• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled WAS running great...

L
Mar 8, 2008
I would say there is a exhaust valve issue, where they for som reason is not opening or there is an issue with the sensor reading the exhaust valve movement.
If the sensor says the valves are closed the engine will not rev above 7200.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
I would say there is a exhaust valve issue, where they for some reason is not opening or there is an issue with the sensor reading the exhaust valve movement.
If the sensor says the valves are closed the engine will not rev above 7200.

Yup...i'd be looking at the rave position sensor. Just went through this with a customer of mine who was having a 7300 rpm problem that was trying to figure out probelm by changing flyweight. Engine was not responding even with clicker changes.

Changed position sensor and 8100 and now has to pile the flyweight back in.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
The Rave valves were my first thought as well. The dealer was thinking maybe a fuel pump, or maybe the ECU...

Ace

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
The Rave valves were my first thought as well. The dealer was thinking maybe a fuel pump, or maybe the ECU...

Ace

I have the same sled and is at the dealer right now. First time it was in they found the fuel pressure regulator gasket was bad and I was not getting enough fuel pressure which was causing a hard start issue and poor running. Next time I took it out it wouldn't turn more than 6800 rpm and the snow was deep and we wanted to ride.

Cranked the clicker to 6 which did bring RPM up along with blowing up a belt. Chalked it up to the prior belt being bad so put on the new spare and turned the clickers back down to 4 and the sled seemed to run ok for a while. Then started having all kinds of weirdness. High idle, not able to go in reverse, hard starting.

Not sure at this point. Will let you know what the dealer finds out.

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
I have the same sled and is at the dealer right now. First time it was in they found the fuel pressure regulator gasket was bad and I was not getting enough fuel pressure which was causing a hard start issue and poor running. Next time I took it out it wouldn't turn more than 6800 rpm and the snow was deep and we wanted to ride.

Cranked the clicker to 6 which did bring RPM up along with blowing up a belt. Chalked it up to the prior belt being bad so put on the new spare and turned the clickers back down to 4 and the sled seemed to run ok for a while. Then started having all kinds of weirdness. High idle, not able to go in reverse, hard starting.

Not sure at this point. Will let you know what the dealer finds out.
There's a part called a manifold that has vacuum lines running to it, it's part of the rave system. Have your dealer hook up the sled to the buds system and start the sled on a jack stand. Check the voltage of the raves at idle and then watch it as you increase the throttle to make sure it stays in the ranges. Mine was showing the voltage at half open at idle, once the rpms got up and got the voltage in range it ran well. Might not be your problem but a stupid cheap part that can fail.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
bulletin 2015-17 drop of engine rpm at wide open throttle or hard to start when hot

the fuel pressure regulator may pop out of its housing resulting in a drop in fuel pressure. This could lead to...
-an important engine rpm drop with continuous operation at w.o.t.
-difficult start when engine hot.

solution - inspect the position of the fuel pump pressure regulator with a borescope.
Install the regulator bracket if required

Premium Features