• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Different Motor in IQR??

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
Alrighty, so i built my 05 IQR with a 03 800 Ves with Twin SLP Race twins. 146x2.5 track. Sled is amazing and i love it BUT i want more now, Im addicted to big power. My question is what should i do motor wise. I could sell mine and get a roller to put an engine into or i could pull my carbed 8 and throw something else in. Im leaning towards pulling my 8 and throwing something else in since i like the sled otherwise and its already built to my liking and i am used to it.

I could go 700 or 800 CFI with boost
I could go Suzuki 8 with boost
I could go Suzuki 1000 NA

Obviously the 700 CFI is good motor but the 800 has its issues, however this would make for the easiest swap, polaris into polaris. I know some motors were good and some were bad and with a top end kit i think even under boost ill be ok.
I've seen m8 and m1000 motors into these chassis however i don't know to what extent the motor straps and such needed machining, etc, etc. I wouldn't want to use the diamond drive either. The cat 8 is one of the best IN MY OPINION and has proven itself for years.
I like the idea of the 1000 with pipe and can and a few engine improvements ill be up into 180-190hp without the hassle of boost. I like the idea of pull and go capabilities. Once again it would be a tight squeeze and some modding of things to get it to work.

I've ridden a m8 with boost, i've ridden a CFI8 with boost and both in my head are absolutely amazing.

Or i could shut up and ride the IQR for another season as is and rethink next summer.

What to do?

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I'm thinking about selling mine if you want one already built.

IQR2.jpg IQR1.jpg IQR3.jpg

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
Yeah i'd be interested but my IQR is already set the way i like it just want boost. Plus i know what you can make on that sled and i know what i can built mine for.

M
Mar 27, 2008
I have an 09 with a carls 910 and can't say enough about this torque monster!! I had an 05 800 set up very similar to yours. The 910 based off the 800 bb is a great motor in my experience!! I still have some pipe issues because I can't get the 800 twin SLP or crankshop 800 pipes to pull like it should but its still tons of fun!! I have a 146 assualt comp track under mine!! Super fun in spring snow!! This motor is perfect for everything I do. But I could see where boost would be more fun on big long pulls. It only cost me another $23 a tank in race fuel so it's not that crazy bad. Lol

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Building mine this summer with a F7 EFI motor, I build up my 09 CFR and used a Speedwerk 800 SX top and the thing is wild!! Around 170hp on pump with my race pipes. But my Idea with the F7 motor is to build it out to a 900 top end on a single pipe, or keep it stock and just boost the F7 yada yada yada. I will be using all 03 F7 stuff from secondary on but use a shorter belt from a 05 or something. But I have been messing with the layback motor Idea for sometime and the perfect deal came by and I bought it all off my buddy for a steal.
I will have pics coming up this summer as I plan to build it out to a 141 and put a 09 newer front end on it.
But the Cat motors in my eyes are so hard to beat in realiablity as I have a couple cranks knocking 20,000 miles and still in spec and were run very hard. I spent more money on bulk heads then motor parts.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I think i've got it figured out. Cat 900, not wanting to do a layover engine i opted for the old 900 BB. Found a couple with cranks trued and welded with either cutler kits or UBR kits. All are producing 200-220hp at elevation. To me i still want the pull and go, and with the right motor plate this engine bolts right in like my 800 in there now. Should be sweet when im done with it.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Have a spare crank on hand with those Hp's. They like to split in half after 3000miles of hard riding, any they will even still look good at that milage.
But they are nice motors in stock form, they hold there own for sure tho.

I plan to use my FTX motor plate in mine with the layback and just put studs in the bottom as there is places for it and not mount it like in the Cat chassis.

Premium Features