• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help!! West Yellowstone or Island Park

T

tfrick821

Nov 27, 2007
eastern ia
So I kind of took responsibility for planning the sledding trip this year and need some help. We have a group of 6 and have been going to cooke for the last few years, great riding, but looking for a change of scenery. I was pretty much set on I.P. but now have some concerns. A few other local guys have been going to West for like 20 years and said the trails are crap down at I.P. and have all the other guys in my group all concerned. Personnaly I dont give a crap about the trails, just want to get into the backcountry, and a couple of the guys in our group are all about hill climbing.

I have heard good things about Two Top, what other areas can we find some good hills and where would we want to stay (West, Henrys Lake, Macks Inn...) to have these areas within 10-15 miles by trail?

Thanks in advance for the advice, and helping a dumb Iowan

P
Dec 3, 2007
Trails, IMHO, are generally better in the IP area than West Yellowstone. There is a ton of sled traffic coming in and out of West Yellowstone, less people over on the Idaho side = less hammered up trails.

Good offtrail by areas by Island Park are Two Top, Lionshead (about mid-way between IP and West), and of course Mt Jefferson. The hills are not very big, but Black Canyon is also a fun play area after a good dump of new snow.

REDMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2005
Dayton, Mn
I agree, the trails always seem better in island park. We stay at the pines in IP. Really nice cabins, restaurant on site.

S
Nov 27, 2007
WI
I'm in agreement with the other guys. The IP area has it all, My group has never complained about the trails or the hospitality. Mt Jefferson can be a blast but bring you AVY gear and monitor the conditions. Another less traveled play area is Bishop MT. Enjoy!!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Another vote for IP. We stayed in West Yellowstone last year for a change of scenery and won't make that mistake twice!

C
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Idaho
Just a kidding, you will thoroughly enjoy IP. You can stay by Henry's and have super fast access to jefferson, two top, etc.. you can also stay by shop gun and have super fast access to the other side of jefferson. But wherever you end up, good riding is all pretty close together. Plenty of good places to eat, Boondocks is not to be missed and is over by shot gun. There is also a place on Elk Lake that is only accessible by sleds in the winter. I'm sure there are plenty of snowesters from around here that would enjoy helping your group out once you get here as well.

Premium Features