• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
never argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with expirence.

by the way what do you do with all the old pistons from your mod?

whats it like to rebuild on the hill or are you one of those guys that we see getting towed out?

hows the the shoulder? my right wrist is a little sore from tuning the key!

i could go one all day but...

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
IMO Yamaha is the fourth (last) manufacturer for a reason, at least 200# overweight and no functional two stroke power (I refuse to deal with the four stroke weight penalty). Non-functional stock suspensions and just look stupid. So from my point of view, I don't even give Yamaha a second thought because the other three got my corner of the market covered very well and I haven't to date had to even consider my second (Skidoo) and third (Arctic Cat) choices in the years I was in the market. Of course I have been busy with family issues and have been absent from the sport for nearly ten years.

i can be hard on yammi & i have road them for years & love them i have liked everyone i have had .but it makes me mad knowing they could be so much better ,if they built us a actual mtn chassi instead of using a flatland sled & putting a longer tunnel & track on it.they can build the best mtn sled out there but will they do it:noidea:.the one thing i will say is no matter who you are or how much you flap your lips about light weight is the only way,there is truly not one other brand sled with a turbo that can put a smile on your face like a well set up yammi. in 2+ft of pow & the deeper the better & if you think your light weight 2stroke will keep up you are lying to yourself or your just stupid.:boink::loco::thumb:

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
I love my turbo yammys too, but dam they need to work a little harder at chassis development and weight. Aren't these guys supposed to be engineers.

Our sleds are great ----but only after we are done modifying them. We meaning your average Joe.

We will see right?

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
With the right mods on a Nytro, people would be surprised by the performance. Now it will never win the light weight award, but I want a reliable sled, which Nytro's have shown over the years. I was a two stroke rider for many years, and switched to a four stroke last year. Don't regret that decision at all. Like I said, with the right mods, the Nytro is a great sled and the weight isn't noticeable at all.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yes they are engineers however their main focus is in their biggest market share and that is trail sleds in the mid-west. One doesnt have to look too hard to see that. What is the first sled they released this year, an XTX which for all practical purposes is a trail sled with a slightly longer track for playing in flat feilds. What is the last inovation "Power Steering". Who needs powering steering on a sled, trail riders who log 100's of miles on the trail. What was the first sled that Polaris released an awesome mountain sled. What is their latest innovation. A belt drive system that cuts weight and add performance. I am guessing the other two companies will follow suit. Although Arctic cat needs to fix their issues with the 12's. From what i have been reading some are pretty serious. I can say first hand that their new chassis is incredibly easy to ride.

I think all of us would agree that if Yamaha put their mind to it they could have a very good mountain sled on a very dependable platform. I dont think it would ever be on top because weight is such a critical factor in the mountains. You can't get away from that fact. We can all see what the mountain riders have done to the Yamaha sleds with aftermarket parts to make them perform once they have made the switch to the 4-stroke. I dont think Yamaha will ever develop their mountain sled line because it is such a small market share for them. After all this is a business and their bean counters will always follow the trail of money. As the saying goes " it is what it is"

And Bill i think there would be a lot more converts to 4-strokes if everyone could ride as nice a nytro as you ride every day. But when you have to spend upwards of +$5000 to get them to work better on top of the priice of the sled itself that is not good for sales. The newer nytros are way better then the original 08's but you still have to spend considerable amount to get them to work good as mountain sled. I am waiting to see if and when they get a clue looking at all the aftermarket kits to fix the geometry of the front end of these sleds and how long it will take them to push their own solution into their porduction sleds. You can see some of that in their entrance back in the hill climb series. However that fix alone is +/-$7000 and will probably never been seen on the production side for that reason alone.

P

prairie poo

Dec 22, 2007
nipawin sk
I love my turbo yammys too, but dam they need to work a little harder at chassis development and weight. Aren't these guys supposed to be engineers.

Yamaha has stated time and again they are motor manufacturer first. That is where they put their pride.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Yamaha atvs, are and always have been the best in the industry, from the banshee to the raptor, from the warrior to the yzf 450. They also make unreal motorcycles, their stock 250 yz use to be faster then a mod honda. Our hpdi 225 outboard is flawless.... The snowmobile segment needs a huge update.... There is no reason they don't have the nytro as light as the skidoo four stroke with their pressurized casting process. They could offer a 800 two stoke with their HPDI technology but I'm sure that will never happen being they are pulling 2 stoke outboards from the lineup slowly, but it would be straight from left field and if it worked well they would gain some market share again. But all they need to do is offer a lighter then the cat turbo nytro with some suspension and chassis improvements, possible belt drive ( technology from star motorcycles)....

R
Nov 26, 2007
Central MN
And the winner is??? Me.. Better luck next year yamaha fans... The rest is BNG.... and other small changes.

t_srx120_495.jpg

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Yamaha makes imo the most reliable snowmobiles, but its time for a change. If they want to bring sales back in the west they need to lighten up the chassis and add some hp period. YAYA there great turboed but about 90 percent of the riders out there just want to buy a sled for a reasonable price and ride not do a bunch of mods.

B

BAAssault

Dec 11, 2011
Fargo, ND
Yamaha is apparently coming out with a out of the crate supercharged sled with 200hp. heard from a dealer in cooke city. that would be sick

T

towerrigger

Jul 9, 2008
Yamaha is apparently coming out with a out of the crate supercharged sled with 200hp. heard from a dealer in cooke city. that would be sick

Ya right...... Was it Joseph at the Super 8 in Cooke that told you that?:smokin:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Wow... BNG, really BNG.. wait, actually they look the same.

Yamaflop!

Premium Features