• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Mountain Max w/ '97 motor won't run

T
Dec 24, 2012
I have a 2002 mountain max 700. Blew the motor so I found a good motor from a 1997 SXVmax 700. Soon found out that the stator wires are different so I just took the stator from the 02 motor and put it in the 97 motor. I did however use the original magneto from the 97 motor because I figured it was balanced to that motor (the two magnetos looked identical other than the numbers and balancing drill holes). Dropped the motor in, it would fire right up for a fraction of a second then instantly kill. Have spark in all three but very little, just like a single arc. It acts like the stastor isn't drawing enough power. I believe it could have something to do with the stator - magneto combination. Any ideas?

M

MRFUSION

Aug 8, 2008
Peace River AB
Everything is very different. They went from an AC ignition to a DC system in 2001, they changed all the electrical components, CDI, Stator and Flywheel as well. Cheers Shad

Premium Features