• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro or M8

W
Dec 16, 2009
The wet weight between the HCR and the nytro mtx was only 45lbs!

That may be true I have never weighed my M8 sno pro. My boosted Nytro weighed in at 600 lbs FULL of Fuel

DSC00236.jpg

All i know is that the stock M8 feels much lighter when I am riding it. Whatever that weight may be it feels lighter than a completely modded turbo Nytro

I know the nytro is a great machine. But im getting old and i need a light sled to throw around.

Congrats! I think with todays sleds reliability is less than an issue as it has been in the past. My riding group was primarily yammis for the past 4 seasons. Most of us switched this season and love it.

In the end I loved my nytro. It was a fun build. Coming from a turbo Apex it felt light as a feather. Now on an stock M8 and the only time i miss the power is when it's 3+ feet deep of fresh powder. It's also nice not riding a sled that you have spent tons of $$$$ modding the sled

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I think if i was wanting a light weight sled to throw around i would go with a pro rmk. The AC is almost as heavy as the nytro.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Do Nytro's have the same fuel range as the others for a good days ride?

I ride WOT about 90% of the time and I'm lucky to get 45-50 miles in on a tank. The nytro only holds 7 gallons of fuel where as the other brands hold 10+. I usually carry a spare gas can with me if I know we are going to be riding 5+ hours. Better safe than sorry!

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I rode a nytro for a day when I was looking at buying one, and hated it. Given it had simons gen two skis. But I hated it, I couldn't get the thing to carve, I could feel I was fighting the skis, but how much of it was only the skis I don't know. It would hold a high speed side hill well, but the sled in any technical stuff just wasn't an option, I did get used to the chassis a bit towards the end, and it got a bit better, but I was ridding with an M that day, and switching back and forth there was no question for me. I wish i could have ridden one with stock, or a least normal width skis for a more real idea. But from what I have ridden the nytro, no thanks. Reliability is good though. Great point and shoot sled, but not tight tight boondocking in the trees. Of the two, I would say M8 hands down. But that's my riding style.

K

KJFarmer

Aug 24, 2009
North Dakota
Takes more than a day to get used to a rider forward sled i think. Rode mine for three days and thought i should just go back to an M, 4th day got a little better and from then on i love it and don't really care for the M's when i hop back on one and ride.

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
I agree it does! But The Nytro just wouldn't have worked for me. I was SHOT at the end of that day. Given we rode pretty hard, but I could feel the weight of it. I came off of a dragon, and ride an IQr mod (see my sig) So rider forward is not new for me, it was not a sled that I could see myself on long term. I can hardly ride an M anymore now that I'm used to the IQr, but I would rather take the M over the nytro. Not saying the nytro is bad, or not a capable sled, it just wasn't working for me.

S
Apr 12, 2011
Watch this first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W7C54TXQLc

That's as close of a comparison as you can get without you being on the hill with all 4 manufacturers.

Now the 2 sleds in question are the M8 and the nytro. The M8 HCR is actually lighter than the standard or sno-pro M8 so I've been told. The wet weight between the HCR and the nytro mtx was only 45lbs! That's a lot less than what all the 4-stroke haters on here will tell you! Also notice that the HCR weighs 25lbs more than the pro, but you don't hear everyone saying that the HCR is a fat pig. A timbersled rear suspension and drop brackets will drop around 25lbs on a 2010-11 and 2008-09 saves 38lbs. A full exhaust system will drop around 7-8 pounds and get you up to 150+ hp with a fuel controller.

So you will have a reliable mountain sled that weighs very close to the M series sled, comparable horsepower, but an ENORMOUS torque band. Also the operating/maintenance cost of a Yamaha 4-stroke is incredible!

The number 1 thing I would do to a nytro is to swap out the track...The Maverick isn't worth it's weight in dog sh** and the benefit of a different track is something you won't be able to comprehend until you do it.

Hmmm, the M8 2011 I have is the best sled I ever had and ever rode. The balance in the M8 in sidehilling, the ability to cruise downhill between trees without anything like a wrestling match. M8 is near to perfect out of the box and the only thing who could beat it would maybe be a non stock M1000 or a RMK.

When you bought the nytro and swapped the track, the boogie, skiis, the exhaust system even then its is not close to a M8. Yamaha is a great machine if you prefer it and like the fatique in the end of the day. The M8 is the machine who is near perfection out the box.

I quit riding 2 smokes in 2008 sold all 4 cats and bought 4 Yammis kids have phazer mtx, wife and I ride Apex and Nytro Mtx. Just ordered 2 new Nytro with boost. The thing that I know is this, we ride 2500 plus miles a season with 2 smokes always some thing needs done pistons rings jugs etc etc.

With a Yammi once a season oil change. I always change belt at oil change but never had a bad belt just preventitive. Hyfax two set a season Yammis are hard on hyfax even grafite ones. Grease as needed. Thats it in 15,000 more miles I will need a valve adjustment.

I wonder at 25,000 miles when I am getting my first valve adjustment how many motors a M8 would have had replaced.

Pistons rings etc every 4k miles thats 500 then at 8k miles a new engine theres $3,000 then 12k pistons rings etc again 16k motor again $3,000 at 20k pistons rings etc $500 24k Another engine theres $3,000 Thats $10,500 in engine rebuilds.

When I have had 10 oil changes for a total of about $750 and 250 for valve adjustment. Didnt figure in all those gallons of 2 smoke oil at $50 a gallon. and all the extra fuel a 2 smoke uses.

Thanks for reminding me how having a reliable quality sled has saved me money every season. How could I be so dumb to ride a Yamaha. Thank you Yamaha

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Hmmm, the M8 2011 I have is the best sled I ever had and ever rode. The balance in the M8 in sidehilling, the ability to cruise downhill between trees without anything like a wrestling match. M8 is near to perfect out of the box and the only thing who could beat it would maybe be a non stock M1000 or a RMK.

When you bought the nytro and swapped the track, the boogie, skiis, the exhaust system even then its is not close to a M8. Yamaha is a great machine if you prefer it and like the fatique in the end of the day. The M8 is the machine who is near perfection out the box.

I respectfully disagree with your post, I respect your opinion and I'm not trying to persuade anyone here.

Premium Features