• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear skid set back?

Fast Rider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
Well to start with..pick up a sled...

I've heard good things about this setup:
-stock skid in stock mounting position
-144" extension with 8" wheels (only the inner 2)
-limiter straps sucked up a few holes
-throw a 2" lug on there and hangon
-setup works better with a lowered front end or dropped spindles but the years you're looking at you should be alright

This will keep the changes in handling characteristics to a minimum.

I believe Tom runs this setup (his might be a 136" though) up there in AK. Pretty sure he only has an 1.25" lug and says it goes good. It won't be a RMK though, but that's a sacrifice you make to run this chassis (well worth it imo).

Now plan to meet in Big Sky sometime this spring to tear it up for a few days.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
bringing this back to the top. If race teams do it for a more consistent hole shot wouldn't they extend rails to put more track on the ground? Pulling the skid back doesn't put more track on the ground there really, don't follow you for the holeshot.. Maybe I'm being an idiot there though which is quite possible.

R
Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I am running a 1" set back, 136 ice age rails, and a 141" track. After the initial high ski pressure and ill handling, I lowered the front suspension 2" and all of the negatives went away. I have a much better handling sled on the trail and rough stuff than stock, and it gets up on top of soft snow much much better.

DSC03085.jpg

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
nice roadwarrior. with going 1" back and 8" wheels I assume since its ice age were there any issues with having enough track adjustment? It looks like you have plenty of room with in the pic. Do you have a pic of the attack angle of the track by any chance? What track are you running?

Thanks

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Looks good Roadwarrior. Im using 144 ice age rails and 7 tooth 2.86 drivers with a 146 assault track. i had to move my skid back 1.5". Not sure how this will effect riding but hopefully it wont hurt the handling too bad.

Roadwarrior how do u like the slydog skis on ur iqr?

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
I am running a 1" set back, 136 ice age rails, and a 141" track. After the initial high ski pressure and ill handling, I lowered the front suspension 2" and all of the negatives went away. I have a much better handling sled on the trail and rough stuff than stock, and it gets up on top of soft snow much much better.

Wow, only slid it back 1"? Hmm, looks really nice. I have the same Ice Age rails with 8" wheels. Did you use a brand new track? Looks like you still have alot of adjustment. I moved mine back 2.5" had alot of adjustment also but can't be leave your not out of adjustment only moving 1" back. Awesome. Hmm, what are you running for a track? Looks like maybe you did the 3.0 drivers and tracks, if so maybe thats where some of the difference is (bigger drivers).

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Wow, only slid it back 1"? Hmm, looks really nice. I have the same Ice Age rails with 8" wheels. Did you use a brand new track? Looks like you still have alot of adjustment. I moved mine back 2.5" had alot of adjustment also but can't be leave your not out of adjustment only moving 1" back. Awesome. Hmm, what are you running for a track? Looks like maybe you did the 3.0 drivers and tracks, if so maybe thats where some of the difference is (bigger drivers).

U know i was kinda wondering that same thing when i read it. Looks like a pretty tall track to run bigger drivers and not run into a clearance problem tho.

R
Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
In the first pic, the track was almost new. It is just a Camo challanger 2" 141, 2.52 pitch. I had Ice Age move the axel location back 8", and up for 8" wheels. There is enough clearance for a 2.4", and it may go on soon.

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
Yeah my Ice Age rails are made for 8" wheels. Did you have them do something special? How did you come up with the 1"?

Premium Features