour points.

And 100:1 in every tank full is absolute utter magic, I have done it for 20 years and so have all my close friends.

1 pint per full tank full is about 100:1 close enough you don't need to measure just a close guess.

Happy riding!!!

Dan

Last edited:

06 Dragon

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Central Alberta
I am just getting my 03 doo short blocked, and my engine rebuilt, crank and all on my 06 900dragon. I was thinking of switching from the ves gold to Blue marble, maybe i should just go to costco and buy some castrol instead. Both engines will be basically new. Whats your opinion?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Blue marble

I am just getting my 03 doo short blocked, and my engine rebuilt, crank and all on my 06 900dragon. I was thinking of switching from the ves gold to Blue marble, maybe i should just go to costco and buy some castrol instead. Both engines will be basically new. Whats your opinion?

I can't say a word about Blue marble, Never ran it & even if I did I wouldn't be able to say anything about for 10 years or better.

After years and year of seeing motors apart the OLD oil stands alone and works better then the new synthetics in sleds and mixes much better with fuel and faster.

My opinion is I would buy TCW/Jasco rated Petroleum oil from any place you can find it as cheap as you can and run it.

The last people you should trust is racers with stickers on their hoods. They know less then anyone ( and they get new motors every year. ) poor example at best.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Dan... Awesome write up with sound engineering behind it..

Some questions...

If a case is "loose" can it be resized like a connecting rod with a cap.... shave the block .002 and then line hone or line bore the case for proper fit of the crankshaft?

If it is too "tight" do you line hone it to the proper spec?

Second, I dont understand the Polaris weight comment for use with the AC clutches... Is this because of the fixed pin design or for some other reason? I ask this because most of the quality afermarket weights for the 6 tower Poo and AC clutches are the same part number for the weights UNLESS the AC is the latest Fixed pin design.... is there a flaw in this marketing of the weights?

Third,
With the new bearing on the stock crank... will this be with the case mods, and truing the crank?
Will you be welding the pins? If not would this be an advisable upgrade?

Lastly,
Will you honor the warranty on mod motors.. IE Big bore kits, (like the 975) Nitrous, turbo?

Awesome job on the cranks!

( they MUST be cat weights or a Cat weight engineered copy ) NOT a Polaris weight

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dan... Awesome write up with sound engineering behind it..

Some questions...

If a case is "loose" can it be resized like a connecting rod with a cap.... shave the block .002 and then line hone or line bore the case for proper fit of the crankshaft?

If it is too "tight" do you line hone it to the proper spec?

Second, I dont understand the Polaris weight comment for use with the AC clutches... Is this because of the fixed pin design or for some other reason? I ask this because most of the quality afermarket weights for the 6 tower Poo and AC clutches are the same part number for the weights UNLESS the AC is the latest Fixed pin design.... is there a flaw in this marketing of the weights?

Third,
With the new bearing on the stock crank... will this be with the case mods, and truing the crank?
Will you be welding the pins? If not would this be an advisable upgrade?

Lastly,
Will you honor the warranty on mod motors.. IE Big bore kits, (like the 975) Nitrous, turbo?

Awesome job on the cranks!

Yes i will warranty a mod motor with NOS.

As for the crankcase fit, yes it can be corrected by a super thin cut of the case and resizing.

Of course the 800 is much easier becuase the crank has a straight thru bore and all bearing areas are the same size as where the 900 is a blind hole MAG side with a larger PTO bearing size so the set-up time is horrendous on the 900 compared to the 700/800 case.

As for the Cat & Polaris weights ( Before the fix pin clutch )

Number one - Polaris weights on a cat Pin tend to bind unless you clearance the pin alittle.

Number two - The cat weight has a lower heal pad and the weight rolls much deeper into the clutch and opens up the belt clearance it it rasies helll on cranks

If you know what your doing you can mis the weights around in each other clutches if this rings a bell to you then fine ( IF ) you don't FULLY understand what I am saying then you are in way over your head and you should only use brand specific weights in your brand clutch.

NOTE to all - when ever you try a different style or brand weight in your clutch you MUST check the belt side clearance to see if it has changed.

ALWAYS check it to a BRAND NEW belt ( NOT ) a used one that has been woren narrower so you can't tell the difference.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Dan,

Your 1/2 billet T-M is $2045 with free shipping according to your Ebay listing.

You list the 1/2 billet crank as "our crank $1595".....
and the full billet as $1995...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/polaris-900-crankshaft-new-Custom-Built-all-Billet_W0QQitemZ320199173718QQihZ011QQcategoryZ100456QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is a full billet T-M bottom end $400 more as well? ($2445 ??)

This warranty is fully transferable if you sell your sled, Which will add $$$$ to the sale price and instill confidence in new buyers.
Our 3 Year warranty 1/2 Billet Crankshaft -- MAG & PTO - Ends Only.
Our Machined & Drilled Crankcase
Our Crank --------------------------------------$1595.00
Our Crankcase Remachined Fitted-----$450.00

Total ---------------------------------------$2045.00 Ready to to Go!!!!! Free Shipping to any of the lower 48 states.

Premium Features